E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Allow me to introduce myself...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E320 sedan, 1990 Mazda Miata
Allow me to introduce myself...

As you can probably guess by my post count, I'm new here. Hopefully this sort of thing is kosher...

My name is Scot, and I am now the proud owner of a new-to-me '02 E320 sedan. I purchased this car for my wife last Thursday.

We found ourselves in a situation where her previous car (a '98 Sebring JXi convertible, if anyone cares ) had developed a serious oil leak and my attempts to fix it were not remedying the situation. Working on that car is frustrating, to put it kindly, and I was at a point where I was ready to move on.

We didn't have a lot to spend, and there just wasn't a lot out there that I thought we could afford. It seems like almost everything we could find, either my wife didn't like it because it was "soulless" (e.g., either a Toyota or a Honda) or I didn't like it because I thought it would be too expensive to maintain. Interestingly enough, the first listing she found on Craigslist that she actually liked was for a black 2002 E320 with about 120,000 miles listed for $5900.

I was pretty reluctant at first to buy one; my previous experience with a German car (a '82 Audi Coupe) was not a happy one. But after I did some research (much of it here before I joined) and talked to a few folks who own Benzes, I decided to take the plunge. As I got home from work last Thursday, I asked my wife if she wanted to take a look at this E320 she found online. She said sure, and off we went, cash in hand.

Well, we talked to the guy selling it, took a good look (the first place I looked was under the car; I did NOT want another leaker!), then my wife and I each drove it a short distance. Long story short, we took it home with us that evening.

I haven't gotten to drive it much other than taking it to have it smogged, but I gotta say I'm looking forward to that first road trip in the car. And it looks great for its age (there are a few blemishes, but nothing out of the ordinary for a 12-year-old car). Plus my wife is very happy with it so far.

As for MY daily driver, it's a '91 Miata if you're interested - which is a pretty solid car in its own right. Now I just need to get me a Fiat and I'll have all the Axis powers represented.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Well the good news is that you took the plunge,however I guess most would have not.

One thing that I would stress is be preemptive---find a good shop that really knows the MB systems before something does go wrong-----and in your area there are loads of whining members who wished they had done that when they purchased their car.

Good luck---don't forget to take the car to an MB dealer to get the free inspection and don't be scared with the results!!
Old 09-18-2014, 12:18 PM

2002 E320 sedan, 1990 Mazda Miata
I'm fairly comfortable with the mechanicals of an automobile and I do all my own work on the Miata, so aside from the greater cost (and quantity) of the various fluids the E320 requires the maintenance doesn't worry me. I will take it in for the free inspection, though.

And as it turns out, we purchased it from a mechanic who specializes in German cars, and we did get his card.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Welcome to the community Scot!!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Scott, welcome to the MB family.

The self maintenance is quite doable.