E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

project family wagon! E320 4matic wagon

Old 10-09-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
400E widebody
project family wagon! E320 4matic wagon

hi guys!

i've had many mercs over the years, and had a thing for them since i was a kid,

i had 3 w210's in the earlier 00's, sold the last one in 2007, i've always loved how those cars drive, so smooth, and good to sit in,
my wife actually never wanted one, she thought they had an "ugly face" to much of an old mans car,

last winter i was selling the family car, and was offered a 97 e230 avantgard as a part payment, witch i accepted,
it was a rather tired example though, getting kinda rusted, and worn, but what surprised me was that my wife adored it, she said that it was just the most lovely car she had ever had,

so i thought to myself that i would really like to find another one, a better one to fix up and make a good one, a good family car.

after a little search i found a 1998 E320 4Matic, with 93k miles, the car is loaded with options, leather, electric contour seats both sides, bose, xenon, electric steering column, rood racks, phone, sls and most of the options available,

the car had an what is most likely a faulty igniton switch, a problem that is actually still causing me headache,
the paint is getting bad, rust bubbles here and there,

but the car drives.. and i actualy mean it, it drives like its new, its so solid. it is as solid as my first w210 was, when that car was just few years old,

the plan is to paint the tailgate, and both sides, it has a little rust under the battery, but i i weld and fabricate as a job, so that will not be a problem, i've bought new wheel bearings, front shocks, winter tires,

actually i would really like to get the amg front bumper and side panels,

with a little work, this car could be like new, and honestly.. these cars are so comfy, that i just do not see the need to get a newer and many times more expensive car, this one does everything, it has 4wheel drive, the biggest boot since the chevy kingswood, lovely engine,

here is a pic i took yesterday, i polished the paint, removed all mouldings and cleaned them up with polish, took the old 4matic wheels off and installed those old avantgard wheels from a w210 i had,

best regards.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2002 E430 (totaled at 230k miles), 2002 E55 AMG, 2001 CLK430--SOLD, 1997 C230
Looks nice, and you have to love a wagon. Good luck with you project, seems like she is in good hands.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:33 AM

400E widebody
thank you,

yeah the wagons dont exactly look cool, but so usable
Old 10-14-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
Originally Posted by Thule

with a little work, this car could be like new, and honestly.. these cars are so comfy, that i just do not see the need to get a newer and many times more expensive car, this one does everything, it has 4wheel drive, the biggest boot since the chevy kingswood, lovely engine,
MB in Europe is expensive cars and second-hand value is also in the high-end but compared to other brands you get so much more solid car for your money - but for long time life it is essential that it will have to maintained with good quality parts and consumables - the engine just need Mobil 1 and original oil-filters - Good luck with this car

can I notice a Swedish flag on the licence plate?
Old 10-15-2015, 06:32 PM

400E widebody
thanks man!

no its the icelandic flag almost neighbours!