E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

1996 E320 cranks but doesn't start - security?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 E320, 2010 GL450
1996 E320 cranks but doesn't start - security?

It's been a couple of weeks since I started the car since I've been busy with my son's car (which is not this one).

So, my son has been into cars lately and just playing around in the Benz, can't help but play with buttons and happened to leave lights on and killed the battery. So much so that when I hooked up the charger, the flashers started going - not even enough juice to power the flashers ... yikes.

So yeah, now I have to figure out how to unlock the radio, the car now turns over and doesn't start. I tried the reset trick with turning the ignition on, pressing the gas pedal for 5 seconds, turning the ignition off and releasing the gas pedal - waiting about 5 minutes before trying again. Still nothing.

The red/green lights flash alternatively on the rear view, never seen that before. I don't have a key fob for the car, just the blade key. So I'm thinking it's probably some security thing going on which is keeping it from starting. I'm just guessing of course.

Any tricks to get this thing going?
Old 02-20-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 E320/BMW 740IL
Unhappy SECURITY PROB 96 E320

Hey this is my first time posting a problem so excuse me if I leave out some details I have a 96 E320 and I think I have the same problem my alturnator stopped working the other day and by the time I got home the battery was drained completely car stopped in front of my house, before it stopped I got several warning lights on the dash. I replaced the battery the next day to take it to the shop to test and or replace the alturnator if nessasary and now it wont start (?????) I did not get the flashing lights on the mirror when the key was turn to start the car which indicates a security problem. I was told your key when you lock and unlock vehicle at the door should work to restore security status. That did not work for me, if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.