E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Wipers, Sunroof, Windows, Locks not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon - W210
Wipers, Sunroof, Windows, Locks not working

We are the owners of a W210 wagon (2001). This has not been used for a number of years as we refused to trade it in for the offered price with my wife's GLK. Long story short I want to give it to my nephew and have gone through the thing mechanically, replaced the battery, etc. I've gone through all the 'resets' and am not to the point that I have to change one bulb to get rid of the one warning (burned out bulb). Now the problem.

I've gone through every fuse and confirmed that they are good. At the current time the following items do not work - door locks, wipers, sunroof, windows. I've been reading that it might be a "body control module". Where is the location for this and is there a way to test it? If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

thanks
Old 07-19-2016, 11:49 AM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,054 Likes on 975 Posts
1999 E300TD
Post your VIN!!
Old 07-19-2016, 02:11 PM

2001 E320 Wagon - W210
Sorry, the VIN is WDBJH65J21B232055 since posting, I did some more investigation and I don't think this has a 'body control module' but a SAM (where I thought I would find a 'BCM'). Add to the list of things that don't work - horn and seat adjustment.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,054 Likes on 975 Posts
1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by jfmbz
Sorry, the VIN is WDBJH65J21B232055 since posting, I did some more investigation and I don't think this has a 'body control module' but a SAM (where I thought I would find a 'BCM'). Add to the list of things that don't work - horn and seat adjustment.
You have been reading too much of the Ben's Wurld HS---you are correct there is no body control. Your VIN has the drivers side SAM,and because you have so many things going on I am going to concentrate on the horn and wipers, because within the SAM there is a relay module and on that module you have two relays for the wiper system and one for the horn.Your next step is to test the relays---you do that by looking at the schematic on the relay---apply 12v accordingly, and if you do not hear a click, the relay is faulty--simply replace the relay!To access the K40 relay you open the SAM flip top lid and then remove the four or five screws that hold the SAM cover. Remove the cover and volia the K40 relays become visable.Once you have solved the simple horn and wiper issues,you will be ready to move on to the more difficult doors and locks---However make sure the key fob has a good set of batteries---if not you may have solved another problem!!
Old 07-21-2016, 10:38 AM

2001 E320 Wagon - W210
Thanks for the input. Never really knew you could check relays that way but it makes sense. I have checked all the relays in from the drivers side block as well as the relay on the passenger side block (under the hood/cover) and the block under the back seat.

The one relay did not check out the same was the green relay in position B of the driver side. This is the 'sealed relay'. Where all other relays made a distinctive click this one did not. I assumed the same schematic as the others with prong 85/86 being negative/positive.

thanks
Old 07-22-2016, 11:48 AM

2001 E320 Wagon - W210
btw, I got new batteries and replaced them in my key fob too...same problems still exist.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:03 AM

2001 E320 Wagon - W210
An update on this - still need advise. I'm fairly mechanically inclined so it bugged me that a pretty extensive list of items didn't work. So I've done a lot of analysis and literally have taken out / exposed /inspected almost all the wiring harnesses and components in the car. These are the items that I found:

1. the voltage regulator was bad (replaced).
2. unplugged the PSE / removed - found some moisture got into….got another used one

Now all the following work - but did not before - wipers, horn, windows, seat controls, mirror controls, window washer, auto windows from key fob - up/down (but a cable in an actuator broke so will replace that).

What does not work and need some advise/help - sunroof, interior lighting when you open the door (reading light/front light works when you push button) door locks and I don't believe the security system works. ABS/BAS/ESP light is on still - probably brake light switch.