E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

I need some suggestions, and I'm sure y'all can help me out...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 MB E420 (used to own a 1992 MB 190E 2.6)
I need some suggestions, and I'm sure y'all can help me out...

(I'm a native Southerner, so I'm allowed to use "y'all" in a sentence )

I recently purchased a 1997 MB E420 with only 141K miles on it. The exterior has some minor dings, and the interior is fantastic.

Thus far, I've had 3 coils/plugs crap out, but replacing them solved that issue (BTW, the rest of the coils apppear to be the originals). The only other outstanding issues are the right rear window's motor/gear has failed, and the motor mounts need to be replaced - which leads me to my question.

I recently took a job with the US Army JAG HQ on Ft Belvoir, and I live in Alexandria, VA. I've never lived here before, so I'm not familiar with any of the shops near me. So, I am hoping you can help me out. I'm not flush with cash - and what little I have is used to maintain a place up here, along with my family and home back in Flowery Branch, GA (about 1hr North of ATL). Therefore I'm looking for recommendations from y'all on trustworthy repair shops that are able to do a good job on MBs for a reasonable price.

I'd like to get the motor mounts replaced. Usually I'm able to do a lot of the maintenance and repairs myself. But when it comes to stuff like replacing motor mounts I have to take it to a shop to get them replaced, since I don't have a lift.

Hopefully some of you are familiar with this area, and can steer me in the right direction. I would really, really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

--Rocky (aka LotusGeek)
Old 11-26-2015, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
For window - seek "window regulator" or "green thing from autouhousaz" .
MM can be done on jacks or ramps.
It is not technically challenging job, but require good tools becouse of access.
I would gladly pay fair quotes to mechanics as I can make more on my job, but too many people I know take their cars to shops and that often starts whole nightmare.
After not paying mechanics for 14 years, this month took wife W211 to stealer for alignment.
They hold the car total for 4 days - redoing bad job and still left some measurements in red giving me BS that I have corroded bolts.

Last edited by kajtek1; 11-26-2015 at 04:10 PM.