E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

PLEASE HELP!!! Problem starting then limp mode!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 Arctic White W205 C300, '02 Silver S210 E320 Wagon
PLEASE HELP!!! Problem starting then limp mode!

Hello All,

I picked up 2002 W210 E320 Wagon (RWD) about two months ago with 77K miles on it. The car is clean and till now has been awesome and smooth. Some of the recent maintenance items I've performed on her are oil change, air filter, fuel filter, and rear diff fluid change. Haven't gotten to the tran fluid just yet, but it's coming up very soon.

So today I drove her to work and had no issues. At mid day headed out to lunch and drove fine. Then getting ready to go home around 5:30PM and the car has electric power, but won't start. I can barely even hear a click when I turn the ignition. I kept trying and then took the key out and put it back in a couple of times and it magically just started. Thank goodness! Then I put the car in reverse backed out of my parking spot, and put it in drive, but felt a hard lunge forward. Almost like I had my foot on the gas a little and threw it in drive (but I didn't). Got out of the parking lot and realized this thing is really not going anywhere. It won't get out of 2nd (i think it was). Drove it 4 miles home like that on the shoulder taking it easy. What the heck!!!!! I've searched and there are all sorts of theories. Acceleration sensor, conductor plate, battery, fluid in the TCU, on and on.... I'm trying to figure out if anyone has had the same exact scenario as i have. Oh and no CEL's! I went through the on board system check and found the battery voltage to be 13.5V, so battery looks okay, right? Also, went for a drive later this evening and everything worked like a charm! Everything! Shall I throw on a code checker even though there's no CEL? I don't have one and will have to get one.

Any other suggestions you guys might have? Please any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you much!
Anees Shafi
Old 07-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
The bad news is that you are in the classic "stump the chumps mode" that being you have no fault codes to help with direction---all you have is "symptoms" diagnosing or what i call "stump the chumps mode".

In this mode you get all sorts of HS suggestions--very similar to what you have been reading at the various dating sites---every one is chiming in with a suggestion to a problem that only pertains to you or you try to find someone who may have had similar
symptoms and hope he only spent five bucks to fix his problem---but in the real world that is very rare.

The other bad news is that with symptom diagnosing you really have to have experience and know the cars systems, which you don't and as you have found at other sites they don't either.

Well what you have to do is limit all the verbiage. It was great to learn where and when you work and when you have lunch and who you are dating,and the tooth paste you use, but how does that relate to your symptoms---after distilling what you have said I get the following

1-Starter does not engage with key in ignition---however after multiple trays car starts.

2-transmission shifts abruptly and then goes into limp mode

3-When after cold start car starts and shifts fine!!

By my reckoning the problems are not related and only happened once--- I am waiting for if the issues return--way to early for me to add more HS to the fire!!
Old 07-07-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 Arctic White W205 C300, '02 Silver S210 E320 Wagon
Plutoe - appreciate you contributing absolutely nothing to post. If I sound ignorant about these cars, then you didn't really educate me much at all. Keep it up.