E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Suggested PRE-TRANY REPLACEMENT troubleshooting progression:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 w210 4matic wagon
Suggested PRE-TRANY REPLACEMENT troubleshooting progression:

cheers, folks-

I've been rooting around the forum for a good bit. Many transmission troubleshooting-minded posts I've read contain multiple woes that inevitably least to replacement. While I respect the call to throw in the towel and move forward when things no longer make financial sense, haven't really seemed to find a process itemization that draws the line for me.

Essentially, the goal here is to find a general crowd-sourced process. What things are checked, in what order... And then,when does troubleshooting to avoid throwing money turn into just that?

I'm basically sitting on a new-to-me, pretty,and suddenly immobilized 2000 e320 4matic wagon. I'd really like to enjoy it but I'm realizing I have no idea what the previous owners and/or indy did to it. (Ugh). Transmission suddenly stopped engaging. High pitched whir. Check light, of course, lol. Haven't checked codes. There are countless repair possibilities! I know nothing... Yet.

Planning to have it towed for an ATF change, but have been holding out, reading-up... Aannnnnd, that's where I am.

I'm really looking forward to folks' thoughts !

And agains,
cheers-

Last edited by kiffalicious; 11-24-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Before you do something very outrageous do yourself a big favor and goggle--diagnosing MB transmissions----read the material for a week or two and then come back and revise your post!

PS: don't waste your time and money on flushing a broken toilet---your feet will get wet---locate the problem first!!
Old 11-24-2014, 05:43 PM

2000 w210 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Before ... diagnosing MB transmissions ... for a week or two ... revise your post!
Originally Posted by Plutoe
PS: don't waste your time... locate the problem first!!
I'm not sure I follow, Plutoe. Did you just talk in a circle? What are you saying?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Not to worry, after doing your homework you will learn that the diagnostic process is overall a clockwise circle rather than a counter clockwise circle you have proposed.

Do the search and all will be clear!!
Old 11-25-2014, 02:19 PM

2000 w210 4matic wagon
Okay. Thank you, Plutoe. Could you elaborate?

You seem to know what you're talking about, but keep beating around without sharing any thoughts or opinions of your own. I am looking for thoughts and suggestions on the process and cannot tell if you're trolling me or Passing-on sage advice in the form of witty (I laughed) banter.

Help me out?

Last edited by kiffalicious; 11-25-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:06 PM

2000 w210 4matic wagon
So the indie swooped it up

so, I mention my woes to the lil dealer I bought the wagon. He immediately says "it can't be the trans," and sends a flatbed. Poof. Car is gone off to a shop nearby the dealer. This is all about 35 miles or so away. Okay. Fun part, is the shop the wagon went to: one I'd just days earlier spoken to about my issue. Seems legit in the sense that I've met the mechanics. However- a.) said they don't do transmission work and b.) I just didn't like the reactions of the second, younger mechanic. Seemed he was familiar with the car but playing it off. So... For the recap-

- possibly decent shop
- they don't do transmission work
- what the heck are they going to do to pretend the thing works again? I've read DIY folk refer to "resets" and then ten miles down the road... Am I just paranoid?
... We'll see what they say in a coule days.

Last edited by kiffalicious; 11-25-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:36 AM

98 w210 e320 wagon
It could be a lot of things. I would have started at having the codes read. Then checking the tcm for fluid. The codes would help point you in the right direction most of the time. As far as the shop, its not unusual for a shop to not do trans work beyond fluid and filter changes. Automatic transmissions seem to be magic to most people. This is why transmission shops make a killing and rebuilt trans will run 3k. Dont get me wrong they can be complex but they are still machinery. Do you know if the shop has a star system?
Old 11-29-2014, 03:16 PM

2000 w210 4matic wagon
Star system- couldn't tell Ya. The car is already out. They "added fluid and cleaned the connection to the conductor plate" ... No CEL, has gears, no idea if the monkeys at this place looked at it at all, tbh.

I'm shopping for a shop with the star system... one locally is a possibility. Looking into it once the state of Turkeymergency has lifted.