E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

instrument cluster issues 97 W210

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320
instrument cluster issues 97 W210

have a question , I own a 97 W210, and for the past few years the instrument cluster does not work. It rarely works at all in summer times hotter weather, and will occassionally turn on in the winter months (1 time out of 100 starts) So I do not know how fast the car is going, revolutions of the engine, and most important how hot the car is running. So i am pretty much driving blind here. Thankfully the gas light comes on when low on fuel. All the gauges though read zero for tach and speedometer. Now the speedometer just twitches at the 0 mph and makes a fast clicking noise. I have taken my car to many mercedes mechanics and it seems to be an enigma no one knows how to fix it or where to get it fixed. i once tried to purchase one from another car and not only did the car not start it made my check engine light come on. Some people claim they know how to fix it and like 3 weeks later it breaks again. Does anyone out there know what i can do to fix this thing once and for all? thank you
Old 06-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
This is a way back story----It was rumored in the early nineties that MB was coming out with a "hidden IC data package" to be offered on one of their up and coming new models.

It was supposed to be space age technology and awake the IC when folks started blowing their horns and yelling get out of the way you are going to slow.

There is a meathead at Bens World that swears that he has one and loves it, but he lost the feature when he took the fan blades off his engine fan to allow the engine to run cooler---you two guys may think the same!!
Old 06-11-2016, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I "think" your W210 will start/run with the cluster removed.

The issue here is determine if it is a cluster problem - or a connection problem.

Maybe Plutoe can help you diagnose that.

1) There are cluster "repair" services available - google a search or eBay listing

2) Replacement cluster would need to be exact same model/type which is shown on the sticker on the cluster body

Keep the beat !
Old 06-13-2016, 08:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
"Maybe Plutoe can help you diagnose that."

Yes, don't wait another two years to get the car scanned---forget the ebay mumbo jumbo---first find out why the IC is not getting voltage--then you can play electrical engineer!!
Old 06-15-2016, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 1997
Instrument Cluster Issues

Originally Posted by envious2016
have a question , I own a 97 W210, and for the past few years the instrument cluster does not work. It rarely works at all in summer times hotter weather, and will occassionally turn on in the winter months (1 time out of 100 starts) So I do not know how fast the car is going, revolutions of the engine, and most important how hot the car is running. So i am pretty much driving blind here. Thankfully the gas light comes on when low on fuel. All the gauges though read zero for tach and speedometer. Now the speedometer just twitches at the 0 mph and makes a fast clicking noise. I have taken my car to many mercedes mechanics and it seems to be an enigma no one knows how to fix it or where to get it fixed. i once tried to purchase one from another car and not only did the car not start it made my check engine light come on. Some people claim they know how to fix it and like 3 weeks later it breaks again. Does anyone out there know what i can do to fix this thing once and for all? thank you

Dear Envious2016:

I had a similar issue some months ago and I solved the problem by replacing the stepper motor that controls the speedometer needle. It happens that this motors seems to be in series with the other stepper motors ( or the computer needs this motor working) in order to make the other stepper motors (RPM, Temperature and Fuel Gauge) work.
Please see the following video made by Mr. Whiteley:

In the video he explains how he fixed the already "tired" or worn spring inside the stepper motor. Due to the loose spring, the stepper cannot find the "zero" position so the IC that controls it cannot start moving it.
If you need to pull out the cluster, look at this video on how to do it:

You donīt need a special tool, just bend a piece of hard wire with the same shape as the shown tool and pull firm but carefully.

In my case, I had the same "tired" spring issue but when I opened the stepper, I bent to much the spring and it got damaged, so I decided to replace the whole stepper. I could not find any company that would sell the Mercedes Benz stepper motors so I went E-Bay and bought an used instrument cluster from the same year of my car. If you decide to do the same, buy a used Instrument Cluster from the same year (1997) as you car. Other years have different steppers motors and may not work.
Unsoldering the used unit is not hard, but first you need to pull out all the speedometer, RPM, Temp and Gas needles which are a little bit tight. Just follow the procedures shown in the video from Mr. Whitelley.

I hope this helps to bring back to life your instrument cluster.

In case of ay question, let me know.

Good luck!

Last edited by Klrgator; 06-15-2016 at 10:53 PM. Reason: gramar error
Old 06-17-2016, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
If u were in SA I would repair it for u.