E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Passenger window question...

Old 03-11-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tesla model S
Passenger window question...

If your window goes down as it should, but only comes up a little at a time or sometimes not at all, is it automatically thought to be the window regulator that needs replacing? I see many articles, youtube videos on replacing the regulator, not much on the switch or the motor so I'm assuming its most always that part that fails, just wanted to ask.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
You have read your manual and you know that the window switches have two up positions---right!!
Old 03-11-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220cdi avantgarde
it will be the switch, get some electrical switch contact cleaner from an electronic component store, usually a spray can, and give it a blast, you have what is known as dry contacts, from what I have read before, and this should cure it.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
I would suggest that you post, as accurately as possible, the details of your
situation, rather than a hypothetical. wouldn't you agree that it would
provide clarity? which door? describe exactly the reoccurring pattern step by
step. the front and rear regulators are designed differently and it is far more
likely that the front regulators are ailing and it is rare that it involves the motor
itself, rather, the pulley and cable assembly. so we can continue to type
guesses, but they may or may not apply to your situation.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220cdi avantgarde
I have a 2001 E220 Cdi with a manual gearbox, my window switches are by the gear lever, plus rear passenger doors, the switches themselves will suffer from dry contacts, and spraying with switch cleaner will cure, what i think could be the problem
Old 03-12-2015, 09:16 AM

Tesla model S
Originally Posted by raymond g-
I would suggest that you post, as accurately as possible, the details of your
situation, rather than a hypothetical. wouldn't you agree that it would
provide clarity? which door? describe exactly the reoccurring pattern step by
step. the front and rear regulators are designed differently and it is far more
likely that the front regulators are ailing and it is rare that it involves the motor
itself, rather, the pulley and cable assembly. so we can continue to type
guesses, but they may or may not apply to your situation.
Originally Posted by Plutoe
You have read your manual and you know that the window switches have two up positions---right!!
Wow, some of you reserve the right to be rude little guys over the internet, eh? Yes I realize the switches have more than one position. If you want more detail not a problem, didn't know my 'hypothetical' would throw you off so much, let me see - oh, instead of saying 'if your window goes down'...I'll just say 'when my window goes down...'does that change in the language make things clearer for you?' Some of you guys are such dicks...

Okay if any normal person wants to chime in thanks, if not I'll move on and figure it out, just looking for feedback is all. But as the post says, the front passenger window goes down smoothly. But upon pressing the switch to go up I may get no movement from the window if I press the switch 2,3 or 5 times. The 6th time it might move but only an inch or less before stopping. Again the next time I press the switch it might move, it might not. I managed to get it up and have not touched it since for fear it wont go up. Prepared to fix it just wondering what most owners have experienced in this situation. That's what forums like this provide an opportunity for, right? The sharing of experiences related to the W210? Thanks
Old 03-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I am going to be rude again-----you have a faulty switch---try post 3--if that dosen't work take a guess at what you might do next!!
Old 03-12-2015, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
Sorry if you feel I'm a dick, OJ. You have the eyes on the patient and your
description provides an abundance of clues folks need. Some of the folks have
spent a lot of time troubleshooting these ailments over years and understand
that there are a multitude of contributing factors which play a part and are
primary causes to the problems. When the description is vague, the problem-
solving becomes protracted when we then go back and forth asking for
clarification.

Your original post is absent any mention of the front window...and its regulator
is quite a bit different than the rear (and the possible fixes).

So, for future reference, understand that folks do come here to help. But it
also requires that folks needing help try to be as clinical in their description
as possible. One wouldn't go to the doctor and just say "....well, my arm just
hurts..." without providing additional detail, right? natch, the doctor would
come back and ask a host of other questions to elicit clarity.

with your enhanced description, I would presume that if the front window ONLY
moves zero or 1" (and no more) you should consider several responses:
1) clean the switches with contact cleaner (on the chance that it has
corroded (or spillage) over the years, 2) pull the door panel (easy) and examine
for crap in the gearing (less likely), 3) perform a window reset (even less
likely). working up from the cheapest and easiest fixes to consider. r-

(if we're candid, it is because time is of the essence and brevity may be
needed as we respond to many posts. conversely, a little thicker skin and
feeling as though we can read minds or owe you time to pull teeth/extract
info may need consideration)

Originally Posted by OJ's DNA
Wow, some of you reserve the right to be rude little guys over the internet, eh? Yes I realize the switches have more than one position. If you want more detail not a problem, didn't know my 'hypothetical' would throw you off so much, let me see - oh, instead of saying 'if your window goes down'...I'll just say 'when my window goes down...'does that change in the language make things clearer for you?' Some of you guys are such dicks...

Okay if any normal person wants to chime in thanks, if not I'll move on and figure it out, just looking for feedback is all. But as the post says, the front passenger window goes down smoothly. But upon pressing the switch to go up I may get no movement from the window if I press the switch 2,3 or 5 times. The 6th time it might move but only an inch or less before stopping. Again the next time I press the switch it might move, it might not. I managed to get it up and have not touched it since for fear it wont go up. Prepared to fix it just wondering what most owners have experienced in this situation. That's what forums like this provide an opportunity for, right? The sharing of experiences related to the W210? Thanks

Last edited by raymond g-; 03-12-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:19 PM

Tesla model S
Want to thank those for the 'clean the switches' idea prior to jumping into buying a window regulator, upon removing the wood trim it was obvious that more than 1 can of soda had been spilled over the years by the PO. Felt lucky not to have broken any of the pieces upon removal but at the end of the day I sprayed a lot of electrical cleaner and did what I could with a toothbrush, put it back together and the passenger side window now goes up and down - thanks again appreciate the correct direction and guidance.