E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

2000 E320 P0115 Code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E320
2000 E320 P0115 Code

Coolant Temperature Sensor DIY

Removed D ring (without removing thermostat) and took out the old CTS. Quick spurt of coolant jumped out at me, nothing too bad.

Had a lot of trouble installing D ring back on with the new CTS - no clearance to put it back in.

Slightly loosened the thermostat so that I can have clearance to put the D ring back in. When I started tightening everything back up I started noticing that coolant was leaking at the bottom of the car. At this point i realized there was a lot of pressure somewhere so I unscrewed the coolant cap on the left side of the engine bay.

Once I installed the new sensor in and put the D ring back on, screwed thermostat back into place.

Now my question is....what happened with the coolant leaking like that at the bottom of the car? Did the pressure build up too much everywhere? What should I do about it? Just refill the coolant? Or did I perhaps cause a rupture anywhere?
Old 06-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I have much difficulty in trying to understand what you are talking about----however if you are saying that you still have a coolant leak after replacing the CTS---the answer is yes add coolant to the fill mark and visually inspect the coolant system and determine where it is leaking and yes repair!

Or be patient take the car on a 500mile trip and if you run out of coolant then you will know that you haven't fixed the leak!!
Old 06-17-2016, 08:21 PM

W210 E320
Okay, I topped off with distilled water and have not noticed any leaking past couple days. Have not driven the car after fixing, will try and run the car this weekend.

Previous history (before swapping out Coolant Temperature Sensor) Regarding my CEL:

1. Has been on for a couple months and had no problem.
2. Engine shut off at stop sign one day but I was able to turn car off and restart with no problem.
3. 1 week later at a red light, engine died and would not turn back on. I could hear it trying to start but would not turn over. Had to push car to the safety lane and left it to cool down for a couple hours. Later that evening it started back up again. Could this be a CPS sensor failure also?
4. I tested the old Coolant temperature sensor for resistance and saw that it did lower resistance when in hot water. 2.2k when cold, and .9 in hot water. Not sure if theres a specific range it has to be at.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Your description of "warm-enginecut-off" with "restarts-when-engine-cold" - yes - is symptom of failing/failed CPS sensor - I am not a fan of the China knockoff/cheap part - recommend genuine Bosch (not retail auto parts store's claim "part-made by Bosch - which is bullsh*t.

Genuine Bosch from trusted source about $35-$40 - best to take out your existing CPS to determine if it is "one notch style" or "two notch style".

When you replaced the CTS - was that because you got a CEL code pointing to that specific part ?

Just trying to be of help - keep the beat !
Old 06-17-2016, 11:18 PM

W210 E320
Yes, I replaced CTS because of the error code P0115 - which relates to the CTS.

I guess the only way I can be sure if the CPS is also bad is if the car shuts down on me one more time? Perhaps I should replace it just to be safe beforehand. I wish it was not so hard to access.

Just drove the car around for a bit, cleared the CEL. It did not come back after replacing CTS. I made sure to stop at a lot of stop signs and the car did not die. However today the temperature is cool, on the day it would not start back up the weather was very warm, not sure if that also has an effect.

Last edited by Vamz; 06-17-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well, if CTS replacement corrected your PO115 - good news - "often" that code gets triggered by a partially open thermostat - and "often" that thermostat has malfunctioned because of sh*tty coolant mix for a aweful long time.

Your "engine-dies-warm-like-someone-turned-a-off-switch - if you want to wait till it happens again - to save $35-$40 now for a proper CPS replacement - have at it buddy !
Old 06-21-2016, 05:06 PM

W210 E320
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Well, if CTS replacement corrected your PO115 - good news - "often" that code gets triggered by a partially open thermostat - and "often" that thermostat has malfunctioned because of sh*tty coolant mix for a aweful long time.

Your "engine-dies-warm-like-someone-turned-a-off-switch - if you want to wait till it happens again - to save $35-$40 now for a proper CPS replacement - have at it buddy !

Have not seen the CEL after replacing the CTS! I did suspect the thermostat also, however if the CEL comes on again then we will know it's status.

Could a partially open thermostat cause the engine to die at idle?