E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

New 97 E320 owner needs stereo help

Old 09-02-2014, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320
Question New 97 E320 owner needs stereo help

So I just got a 1997 E320 after my 1993 300se was wrecked. I know that I didnt get around to upgrading the stereo in the 300SE because it was a pain in the *** due to the special amps n such that required a complete overhaul to upgrade the head unit. I know that the old 80's models you could just swap out the head unit no problemo but im guessing that the 97 E320 is going to be more complicated then that. Can anyone tell me what is required to switch out and install a new head unit for this model? I would like to just swap out the head for a simple cd player that reads mp3 and has front aux input and keep the existing speakers and wiring if possible.

the poor girl

the new girl
Old 09-02-2014, 08:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2 2001 E320s, 2005 E320 4Matic
It is not terribly challenging. First thing you need to know is if you have the Bose system or not. If not it is just a matter of using the Metra 70-1784 wiring harness and an adapter for the antena. Bose unit gets a little more complicated. If you do a forum search here and at benzworld you will find many DIY's. Also take a look at crutchfeild.com They have all the harnesses and adapters.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:29 AM

W210 e240
I hope whoever was in that car is ok and congrats on the new car.

The Aux input is easy, there are many writeups on how to install a custom aux cable(one of them is mine :P :angel )
but if you really want a cd player that's going to be another issue, though it can be fabricated
post pictures of the radio label and it's wiring
Old 09-03-2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hashem.M
I hope whoever was in that car is ok and congrats on the new car.

The Aux input is easy, there are many writeups on how to install a custom aux cable(one of them is mine :P :angel )
but if you really want a cd player that's going to be another issue, though it can be fabricated
post pictures of the radio label and it's wiring
No modifications or fabrication needed to swap head units regardless of features such as CD player, aux out, USB, Bluetooth etc. New headunit slides into the single din cage. Swap may require a new bezel or trim which usually comes with the headunit. The only real issues come into play when you have the Bose system. The new headunit needs 4volt preamp outs, and the proper wiring harness.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:31 AM

W210 e240
my bad

Originally Posted by RichM
No modifications or fabrication needed to swap head units regardless of features such as CD player, aux out, USB, Bluetooth etc. New headunit slides into the single din cage. Swap may require a new bezel or trim which usually comes with the headunit. The only real issues come into play when you have the Bose system. The new headunit needs 4volt preamp outs, and the proper wiring harness.
I used "fabricated" instead of "modified", "modded to work with the current head unit" is what i meant" .
i Assumed that he wants these function regardless of having to change the headunit or not but if he wanted to change the headunit it self that's another story.anyway we'll help when more info is provided

P.S:if i didn't make anysense never mind cuz i didn't understand what i wrote either
Old 09-03-2014, 02:26 PM
-B-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E 320
with the Bose I had to modify the harness and add an aux power source for the radio. But the 97 is different yet requires a slight mod. It's nothing hard, moving harness wires or adding an aux. There is a ton of info on this forum regarding what needs done with diagrams and wire colors.....search bar is your friend.

If your uncomfortable with it, a reputable shop should only cost around $100 to do it.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:23 PM

I used "fabricated" instead of "modified", "modded to work with the current head unit" is what i meant" .
i Assumed that he wants these function regardless of having to change the headunit or not but if he wanted to change the headunit it self that's another story.anyway we'll help when more info is provided

P.S:if i didn't make anysense never mind cuz i didn't understand what i wrote either
Hashem, sorry if I came off as snarky. That was not my intention. If originality is important to you, then yes the aux cable is the way to go. I had Becker do the aux cable on one of my units. Works very well for my sat tuner, but I sometimes get some noise transfer from the cassette mechanism. On my other 210, I replaced the headunit. Much better option and great sound as compared to the oem Becker. It has an aux port, multiple USB ports as well as cd. If originality is not important, this is definitely the way to go.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:48 AM

W210 e240
Originally Posted by RichM
Hashem, sorry if I came off as snarky. That was not my intention. If originality is important to you, then yes the aux cable is the way to go. I had Becker do the aux cable on one of my units. Works very well for my sat tuner, but I sometimes get some noise transfer from the cassette mechanism. On my other 210, I replaced the headunit. Much better option and great sound as compared to the oem Becker. It has an aux port, multiple USB ports as well as cd. If originality is not important, this is definitely the way to go.
Don't worry man, it's cool
if noise you mean mechanical noise from the motor ant mechanism, then yes i agree but i only hear it when its very quite, i also oiled the mechanism carefully and its really quite now. but if you mean electric noise, well that can be fixed easily-i spent 5 years in university studying car and home audio on my own-.
the problem for me is that all of the head units on the market looks.. too... funky ??! i like the calm classic look
Old 09-04-2014, 01:55 AM

1997 E320
Thanks for all the information guys! I was the one in that wreck and Im still in the process of getting back to normal life but the E320 certainly has helped that =) So how do I know if I have the Bose unit? I dont see any logos or markings indicating its Bose on any of the speaker covers or head unit
Old 09-04-2014, 02:26 AM

W210 e240
Nothing better to help you recover than a sweet ride
if its easy for you take a pic of the wiring connectors on the radios behind
and the radio label.
also the bose amp - if its there- would be above the rear left wheel in the trunk, you can look for it here
Old 09-04-2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by DamianSicks
Thanks for all the information guys! I was the one in that wreck and Im still in the process of getting back to normal life but the E320 certainly has helped that =) So how do I know if I have the Bose unit? I dont see any logos or markings indicating its Bose on any of the speaker covers or head unit
If the rear speaker covers don't have the Bose insignia, there are a couple of ways to check. If you happen to have the original books, there should be a data card stapled to the service manual. Look for the 810 code. If no data card, there should be two attached to the car. Open the hood, and look for the data plaque on the front crossmember. Again look for 810. Also in the trunk, to the right of the light there should be a data sticker. 810 is the code for the Bose sound system. If you don't see the 810 code, you don't have the Bose sound system.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:04 AM

Don't worry man, it's cool
if noise you mean mechanical noise from the motor ant mechanism, then yes i agree but i only hear it when its very quite, i also oiled the mechanism carefully and its really quite now. but if you mean electric noise, well that can be fixed easily-i spent 5 years in university studying car and home audio on my own-.
the problem for me is that all of the head units on the market looks.. too... funky ??! i like the calm classic look
Yes, when it is quiet, I get that mechanical noise from the motor and the cassette mechanism. I have carefully oiled several times, but eventually the noise comes back. At speed, with engine and road noise, I don't hear it unless I am looking for it. It is worth putting up with as I really like the originality of the stock unit in this car. I have linguatronics, the V60 phone cradle with puck for Bluetooth and it works flawlessly, so it was important to me to keep the stock system.

I agree, some of the aftermarket headunits look tacky. The one I chose for my other 210 has an option in the color scheme for amber that closely matches the rest of the cars lighting. Some of them with the neon lighting can be overbearing.

Last edited by RichM; 09-04-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:06 PM

1997 E320
Rich I have the same annoying noise which makes it a must to have the radio on at all times. Ok so I looked in the trunk and while there is no amp there is an wire harness where the amp would be. I checked data card on door and couldnt find any 801. So am I right in assuming this is a non bose system then?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:34 AM

1997 E320
hey guys, do you need the harness or can you just splice the wires onto the new units harness? i have a chance to get a dirtcheap head unit for now but no adapter
Old 09-15-2014, 12:38 AM
-B-

E 320
harness costs $15-20 at your local shop or online (Crutchfield/Amazon etc) It's worth it. Don't hack up your harness.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:55 AM

1997 E320
Originally Posted by -B-
harness costs $15-20 at your local shop or online (Crutchfield/Amazon etc) It's worth it. Don't hack up your harness.
But theroretically could it be done by splicing without the purchase of a new harness? thata all I want to know.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:03 PM

W210 e240
Just slice em ! buy yourself something cool with the 15-20 you save
Old 09-15-2014, 04:21 PM

1997 E320
Just slice em ! buy yourself something cool with the 15-20 you save
omg I was so close, i found a great Head Unit used for $30 at best buy but it didnt come with the pioneer harness!!! so I couldnt even splice if I wanted to
Old 09-15-2014, 04:29 PM

W210 e240
If you mean you've got a headunit without its harness, well it happened to me and i took the unit apart and soldered some cables so that i could splice the car harness,,
Old 09-15-2014, 08:26 PM
-B-

E 320
sure, have at it. Should be plenty of threads with wiring diagrams and other useful info. It's fairly straight forward, power, aux and speakers. Figuring out which is which may take a little bit of time. But if I'm being honest, just asking the question tells me you don't have much experience so the harness may be worth it....on the other hand, it's a learning experience.

Though even if you decide to skip a harness, I'd leave the one in the dash in tact and use connectors to tap in a few inches away from the harness. Like these

Old 09-16-2014, 01:39 AM

W210 e240
Originally Posted by -B-
sure, have at it. Should be plenty of threads with wiring diagrams and other useful info. It's fairly straight forward, power, aux and speakers. Figuring out which is which may take a little bit of time. But if I'm being honest, just asking the question tells me you don't have much experience so the harness may be worth it....on the other hand, it's a learning experience.

Though even if you decide to skip a harness, I'd leave the one in the dash in tact and use connectors to tap in a few inches away from the harness. Like these

Regarding the experience. I'm a mechatronics engineer, and self taught in home and car audio. I've done alot of cars, but the thought of Mercedes' canbus and other tech is little intimidating at first.
I've read alot before going at my aux conversion and other mods
Old 09-16-2014, 01:58 PM
-B-

E 320
hope I wasn't offensive....didn't intend to be. Be sure to document and post if there isn't a thread on it already.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:18 PM

W210 e240
Originally Posted by -B-
hope I wasn't offensive....didn't intend to be. Be sure to document and post if there isn't a thread on it already.
Damn ! before i posted that comment, i wrote a huge comment(i ended up deleting it because am an insecure *****..anyway) regarding how you explained everything THEN wrote this:

" But if I'm being honest, just asking the question tells me you don't have much experience so the harness may be worth it." After that you wrote "....on the other hand, it's a learning experience.", which i admired alot.

Most people just say" by asking looks like you don't understand ****, go pay someone to do it" which is very discouraging. Your method made it sound like a warning or a (heads up) not discouragement