E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Bluetooth added to Becker/Bose system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E320 4matic wagon
Bluetooth added to Becker/Bose system

Just wanted to give a little write-up of my recent project.

I wanted to add Bluetooth music streaming to my '98 E320. I figured I had two options: Install a new head unit, or add bluetooth to the OEM system.

I opted for the latter. My Becker works perfectly, and it matches the interior of the Benz. I bought an iSimple Tranzit BLU HF and a Mercedes/VW/BMW antenna adapter set.

Installation was pretty simple, for the most part:
- I pulled the radio, climate control, ashtray, instrument cluster, and the window switch wood panel.
- Run power wires (ignition switched) to the cigarette lighter outlet using wire taps.
- Connect the antenna leads to the car's antenna wire and to the radio using the adapters.
- Run the control button to the shifter area.
- Run the hands-free microphone up to the unused dash speaker on the driver's side. (this is why I pulled the instrument cluster)
- Tuck the unit and wiring up ahead of the ashtray.
- Put everything back.
- I installed the control button next to the shifter, just ahead of the left window switches. The flat wire comes up through the shifter trim. The button itself is self-adhesive.

How it works:

Great! Sync up the unit with Bluetooth, put the Becker radio on the right station, and you're in business! If you download the app, you can change the radio station to anything on the dial. I recommend selecting your favorite station, that way, when you disconnect your phone, your favorite station is playing. The Tranzit disconnects the antenna, so there is no need to find a nonexistent station like you have to with a wireless FM modulator.

The control button does few things:
-Pressed briefly, it will skip the current track, answer a phone call, or hang up on a phone call. It will also play music if it is currently paused.
- Pressed for two seconds, it will activate SIRI on an iPhone, and I assume it will do the equivalent on other smartphones.
- Pressed for about 5 seconds, it will turn the Tranzit on or off. When turned off, it reconnects the radio antenna, and your radio functions as usual.

Music quality is very good. Since this is a direct antenna connection, there is no static, as experienced with wireless FM modulators. It sounds more like a line-in connection, although technically a line-in should be even better quality. I like my music to sound good, and I think this does about as good a job as the rest of the stock Becker/Bose system allows.

Phone calls sound great, and my wife says it sounds much better on her end than it did from my Subaru's bluetooth system. I was worried that the microphone might be too far away in the dash speaker position, but that doesn't appear to be a problem. I like that location, because it is completely invisible. I don't know if other model years use those, but I believe those speakers are only used for the optional built-in phone system.

I am very happy with this system.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E320 4matic wagon
I did a little demonstration video:

Last edited by McBrew; 03-15-2015 at 05:27 PM.