E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Electromagnetic backup sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 4Matic wagon
Electromagnetic backup sensors

After lurking in the shadows for awhile here's my first post. Many thanks to all who have posted in the past and the assistance it gave me.

A recent addition to the new to me 2001 E320 (W210) wagon was an electromagnetic reverse sensor.

Astonishingly inexpensive addition. I bought this one for $13.09
Amazon.com : Aokdis Most Effective Electromagnetic Auto Car Parking Reversing Reverse Backup Radar Sensor : Automotive Amazon.com : Aokdis Most Effective Electromagnetic Auto Car Parking Reversing Reverse Backup Radar Sensor : Automotive

1 hr install.

Remove the spare.
Clean the backside of the lower rear bumper fairing with alcohol.
Start on the left side and apply the foil tape, trim to length.
There's a wire loom in the rear right heading to the liftgate hing. Remove the outer wrap.
Locate the gry/yellow striped wire. This is there the (+) for the unit splices in. Probe it first with the car in reverse, key on (NOT RUNNIG) to be sure.
There is a (-) body ground with brown wires in the immediate vicinity as well.
Thread the harness for the unit through the body work so it can be mounted low, away from the spare.
Thread the speaker to where you would like it. I put mine behind the black plastic rear cover support. It is loud enough for me located there.
There is a rubber knock out drain in the very rear of the spare tire storage area. Pierce that to thread the sensor input wire through.
Tidy everything up with zap straps and tape. I used additional stick pads to ensure the sensor tape stays in place.
Test setup by putting the car in reverse, key on, engine NOT running. As you approach the car you should get the telltale slow beep to steady beep signals.
Seems to work as promised and is a nice addition to visual parking.
Attached Thumbnails Electromagnetic backup sensors-power-connection.jpg   Electromagnetic backup sensors-routing-lower-mouning-area.jpg   Electromagnetic backup sensors-sensor-unit-connectio.jpg