E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Should I buy this car, and WTF is the deal with A/C?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 BMW 735i, 1995 Alfa Spider, 1990 Nissan 300ZX
Should I buy this car, and WTF is the deal with A/C?

Hello all,
I'm an experienced car guy, do all my own work, and am brand new to this forum.
I've been offered a 1999 E320 with just under 100k miles from a friend of my wife who has owned it for the past 10 years. Price TBD. It seems like she's taken good care of it, but has no receipts.
It looks great and drives well, BUT ... the A/C does not work. The good news is that the compressor engages and turns. However, there's no cooling and the radiator fan (behind radiator -- is there a second one in front?) doesn't turn on. I have a set of manifold gauges to check the pressures (haven't yet), and it's quite likely the system needs more refrigerant.
HOWEVER ... there is pretty much zero air of any kind coming through the HVAC system. When I change modes, I can hear the controllers clicking, but no air flow at all in any mode. Also, trying to change the fan speed manually does nothing. Is this likely to be a controller/sensor issue, or is the fan itself likely to be toast, too? (I've had the pleasure of messing with defective fan controllers on a 7-series BMW and a Saab 9000, so I kinda know the drill.)
All comments on the A/C and whether I should buy this car would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help
Old 08-20-2016, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
If the compressor engages you should have enough refrigerant in the system to at least get some sort of cool air. If the blower is out all together (regulators fail pretty commonly) then it won't matter what you set the vents or temperature to. I'd sort the fan out first and go from there.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
x2 on blower regulator to be main suspect.
Seek the forum as the W210 regulators are very expensive, but some owners bought regulator design for different model much cheaper and modify it to fit.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The HVAC fan - let's call "blower fan" - if original fan the iriginal regulator is termed "W140 type" - aftermarket only - available ebay and the like for spice in replacement - and ADD "thermal paste" to give thermal contact between replacement regulator and blower top plate. Replacement cost "about" $40 and $5 for paste.

Mercedes later updated blower/regulator - different blower different "porcupine" regulator - I have only seen "very few" W210 that hand blower/regulator replaced.

You can pull the regulator and see if it is "W140 bar type" or "porcupine" porcupine also aail aftermarket for like maybe $60-$70 - could be lower now.

If radiator/motor fan is not working/turning - freewheeling so to speak - "that" would be a failure of the hydraulic fan clutch.

The replacement Sach/Litens clutch is about $100 - I would recommend you "tool up" for right wrench and holding tool aftermarket for about $60 to help with that job.

My concern there is POSSIBLE OVERHEATING - that you need to check out before getting into it.

A W210 without service history - all other things equal :

1) Immediate transmission service - correct fluid - REPLACE tranny adapter plug with gen MB/MOPAR for $14 - pull and clean CLEAN transmission control module board with $9 can of MAF

2) Check/replace if original style belt tensioner - Conti "kit" $135 with correct OE tensioner/belt/idler pulley - EZ

3) Fresh MB or Valvoline coolant - if water mix use distilled only

4) Fresh plugs Bosch 7422 - Amazon set - highly recommend boot-removal-tool and swivel socket "set" eBay like $50 - really helps with that job - ADD dielectric grease when re-plugging boot's back on top electrode

5) Replace Mann fuel filter - $35 with a few hose clamps

6) Mann or Bosch air filter $14
.................................................. .........
Aircon diagnostic is straightfoward.

Failing belt tensioner can cause premature failure of compressor
Check water pump for signs of "weeping" thru bottom hole.

You will be in there for fan clutch replacement - better to check now.

-------------------------------------
Check rear brake light operation.

Check LCD climate control display for "missing segments"

Check cluster for burnt bulbs or missing matrix-display segments

Headlight polish job at Walmart
.................................................. ..........
Use edmunds.com for 3rd party benchmark for "private party value
.................................................. ..........
Keep the beat !