E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

1999 e320 Lots of Power Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 e320
1999 e320 Lots of Power Problems

My power driver seat/ steering wheel adjuster/ driver-side window + side mirrors/sunroof all are currently unresponsive(seat/mirror/side-mirror only not working on driver side; works everywhere else). My remote key also won't lock/unlock the doors (key batteries are fine, red light blinks; tried holding key next to door handle but still nothing).

This is my first car and I'm a real newbie at this. I did some research and I think I need to check the fuses. Someone said to disconnect 1 at a time and test if the specific function works. I don't even know where the fuses are at this point. Do I need to have the car on to do this? Someone else also recommended to just reset the battery and resync after. How do I go about resetting the batteries?

Another suggestion was to reconnect the driver side door control module. Does this mean I have to take off the door panels?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just really lost and not sure where to start diagnosing this. Thanks in advance
Old 10-05-2014, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
check the STICKYs at the top of the 210 forum over on Benzworld.org for many DIY, FAQs etc
Old 10-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
The stickies are great when you know what is the problem----The quickest way to start is to define the specific electrical problems-----that is done through a quick test or a scan!! Then solve the issues yourself with parts and your labor!!
Old 10-05-2014, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
You might start by finding the three fuse panels in your car. The first is under hood, driver's side (left) just in front of the master brake unit. The second is at the left end of the dash near the light switch. The door must be open to access the panel. The third is under right side rear passenger seat cushion. If not lost, each panel should have a fuse card showing the number and service for each fuse. The card in the first and third panel is the same except the card in front has the fuse numbers in bold for that panel. The one in back is just the opposite.
The practice of removing each fuse is usually reserved for finding a current draw which is running down the battery. Normally, just remove the fuse for the service which seems affected and test the fuse either with a continuity test (light and alligator clips) or DVM. It's easy to miss a blown fuse when checking visually. If they are still in place the front and back panels have spaces for extra fuses. If so you can use one of the those the check with. Just match the color to the one being removed.
If you don't have the cards, check benzworld as raymond suggested. Also, check there for procedures to re-sync your key to the car. This is not the same as re-syncing the windows express feature and sunroof.

Scanning the car (OBD) won't help much as there is no code for things like inoperative sunroof or window.

One final FYI - Disconnecting the battery ( a crude form of resetting the car's computer) will require you to have the radio code when next using the radio.

Note - Door locking uses a vacuum pump but sunroof and steering wheel are electrical. So perhaps you have multiple issues.

Last edited by RichardM98; 10-06-2014 at 09:45 AM.