E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Need some advise w/ removing glove compt.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Need some advise w/ removing glove compt.

Hey Guys-

I could really use some help right now! I wanted to swap out the cabin filters on my '99 E-Class today. I found a Youtube video which detailed the 6 screws needing to be removed to get it out. I removed the two most upper screws first and then the ones under the tabs on the bottom inside the glove box. I then went to remove the ones by the light which are not visible and could not get my phillips to connect. I used a mirror to check and found there are no screws up there. I tried pulling it out with a pretty good amount of force and it will not budge on the upper part where it seems the screws are missing. I also removed the rubber screws in the center of the glove box which were left in on the video i watched and it still will not come out.

My question is whether or not i need to pull harder, if it's anything like removing the dash on these cars i know it requires some tug power but i am not sure about the glove box. I would really appreciate someone offering up some insight!!

Cheers,

-Rob
Old 04-14-2016, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
There are endless topics on the subject.
Confirm all the screws are out. The box suppose to have good play by then.
What is still holding the box in the hole are 2 fins on top of it. I guess they are some kind of crash protection system, but some owners cut them off.
So once you have the box loose, push down top edge of it to expose 2 slots in the frame behind it.
Those slots line up with the fins and box need to be squeezed.
Insert 2 flat screwdrivers in those slots, push the plastic down and with other hand yank the box out.
The following users liked this post:
RPB (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 11:15 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kajtek1
There are endless topics on the subject.
Confirm all the screws are out. The box suppose to have good play by then.
What is still holding the box in the hole are 2 fins on top of it. I guess they are some kind of crash protection system, but some owners cut them off.
So once you have the box loose, push down top edge of it to expose 2 slots in the frame behind it.
Those slots line up with the fins and box need to be squeezed.
Insert 2 flat screwdrivers in those slots, push the plastic down and with other hand yank the box out.
Thanks mate.