E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E 320, 1996 - all gadgets are still down (arrows) do not moved..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have two vehicles - E 320, 1996 and E 430, 2001
E 320, 1996 - all gadgets are still down (arrows) do not moved..

Gents, I am new in here and please let me know if I need to provide more additional information about the issue. I will be very appreciate the help.
I have E 320, 1996... still runs great, but some strange issue started few days ago. I turn on the ignition engine started just fine, but all gadgets are still down (arrows) do not moved, however speedometer arrow also is still down but producing a little vibration move and strange like - tr tr tr tr tr tr tr... - sound. Everything else is fine and vehicle can drive without any problem, but as far as all the gadgets are down I can't see the speed, temperature, amount of gas left etc... in old cars there was a little cord behind the speedometer and sometimes that cord can create some issues, but there is no cord, there are two electronic connectors. I unplugged those connectors and plugged them back - no luck. Also next morning when I start the engine all gadgets were OK and up... and can see the speedometer, tachometer, gas, etc... so in other words I is sporadic...

So, Please help !!!

Sincerely

Alex
Old 08-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Who knows,maybe it was a ground. Maybe it was a corroded connector,however the very good news is that you solved the problem and if it happens again you know how to solve the issue,but I would disconnect the battery the next time you putz with the IC!!
The following users liked this post:
akozlovsky (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 04:00 PM

Thank you for your response! The issue is not really resolved yet. it is just going out and coming back by itself... So, will keep trying to figure out, just thought maybe someone already fixed that issue. Thank you again for your prompt response.

Alex
Old 08-14-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 1997
akozlovsky:

I had the same issue some time go in my E320 1997. The main speedometer needle was slightly shaking and not working and my Temp, Fuel and Tachometer were not working at all!

Seems to be that the speedometer coil spring gets "tired" or weak so the speedometer stepper motor does not get back to the original "zero" point or starting point. Seems to be the speedometer stepper motor controls or is connected in series also to the other steppers (Temp, Fuel, Tachometer) and that is why these do not work.

Please check the following video posted by Michael Whiteley in 2014 where he fixes the coil spring by giving it an additional turn:

Please review carefully all the video before proceeding and be careful with all the small gears and parts inside the stepper so you can put them back in the same position and order.

In case you break or damage any of the small parts inside the speedometer stepper motor, you can get an used Instrument Cluster (must be same the year as your car), and use the stepper to replace the damaged one. You have to desolder it (not difficult) and solder in your cluster. This happened to me and once I replaced it, everything came back and worked perfectly.

Let us know if you were able to fix it.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Klrgator; 08-14-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:58 PM

Klgator, Hi.

Thank you very much for the information you provide. Symptomatically speaking this is exactly the problem. I am currently out of town, but will be back home next week and will try exactly what you recommend. Will watch video and try to fix it and will get back to you with result.

I am pretty sure this is it!!!

Thank you again !

Alex