E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Couple of issues, '98 E330 4M wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E320 4matic wagon
Couple of issues, '98 E330 4M wagon

I just bought a '98 E320 4matic wagon that is in very good condition. It was a single owner car that was dealer maintained until last year. I am waiting to get tags, title, and insurance (next week), so I am trying to take care of a few issues in the mean time.

The first issue would be the dome lights. They don't seem to work with any of the doors. I have been told that it could be a problems with the electronics in the vacuum pump module under the rear seat. Since they don't come on with any of the doors, I am assuming that it isn't just a door switch. Any advice?

The second issue is the rear hatch. When I try to open it, you can hear it trying to do something, and the hatch moves a bit, but doesn't open. It will pull itself closed. After a few tries, it will finally open. I'm sure I'll have to tear into it, but I'll need to get to it during the day some time... maybe on sunday. If anyone has any helpful hints, I'm all ears.

Other than that, I'll be doing an engine oil/filter change, transmission fluid/filter change, plus engine air and cabin filters. I have bought all OEM or other German filters and RedLine synthertic lubricants.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
From Page 74 of your Owners Manual -

1 Door contact switch:
Press once and interior lamps are
switched on when opening a door.
Interior lamps are switched on,
and off (soft fade) delayed, when
unlocking or locking the vehicle,
or when opening or closing a door.
However, there will be no (soft
fade) delay when the electronic
key is in steering lock position 2.
Press again and interior lamps
remain switched off, even when
centrally unlocking or opening a
door

Make sure Switch #1 is in the on position.

Last edited by RichardM98; 02-27-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:48 PM

1998 E320 4matic wagon
I believe the problem is in the electronics (dimming circuit), since the lights will not come on at all.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:37 PM

1998 E320 4matic wagon
Okay... I spent some time in there today, and I think the problem is in the rear hatch. My theory is that it 'thinks' the hatch is open. When I pulled and replaced the fuse, the dome lights came on. They would NOT go off when the doors were closed (yes, in the door mode). Eventually, it times out and they go off. I am able to turn them on manually, though. Also, the central door lock button won't lock the doors but will unlock them. Maybe due to it thinking a door is open? Also, the auto-dimming feature does not work. I have read in the manual that it won't work when the dome lights are on, so this makes sense -- it thinks a door is open, so it wants the dome lights on all the time.

Thoughts?

Oh, and the alarm went off once when I tried to open the hatch. I may not have unlocked the doors first, so I think the hatch wasn't locked, but the alarm was armed. I haven't tried to replicate that scenario yet. Still thinking it has to do with the hatch.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:04 PM

400E widebody
did you find out?

mine is acting the same