E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Stereo Upgrade (finally!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E430
Stereo Upgrade (finally!)

Hey everyone, it's finally time to upgrade my stock radio in my 2001 E430. I have the Bose upgrade, and I'm just looking to replace the head unit with something a little bit more up to date. Does anyone know, if I purchase all the necessary parts from, say, Crutchfield… Will it be simply a plug and play set up? I'll be using an adapter to keep my steering wheel controls as well. Anyone with this stock set up changed their head unit anyone with this stock set up changed their head unit before? Any issues keeping use of the Bose amp? Thanks!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
01 E320
No issues keeping to the Bose amp. In fact you'll be shocked how much better it sounds with the new head unit. 4v preamp output matches up perfectly. I went with a kenwood Excelon, similar to this one

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX...-KDC-X599.html

If you buy it at Crutchfield they'll provide you with the volkswagon adapter and I think there's an antenna adapter as well that makes it plug and play. I chose to buy mine at a stereo shop and have it installed. It was cheap to do and very quick so I know it's easy. They put the mic for the phone up the windshield pillar which was nice.

I was all ready to order from Crutchfield but stopped in a big car stereo place near me and it wasn't that expensive to buy and have installed. Syncs with my iPhone for Bluetooth audio, FM reception is sound is much improved and AM even works now. I love it
Old 01-30-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E430
Thanks for the info! I'll probably have a shop do mine as well, in fact I've already spoken with a good one who says they will be able to keep the steering wheel controls as well. I had thought about doing it myself, but it
might be worth saving the headaches and having someone do it. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
01 E320
Originally Posted by Emsflyer84
Thanks for the info! I'll probably have a shop do mine as well, in fact I've already spoken with a good one who says they will be able to keep the steering wheel controls as well. I had thought about doing it myself, but it
might be worth saving the headaches and having someone do it. Thanks!
Let us know how you make out