E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Starter caused engine to lock up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 e320
Starter caused engine to lock up?

Have a 2000 e320. I was having fuel issues, maybe pump/injector, not sure. To get it to start a few times I had to let the starter turn a little bit and give it some gas pedal. So, mechanic tells me I burnt up the starter. Take it to the shop to replace starter and find out the fuel issue. The call me and say somehow by burning up the starter I locked up the engine in the process. They told me the car has a bad motor now? I do not understand. I had the car running minutes before the starter stopped working. Also, is that even possible? Can the starter burn up the motor or make it lock up? Thanks for your time, I have til tomorrow to figure this out.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Lock-up is not very precise word.
From what you saying, leaky injector could flood cylinder and do hydro-lock, but that should not destroy the engine.
Pulling spark plugs and checking compression would give pretty good answer.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Ramsey (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 07:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by Mike Ramsey
Have a 2000 e320. I was having fuel issues, maybe pump/injector, not sure. To get it to start a few times I had to let the starter turn a little bit and give it some gas pedal. So, mechanic tells me I burnt up the starter. Take it to the shop to replace starter and find out the fuel issue. The call me and say somehow by burning up the starter I locked up the engine in the process. They told me the car has a bad motor now? I do not understand. I had the car running minutes before the starter stopped working. Also, is that even possible? Can the starter burn up the motor or make it lock up? Thanks for your time, I have til tomorrow to figure this out.
You may want to get a second opinion as I can't see how a faulty starter will result in a bad motor------that assumes you are correctly reporting on the overall problem!!

Perhaps the mechanic will give you a more detailed diagnosis
The following users liked this post:
Mike Ramsey (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 e320
yeah!

Originally Posted by kajtek1
Lock-up is not very precise word.
From what you saying, leaky injector could flood cylinder and do hydro-lock, but that should not destroy the engine.
Pulling spark plugs and checking compression would give pretty good answer.
Locked up is not precise, I agree for sure! That is what they told me. I had 3 mechanic brothers, the all passed away. I know a solid amount about cars but not much about Mercedes. A few days ago they called and said it was just the starter and would be ready by that afternoon. Next call was that afternoon saying they put starter on and motor is locked-up. Now they have taken starter off and told me pick it up today and pay them $300 for their time.

I have used these guys before but it was for motor mounts and pulleys. I am a bit concerned they are in over their head. I really do not know what to do. It is a 2000 but it is in great shape. Interior is just about perfect, exterior really good. I know I got to pay the $300 and pick it up but not sure what I can do next? I do not think the motor is a problem at all. 1 crank before the starter went out it was running excellent, never a problem. Fluids always on the money. Any thoughts?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Put a starter in the car----take the plugs out------- turn the ignition key----what does it do!!
Old 09-30-2016, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Before you will spend another $300 for starter reinstallation - you can try to turn the engine by hand with 1 plug on each cylinder removed.
It takes pretty big socket, but you should be able to do the test on your driveway.
Avoid turning opposite direction as those engines don't like it.