E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Strange electrical problem involving trunk, power windows and door locks. Need Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E220 CDI
Question Strange electrical problem involving trunk, power windows and door locks. Need Help!

Hi, its been a long time since I posted here, usually I find all the solutions by searching older posts but this time I cant find much relating to my problem.

I have a 2001 E220 CDI. For many months I have been having this problem. I have even found a temporary solution for it but now I am looking for something permanent. So the problem is something like this ....

Day 1: Everything is working normal.
Day 2: Everything is still working normal.
Day 3: The trunk stops responding to key fob and console switch but unlocks with the metal key. Everything else is working normal.
Day 4/5: Trunk still not responding and now one of the front power windows switch stops functioning as well.
Day 6/7: Later on locking/unlocking from key fob becomes sluggish.
Day 8: I reset everything by unplugging the negative battery terminal. Few seconds later all is back to normal and life is good again BUT 2 days later same problem starts again.

And then the whole cycle repeats itself on weekly basis ...

What I have tried so far,

1) I have replaced the battery but no luck.
2) I unplugged the electrical wires from PSE vacuum pump, cleaned up the terminals with WD40 (several times). Checked all vacuum pipes. Visually everything seems fine. However, the PSE is just sitting there under the seat, there is no foam packing, no strap, nothing to hold it in position.

What should I do next? Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I would first test the key fob batteries and obviously replace the low voltage ones--if the batteries are up to voltage----then you have loads of things to be tested to determine the faulty part, however with what is going on in your country, I suspect that you could live with the trunk release problem, because you do not have the diagnostic equipment to isolate the problem----my suggestion check the batteries and if ok, live with the problem!!
Old 12-18-2014, 05:12 PM

2001 E220 CDI
Thank you Plutoe for the reply, I have already checked the key fob batteries and they are fine. We do have the Mercedes diagnostic equipment here, quite a few actually. But I was hoping to fix the issue on my own (if possible) ...
Old 12-20-2014, 03:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
01 E320
Originally Posted by Plutoe
I would first test the key fob batteries and obviously replace the low voltage ones--if the batteries are up to voltage----then you have loads of things to be tested to determine the faulty part, however with what is going on in your country, I suspect that you could live with the trunk release problem, because you do not have the diagnostic equipment to isolate the problem----my suggestion check the batteries and if ok, live with the problem!!
are you kidding me? Can someone ban this clown, like the other Benz forums that already have?

Last edited by 01BlackE320; 12-20-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:23 PM

01 E320
I had a similar problem after my pse got wet from hurricane sandy. Some of the pins on the two pse connectors on the side with lots of wires lots were burned away. The trunk would work a few times after a power reset but then it wouldn't. I also notice my rear interior lights weren't working and my rear doors wouldn't always lock. I lived with it for 2 years but just installed a PSE I bought used on eBay and it all works perfectly now. I spliced in the plugs from the pse I bought
Old 12-20-2014, 04:45 PM

2001 E220 CDI
Originally Posted by 01BlackE320
I had a similar problem after my pse got wet from hurricane sandy. Some of the pins on the two pse connectors on the side with lots of wires lots were burned away. The trunk would work a few times after a power reset but then it wouldn't. I also notice my rear interior lights weren't working and my rear doors wouldn't always lock. I lived with it for 2 years but just installed a PSE I bought used on eBay and it all works perfectly now. I spliced in the plugs from the pse I bought
Thank you, I will start looking for the PSE unit.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:09 PM

01 E320
Originally Posted by Ahtasham
Thank you, I will start looking for the PSE unit.
Search my earlier posts on this topic. A lot of members provided great advice