E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Aftermarket headunit install with Bose for klutzes...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 09:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
01 E320
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer
You either need a different head unit, with higher voltage output on the preamp (RCA) outputs to use a new 17-1786 harness with (and likely, to avoid "pops" and whine, a ground loop isolator), or you can use a line output converter (this converts from SPEAKER level to LINE level) between your current head unit and new 17-1786 harness, so that you can use your current head unit.

The converter you linked to on Crutchfield would work.
I have nearly the same kenwood head unit and the preamp output matches up perfectly with my Bose amp. It sounds perfect and so much better than the original unit. I love it
Old 03-08-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350 4Match Wagon
Originally Posted by 01BlackE320
I have nearly the same kenwood head unit and the preamp output matches up perfectly with my Bose amp. It sounds perfect and so much better than the original unit. I love it
Just curious you didn't find it "subdued"? I didn't get volume especially out of rear speakers necessary to act like a teenage boy.

Anyway, I am planning on installing the PAC because it makes sense that the speaker output is putting more volts/watts/ power / heat / energy whatever than is the pre-amp output.

But I continue not to understand why it isn't blown up already or why the benzworld members are so adamant that a LOC is not required. I also read
http://www.mbcluster.com/Products_Audio.htm

"Drive speaker out directly from the head unit to amplifier input. This may seem counter intuitive at first, meaning an amplified signal being re-amplified, however this is, in fact, how your OEM system is configured"

So the BOSE amplifier can handle such divergent source inputs on the same wire? And the original head unit was generating speaker-level output not a 4-volt preamp signal?

Never dreamt it would be this crazy. Also not sure I am actually going to install LOC myself as it has to be tuned to 4 volts.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
much of this is lost on me. my skill set doesn't include sound system installations
....yet. but i do admire you for applying critical thinking here.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2 2001 E320s, 2005 E320 4Matic
The info from MBCluster is interesting. Like I said in a previous post, my concern is heat buildup the amp can't dissipate. Especially in a hot climate environment like Texas in my instance. Then again, in a milder climate, with the amp getting plenty of air circulation, and the large cooling fins this may be a non-issue. Since you live in a northern climate, then leave it alone and see how it goes. When it gets hot in the summer if the amp overheats it will likely blow a fuse prior to completely overheating. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

Last edited by RichM; 03-08-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by raymond g-
much of this is lost on me. my skill set doesn't include sound system installations
....yet. but i do admire you for applying critical thinking here.
The easy answer is, a $20 converter box solves the problem. You won’t have to worry about cooking the amp or the Kenwood’s unbalanced output signal.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
01 E320
Originally Posted by garytalda
Just curious you didn't find it "subdued"? I didn't get volume especially out of rear speakers necessary to act like a teenage boy.

Anyway, I am planning on installing the PAC because it makes sense that the speaker output is putting more volts/watts/ power / heat / energy whatever than is the pre-amp output.

But I continue not to understand why it isn't blown up already or why the benzworld members are so adamant that a LOC is not required. I also read
http://www.mbcluster.com/Products_Audio.htm

"Drive speaker out directly from the head unit to amplifier input. This may seem counter intuitive at first, meaning an amplified signal being re-amplified, however this is, in fact, how your OEM system is configured"

So the BOSE amplifier can handle such divergent source inputs on the same wire? And the original head unit was generating speaker-level output not a 4-volt preamp signal?

Never dreamt it would be this crazy. Also not sure I am actually going to install LOC myself as it has to be tuned to 4 volts.
Not subdued at all. It totally cranks to the limit of the speakers. I turned on the bass boost to,the first setting on the Kenwood at it absolutely cranks to trunk vibrating levels