E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Lost power to signals, steering wheel buttons, radio and windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz E320 4Matic
Lost power to signals, steering wheel buttons, radio and windshield wipers

Hey guys new to the forum so hello ad I apologize ahead of time if I am posting an old thread. I have a 2002 E320 4matic. Twice now once while I was driving and once this morning when I started the car I have had certain electrical components not work. So the main thing is the signals. Obviously I can't even get out of the driveway without those. But also I had no steering wheel buttons working, radio, windshield wipers or heated seats. Now my power windows worked, my fog light indicator light on the dash lit up so I would assume that my headlights worked. This morning I just turned the car off and restarted it and hoped for the best. Thank god it worked. The other time was about two weeks ago while I was driving. I believe power went out around the time I had punched in the cigarette lighter. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am stumped! Again thank you so much.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
sounds like a bad ground, but you know what that means----loads of wires to check correctly---the alternative find an indy with good diagnostics and he will find the fault quickly--yep it is going to cost
Old 08-05-2014, 04:40 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz E320 4Matic
Hmm yeah I heard it could be a bad ground or SAM or even a body control module. Tough to say I'm gonna get dirty pretty quick here any additional comments would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-24-2015, 08:28 PM

E320 2002
Something to try before dealer visit

I went to the fuse box in engine compartment and pulled each fuse one at a time and cleaned the fuse blades with a cardboard fingernail file the women use. After finishing that, went to my old problems with things operating intermittently. Oxidation and corrosion in any electrical plug-in, relay, fuse, harness, etc. is going to interrupt the normal operations. Hitting potholes are jarring some of these oxidized connection and you get intermittents or failures of some operation. So get to cleaning first before the dealer does it for you for his price.