E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Looking to buy used E series - first time buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 VW Passat Wgn
Looking to buy used E series - first time buyer

If I MUST get a used E series under $15k, which model/years are good to look for? will greatly appreciate your responses.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I hope you realized you are posting in W210 section that ended in 2002 on sedans.
$15k can buy you 3 generation newer Mercedes, depends what mileage you are comfortable with.
Looks to me you have lot of homework to do. '
Have fun doing so.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 E430 Sport
Originally Posted by MB1day
If I MUST get a used E series under $15k, which model/years are good to look for? will greatly appreciate your responses.
You've got enough money to find a museum quality 210 Hahahaha of all the EClass sedans IMO the W210 is by far the less troublesome out of the bunch. Yeah it has its gremlins but it's a very solid car. If I had 15k I'd go out and find a super clean E55 or a super clean 01-02 E430 which is what I own. I own a prestine 01 E430 Sport and it's one of the cleanest w210's I've seen around my area but it's maybe worth 6k lol it's your preference but as the poster above me said, they stopped production of the 210 in early 03 so our cars are getting gray so to speak.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:12 AM

'98 VW Passat Wgn
Originally Posted by kajtek1
I hope you realized you are posting in W210 section that ended in 2002 on sedans.
$15k can buy you 3 generation newer Mercedes, depends what mileage you are comfortable with.
Looks to me you have lot of homework to do. '
Have fun doing so.
Thank you for pointing out! You meant W210, 211, 212 right? I am looking for less than 80k. I have been reading lot of posts, but any pointers to research a bit more systematically would be a great help. Again appreciate taking time to respond to my post.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:24 AM

'98 VW Passat Wgn
Originally Posted by FireMechanic
You've got enough money to find a museum quality 210 Hahahaha of all the EClass sedans IMO the W210 is by far the less troublesome out of the bunch. Yeah it has its gremlins but it's a very solid car. If I had 15k I'd go out and find a super clean E55 or a super clean 01-02 E430 which is what I own. I own a prestine 01 E430 Sport and it's one of the cleanest w210's I've seen around my area but it's maybe worth 6k lol it's your preference but as the poster above me said, they stopped production of the 210 in early 03 so our cars are getting gray so to speak.
Thanks Fire Mechanic. This would be my first MB experience and I am not DIY guy so I want to keep it tried and tested. I don't think I will fully appreciate E55.. yet. More like a family sedan with MB experience and low maintenance.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since you don't DIY, this is your first Mercedes and you are considering aged one, my first advice will be to find recommended indy mechanic.
Once you start taking MB to stealers, they will eat your savings and equity.
Than you have the dilemma what model to choose.
W210 proved themselves to be real workhorses and easy to repair. Cheap to buy, but beware of corrosion on them.
Going up the ladder to W211, 212, those are nicer cars with more gadgets, but cost of maintenance skyrockets on them.
We have few fellow MB owners who after few years of driving digital models, turn back and bought 1980' era car to avoid the electronics hassle.
Fact is that well kept W123, being twice the age of W210 cost 3-4 times more on used car market.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,023 Likes on 951 Posts
1999 E300TD
Look to a W211 MY05\06 inline 6 CDI----easy to maintain, great economy and reliable!!
Old 02-08-2016, 04:16 PM

'98 VW Passat Wgn
Thanks Kajtek1 and Plutoe. I did think about W211 CDI from MPG perspective, but read about EGR issues, would there be something to look for in inspections related to this? I love the MB looks, but more I read the posts, more I realize, MB aura experience is only for the DIY/Rich/elite club and it's less sensible to buy used MB considering good Lexuses out there. I am getting just a little disappointed.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You sure have lot of things to consider.
For years I've been driving Mercedes and make money in the process.
Buying diesel MB in central in eastern states, bring them to California, driving for couple of years, while DIY them to perfect mechanical condition allow me sell them for more than I bought them for. Than 30 mpg on older cars luxury cars is hard to beat.
Got spoil and start buying newer vehicles, so the depreciation on them hits me, but even driving newer MB for $1000 a year is not bad deal IMHO
But not being DIY, doesn't rule them as very economical cars. For example my brother, living in Seattle area is a geek who will not even open the hood.
I bought nice 2000 station wagon with 140k for him for $5000.
I did PPI and some maintenance, still charging him another $1500 to address things that might go very soon.
He's got good mechanic 60 miles from his home, so that is where he takes the car.
So far he added about additional 50k and the only thing that I did not prevent was voltage regulator wear.
I never own Lexus in my life so don't know how it would work, but my brother needs AWD and I don't think Lexus has AWD wagons.

Last edited by kajtek1; 02-08-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:01 PM

2001 E430 Sport
Don't let a Mercedes Benz scare you. You cannot compare a Japanese car to an MB. The quality of a Mercedes greatly surpasses the quality of a Japanese car whether it's a Lexus or an infinity. The reliability of a Mercedes is going to come down to two things. You need to find a well taken care of car that's had service regularly and repairs done before they become catastrophic. Secondly you yourself need to maintain the car correctly and on time. As long as you do those two things you will be just fine. The older cars have a vast aftermarket part supply. My E430 has now 183k on the clock and I drive it all day everyday and it's never left me stranded. It's been a very reliable car and still gets thumbs up and compliments everywhere I go. People don't believe me when I tell them it's a 2001.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:36 PM

'98 VW Passat Wgn
Kajtek1 and FireMechanic, thanks for the encouragement. How do I make sure car was service regularly, last time I went to buyer he handed me folder of invoices, some were dealer some were his mechanic, all that was good but I didn't know what 'should' have been done generally at what intervals. what would be a good source for such maintenance schedule? I am in SoCal, if you know of any members who provides assistance in buying to first time buyers like me, let me know.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:09 PM

2001 E430 Sport
Originally Posted by MB1day
Kajtek1 and FireMechanic, thanks for the encouragement. How do I make sure car was service regularly, last time I went to buyer he handed me folder of invoices, some were dealer some were his mechanic, all that was good but I didn't know what 'should' have been done generally at what intervals. what would be a good source for such maintenance schedule? I am in SoCal, if you know of any members who provides assistance in buying to first time buyers like me, let me know.
Well, you want to start with some sort of documentation. Transmission services along with oil changes on time are most important. I being a past Mercedes mechanic, I look the entire car over and I will take the oil cap off and poke inside with a borescope camera and look at the cams and check the top of the heads for signs of metal or sludge. If there are any signs I'll walk away from that car immediately. I also bring my trans dip stick and dip the tranny and see if the fluid is low, the color, and smell. If the trans has been serviced regularly the fluid should be nice and red and not smell burnt. If you choose to purchase a W210 EClass you need to check the car over thoroughly for rust. These cars especially the pre facelift cars (1999 and lower) are especially prone to rust along the rocker panels near the front of the doors, trunk around the push lock button, spring perches, roof around the sunroof, and inner fender wells. If there are any signs of rust you need to run away. Operate everything and make sure everything works. Everything else is maintenance related. I also bring my scanner and I check all history, stored, and current codes. One common thing as well with these cars are the cat converters fail and they are insanely expensive from the factory but a quality set of aftermarkets work just fine. I take my time and you should too. I bought my E430 immediately because I knew the car from day one and the elderly woman religiously maintained this car at my dealer I was working at and purchased it there brand new as well so I had access to all the record
The following users liked this post:
MB1day (03-14-2016)