E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

w210 E240 transmission limp mode error codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w210 E240 AT -00
w210 E240 transmission limp mode error codes

Last week my w210 automatic transmission suddenly went in to what appears to by hard limp mode.

Failure description and observations:
Only second (I think, about 4000 RMP in 60km/h) and reverse gear works.
Shift indicator window is filled.
I've noticed a small delay (about half a second) when I turn the key and before start motor activates. The engine starts immediately after that.
Everything else seems to work normally (engine, ABS, ESP, CC etc).
It happened also a week earlier but it suddenly start shifting again after about 20 seconds.

It has been warm weather and turn the car off (after driving for 15 min) and start again hasn't made any difference so low battery voltage don't seems to be the problem.

Drove the car to a Mercedes dealer that did a diagnostic test. There was a lot of saved codes but also some active.
Active error codes:
EWM gear selecting module
P1875 - CAN communication with other controllers mounted in this vehicle is not possible - active and saved
P1876 - Signals sent from controller N47 (traction system) about wheel speed and braking torque is not saved in CAN bus - active and saved
ME2 motor electronic 2
P0170-023 Idle AFR control right bank - active and saved
P0173-134 Idle AFR control left bank - active and saved
P0173-133 Part load AFR control left bank - active
P0170-022 Part load AFR control right bank - active
P1999 Unknown error code Unknown error type - active and saved
There are about 20 more of saved codes.

I bought the car 10 month ago and I haven't noticed any change in engine behavior. 1 1/2 month ago I took an emission test and it was perfect.

Mercedes mechanic had no good clue what was wrong. Letting them change part by part (new parts, full price) don't seems like a reasonable idea. With their price per hour it would cost as much as the car is worth in about 15h! Parts not included! Small town, poor competition? I think the car is in too good condition too just throw away. 12000 km, full service history and good condition over all.

Any help would be gratefully received!
Old 08-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If you want to solve the limp mode issue--look at the gear selector module faults---clear all the faults and change the module!!

The rest--------well live with it!!
Old 08-26-2015, 06:35 PM

w210 E240 AT -00
Originally Posted by Plutoe
If you want to solve the limp mode issue--look at the gear selector module faults---clear all the faults and change the module!!

The rest--------well live with it!!
The mb mechanic tried to clear the faults. I'm not sure which could be cleared. In case the gear selector module is the root of all problems. Is it enough to change it and it automatically gets its bus adress or does the address have to be manually set by mb shop computer? Maybe all gear selector modules of the same type have the same predefined bus address?
Old 08-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
You paid him to do something---you don't know what he did----very strange!! In any event and don't even talk about bus address,most folks will think you are looking at a Greyhound bus schedule.

Simply change the shifter module and get on with your life!!However hopefully when your mechanic installs the module he will do another quick test and then clear all faults!!
Old 08-27-2015, 01:47 PM

w210 E240 AT -00
You paid him to do something---you don't know what he did----very strange!! In any event and don't even talk about bus address,most folks will think you are looking at a Greyhound bus schedule.

Simply change the shifter module and get on with your life!!However hopefully when your mechanic installs the module he will do another quick test and then clear all faults!!

My contact is a local mechanic that have helped me with my cars since many years. He has an friend that work for a MB dealer and had the diagnostics done that way. I haven't spoken to the diagnostic guy myself.

Every node in a CAN bus system have an address an it have to be assigned in some way. There are lots of cars that don't work properly, or not work at all, if a node i changed without assigning it in some way in car main controller. The fact that the shifter module is a node is the reason for my question. I'm not well introduced in the specific data system of w210.

Thanks for your answer. I didn't knew if I needed MB shop computer (STAR?) to make a new shifter module work or if it work as soon as I connect it in the car.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
You do not need Star to adapt or learn in the shifter module!!---However good practice tends to say that after a module replacement you do a quick test to make sure there are no faults---and you will get a fault when you remove the voltage from a control module---simply erase the fault!!
Old 08-28-2015, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E320 4Matic
hello, I've been looking through forums for quite some time now, and decided I would post in hopes of getting some help, or at least answers/ideas.

I was wondering if you've had any luck with your issue @lennart258?

I have a '99 4matic e320 that has a very similar issue, my Trans is seemingly locked into hard limp (including the rough shift from park to reverse/Drive) However I don't have a CEL or any codes that I can read. (and I know you need specific software to access the TCM,etc) I have purchased a compact 4 sd connect and laptop running xentry 07.2013 etc. from a local indy that was moving out of town. I've had and used it for a few years now without any issues.

The problem:
awhile back I had a torn cv boot on my front drivers side axle shaft, during that time I had another indy replace both front axles. a few months later I was coming to a stop at a traffic light when the transmission wouldn't engage (acted like it was in neutral).

After having two indy shops, and a transmission shop look at it. all three diagnosed it as a bad trans, $5,000 to fix. (however I did not believe that knowing the electrical components (conductor plate/plug/shift module/etc) that communicate with the transmission.

about a month after the last shop, i decided to put the vehicle on a lift myself, and look for a cause. right away I noticed the front passenger axle was just hanging there. after closer inspection I found that the indy who installed the axles never fully seated the c-clip on the passenger axle. I slid the axle back in,it clicked, i lowered the car, and started it up.

it worked. reverse/drive, it no longer acted like it was in neutral (understandably)
however that is when i noticed it wouldn't shift above 2nd gear,and averages about 4,000rpm - 4,500rpm @ 40mph

I have scanned all systems using the 38 pin and star system, however i cannot access the EGS module nor the Shift Module to scan or clear fault codes (active or stored).

I can access other modules as I always have been able to, except the two mentioned above,and the BAS/ESP module.

I too have to hold my key in the starting position for quite a few seconds (about 10-15) before the vehicle will start. and during this time I still have no active codes or warning lights.

I am unable to find another indy that can scan/clear codes in my area, and the dealer is over 60 miles away. I am in the process of a career change, college student, and financially limited at this point. I would hate to sell, or junk the vehicle, as it's been amazing the last 5 years.

If anyone else has experience with Star, or the CAN bus system on the w210's I would greatly appreciate any and all help. It's going on 8 months of taking the bus now, and I really don't wanna get rid of the vehicle if it's something simple.

also I want to note I did flush the trans fluid using MB fluid, and replaced the conductor plate and the plug. am I wrong to assume it just needs a reset,as this happened after the axle popped out while driving?

Also, I have suspected maybe my 38 pin port is faulty,and was curious how to test the pins for voltage,etc if it is even possible. (i'm starting to miss my ol' W124)
Old 08-28-2015, 05:37 PM

w210 E240 AT -00
Originally Posted by tftf4036
(i'm starting to miss my ol' W124)
Me too!

I haven't really dug in to the problem. The last couple of month I'm in a work related spare time shortage.

I try the easy way and today I ordered a used EWM. I got it for the pretty reasonable price of about 150$. Worth a try! It's the lazy way that I often blame mechanics for but right now it fits me pretty well.

Good work finding the loose axle! Many times errors can be spotted just by looking around and observe! OT: Many year ago I had a similar axle problem. I used the breaks before a crossing. A clonk was heard and after that it acted like there was no gear (FWD, manual GB). I pushed the car home (a few hundred meters) and crawled under. One of the front wheel suspension struts had almost separated from the chassis due to heavy corrosion! That made the distance from front wheel hub and gearbox/differential bigger than before and the splines had slid out of the hub. I used two tie down straps to force it together again and drove the car to my uncle who had an indy shop that time. It was a 100 km trip and I only used the parking break! I don't think I would do that again with the same circumstances! I was only 19 yo that time!

I report back when the new (used) EWS is in place.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by tftf4036
hello, I've been looking through forums for quite some time now, and decided I would post in hopes of getting some help, or at least answers/ideas.

I was wondering if you've had any luck with your issue @lennart258?

I have a '99 4matic e320 that has a very similar issue, my Trans is seemingly locked into hard limp (including the rough shift from park to reverse/Drive) However I don't have a CEL or any codes that I can read. (and I know you need specific software to access the TCM,etc) I have purchased a compact 4 sd connect and laptop running xentry 07.2013 etc. from a local indy that was moving out of town. I've had and used it for a few years now without any issues.

The problem:
awhile back I had a torn cv boot on my front drivers side axle shaft, during that time I had another indy replace both front axles. a few months later I was coming to a stop at a traffic light when the transmission wouldn't engage (acted like it was in neutral).

After having two indy shops, and a transmission shop look at it. all three diagnosed it as a bad trans, $5,000 to fix. (however I did not believe that knowing the electrical components (conductor plate/plug/shift module/etc) that communicate with the transmission.

about a month after the last shop, i decided to put the vehicle on a lift myself, and look for a cause. right away I noticed the front passenger axle was just hanging there. after closer inspection I found that the indy who installed the axles never fully seated the c-clip on the passenger axle. I slid the axle back in,it clicked, i lowered the car, and started it up.

it worked. reverse/drive, it no longer acted like it was in neutral (understandably)
however that is when i noticed it wouldn't shift above 2nd gear,and averages about 4,000rpm - 4,500rpm @ 40mph

I have scanned all systems using the 38 pin and star system, however i cannot access the EGS module nor the Shift Module to scan or clear fault codes (active or stored).

I can access other modules as I always have been able to, except the two mentioned above,and the BAS/ESP module.

I too have to hold my key in the starting position for quite a few seconds (about 10-15) before the vehicle will start. and during this time I still have no active codes or warning lights.

I am unable to find another indy that can scan/clear codes in my area, and the dealer is over 60 miles away. I am in the process of a career change, college student, and financially limited at this point. I would hate to sell, or junk the vehicle, as it's been amazing the last 5 years.

If anyone else has experience with Star, or the CAN bus system on the w210's I would greatly appreciate any and all help. It's going on 8 months of taking the bus now, and I really don't wanna get rid of the vehicle if it's something simple.

also I want to note I did flush the trans fluid using MB fluid, and replaced the conductor plate and the plug. am I wrong to assume it just needs a reset,as this happened after the axle popped out while driving?

Also, I have suspected maybe my 38 pin port is faulty,and was curious how to test the pins for voltage,etc if it is even possible. (i'm starting to miss my ol' W124)
I almost fell asleep however was awakened by the dog barking--in any event has anyone asked whether this gent still owns a working copy of an advanced DAS Xentry diagnostic tool---if yes why hasn't he been able to sort out his issues
Old 08-29-2015, 08:44 PM

1999 E320 4Matic
Talking

I almost fell asleep however was awakened by the dog barking--in any event has anyone asked whether this gent still owns a working copy of an advanced DAS Xentry diagnostic tool---if yes why hasn't he been able to sort out his issues
Short and simple answer.

yes it is an "advanced" (actually properly called "Developer" version of DAS Xentry. A short test from within DAS shows no faults in communication. (however that is only with those modules it can communicate with.)

As I have mentioned I cannot scan 3 modules for which I listed in that (*apparently*) boring description as to my issue.

------

why are you in a help forum, unless it's only to make derisive comments, without actually fact checking?

If anyone else has questions or comments regarding the issue, I would be happy to answer.

And for those willing to help, and read... I will summarize my issue for those looking for the fragmented version.

--------

After having an axle shaft pop out of place due to improper installation, I am no longer able to shift out of 2nd gear.

The following has been replaced/tried:

*conductor plate (inside of transmission valve body)
*transmission plug
*transmission fluid change(w/filter,etc)
* DAS scan of vehicle systems (except the following, unresponsive modules)
- BAS
- ESP
- Shift Module
- EGS (transmission control module)

as for software, I am using Xentry 07.2013
(which is useless with my model, being DAS era system)

along with:

*WIS
*ASRA
*DAS
*PL64
*EPC

If anyone has information pertaining to the diagnosis of the EGS or shift module, message me. (I.E. electrical tests, visual inspection, etc)

(not going to blindly remove and replace parts hoping for a fix, considering the systems involved.)
Old 08-30-2015, 07:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Help is defined as ===to give or provide what is necessary to accomplish a task or satisfy a need-----however to help many times you have to weed through all the self serving hypocrisy to determine what help is required---In your case we have an owner of DAS Xentry diagnostic system,with developer mode authorization, that does not understand how to use the system!!

We all know that the W210's uses the MB HHT to interrogate the modules and that the HHT is built into every DAS or DAS Xentry system since conception including the one that I use 07_2015 that's 07_2015 with developer keys.

Not knowing that tells me why you go on and on about all sorts of irrelevant noise---but now you just received some help and know about the HHT----have you ever thought that after the short test to go back to the test and click on the module that you are having so called communication problems--voila the HHT pops up--no you go on about a drive shaft or some other @#^%#@

Regarding the 38 pin diagnostic connector pin out----you say you have WIS--well what's keeping you from using WIS to determine the connector pin out---I know why you haven't got the foggiest idea on how to use WIS to find the connector---I'll give you a hint---out your VIN in wait for the selection and then select "mixture information"--- now start reading and you will find the document number for the pin out.

You need to do much homework before you ever think of plugging in
Old 08-30-2015, 02:08 PM

1999 E320 4Matic
Red face

-In your case we have an owner of DAS Xentry diagnostic system,with developer mode authorization, that does not understand how to use the system!!
We all know that the W210's uses the MB HHT to interrogate the modules and that the HHT is built into every DAS or DAS Xentry system since conception...
after the short test to go back to the test and click on the module that you are having so called communication problems
Regarding the 38 pin diagnostic connector pin out----put your VIN in wait for the selection and then select "mixture information"--- now start reading and you will find the document number for the pin out.
okay, I apologize for the way I came off. Yes you are correct, i do not fully know all that i can about the software, however it has been hard to learn too (haven't had success with the help documents on the system, nor searching online) I have been working 7 days for a long time, so yeah I haven't been able to learn the software much, while also going to school,etc. with that said, i did use HHT, selected the EGS module, and when HHT came up it said it was unable to communicate with the diagnostic circuit -- Check pin (10)

I then preceded to use the document you mentioned (along with others) to check the voltage and ohm of the pins. having done so i noticed pin 10,6,15, & 8 were only at 1.2V .2ohm both fluctuated when car was off, & ignition on)

I refrained from posting this, as it was already long, again, my apologies.

so if i am using the software and multiplexer (SD connect 4 using Ethernet cable) wrong, that is a possibility. However most of those pins i experienced voltage issues with, are also having issues currently.

I.E. instrument cluster pin (15) , having to hold key in ignition for start (10-15 sec.), and the cluster dims until starting complete. The Transmission Control Module, along with the Transmission Shift Module pin (10), the ABS/ESP pin (6), and the BAS pin (8)

I have no idea if the voltage is considered okay or not, having read into the system, if a module is awake, or even asleep, it can cause voltage irregularities, the range on the pin-out document showed voltage ranges much higher, hence I was wondering how to test for a bad module... or alternatively maybe somebody could point me in the right area for learning the software.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
You are not unique---there are no non MB DAS Xentry classes. You like everyone else learns by practice while diagnosing cars---you just started with a ****ty car with loads of non fault electrical issues---where you have to know the software and the system that you have an issue with.

If you want my advice start with a simpler module then when you are in the HHT click on the WIS icon---that should bring you to that modules WIS documents---go down the list and start reading the diagnostic documents and follow the diagnostic suggestions which eliminate multiple causes---then go to the next step until have solved the problem----thats the way its done when faced with a problem with no fault------takes time and that is why most folks scream bloody murder when the get a diagnostic estimate---time is money!!
suggestions
Old 09-08-2015, 04:02 PM

w210 E240 AT -00
Problem solved

The EWM module is now replaced with another used one and now the car works as before. Error codes haven't been read after EWM replacement.
The following users liked this post:
Glenn Bruland (03-12-2020)