E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

A few issues New E-320 Wagon owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 wagon
A few issues New E-320 Wagon owner

I'm loving the E-320 Wagon. 2002 84K miles. But, I am having a few little issues I'd like to get taken care of.

First. There is a slight burning oil smell. Like its dripping on the exhaust. Nothing drips on ground, when you look at the engine it's spotless. I have read somewhere that there may be an inspection plug on the back of the engine that leaks just enough to drip onto exhaust and cause that problem. Where do I look for this, and what do I fix? I am confident on working on vehicles so I know I could probably fix it if I knew what to fix.

Second. When you shut the doors the dome lights don't go off. It's a wagon so I am thinking its the back hatch that is the problem. I can go to each door, push the little button on the door the light at the feet goes off but not the inside lights. have tried it with all four doors. So, I'm thinking it's the hatch. I can't find a switch there. What do I do?

Third, the dash lights are dim on my readout. It's worse on the MPH portion. It's just very dim almost out on the MPH. is there a way to turn up the dash lights like most vehicles? or is this a bad bulb or fuse that I need to take the dash apart to fix?

Fourth, Is there a way to lock and unlock the doors on the inside of the car without the remote? there is a switch on the dash that resembles what a door lock button should be. But, it does nothing when I press it. What fuse should I look at? or what may be the issue on this? the doors lock fine with the remote. Also, related is there child proof locks on a 2002? I've looked around but didn't seem to find any.

And last, I'd like to replace a few air vents where the flaps are broken and don't move anymore. Is this a easy job or a pain? and where would you recommend someone getting new ones. I have Tan enterior.

Thanks. Newbie on the MB world.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan
2002 E320

You can download your cars owners manual. That might be able to help you with some of your questions. WWW.MercSections.com
Old 04-27-2016, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
1. If the rear main seal is leaking it would not drip onto the exhaust, check your valve cover gaskets maybe its one of them dripping on the headers

2. There is a switch on the overhead panel that might be on and it would cause the lights to stay on

3. owners manual, or it may be that you need to do the pixel repair if its just missing pixels.

Look at a junk yard or on ebay for air vents, the sides and the rear are easy to change the middle requires a bit more work.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 wagon
No it's not the main seal or the head gasket. It something very small. It doesn't stink all the time just mainly when you first start or after you have driven for a long time several hours. the thing I was referring to I saw a post online that said there is a small rubber plug like thing thats on the back of the engine way up high that maybe something was attached on older models but not any more. so they just plugged it with a rubber plug and o-rings. I'll see if I can find the post. the switches are all work for the lights inside. i can turn them on and off but if I hit the switch that appears to be the one for when doors are open lights come on and won't go off with doors closed.

Sorry for being more vague
Old 04-29-2016, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Dash - bulbs behind the instrument cluster could be burned-out/need-replacement.

The other post - what he was mentioning - the dome light switch could be "on" - and need to be switched off.

"Burning oil smell" - valve cover gaskets can leak - radiator reservoir cap cap "leak"/replacement - oil accumulation under oil fill area behind steering reservoir - water pump can be starting to leak/weep thru bottom drip hole onto the hot block - cat's could be starting to plug