E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

99 E320 HID Headlight retrofit questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
99 E320 HID Headlight retrofit questions

I tried searching for the answer, but I was unsuccessful, so I apologize if this has already been asked.

I have a 1999 E320 with halogen headlights, and I want to upgrade the headlights, so I figured the best way to do it is to install factory HID headlights. If I do that, is there a model year that's best for plug & play conversions, or should I get an HID version of the 99's headlights? Do the HID 99s use a reflector or projector? Is there anything I have to do to the computer so that it doesn't not give me a bulb out warning?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-31-2016, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
If you upgrade your OEM halogens to OEM HID (reflector based only for 210), you'll should
gain about 1.5-2x in brightness. OEM HID isn't really PnP because in order to do that the
MB way, you're also looking at retrofitting telemetry linkages between the suspension and
the headlight which will probably cost you well into the $1-2k unless you get lucky in finding
a take-off from a totaled vehicle.

The bulb malfunction warning will trigger if the resistance in the ballast is too low but
there isn't an easy way to tell. That said, I retrofitted E55 bixenon from 211 model into
a Depo projector based headlight (Asian production). I used MB OEM Hella ballast to
power my headlights. It did not trigger the bulb malfunction warning even though I had
converted from halogen over to HID - 1999 E320 sedan. Had I used a more efficient
and newer ballast, the malfunction might have triggered.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:30 PM

E320
Thanks for your reply. Are you referring to the leveling system? I was going to just leave that disconnected. That should be no problem right?

Is it easy to get the headlights out? Does the bumper cover have to come off? I wonder if there is a DIY available.

Retrofitting a Depo headlight is a good idea. Did you bake it to open it? Is it like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-1999-Me...xWOXQT&vxp=mtr

Originally Posted by raymond g-
If you upgrade your OEM halogens to OEM HID (reflector based only for 210), you'll should
gain about 1.5-2x in brightness. OEM HID isn't really PnP because in order to do that the
MB way, you're also looking at retrofitting telemetry linkages between the suspension and
the headlight which will probably cost you well into the $1-2k unless you get lucky in finding
a take-off from a totaled vehicle.

The bulb malfunction warning will trigger if the resistance in the ballast is too low but
there isn't an easy way to tell. That said, I retrofitted E55 bixenon from 211 model into
a Depo projector based headlight (Asian production). I used MB OEM Hella ballast to
power my headlights. It did not trigger the bulb malfunction warning even though I had
converted from halogen over to HID - 1999 E320 sedan. Had I used a more efficient
and newer ballast, the malfunction might have triggered.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
yeah, that's the label, leveling system. it didn't come to me earlier and I made it sound
more complicated than it was.

retrofitting is technically illegal. if your location subjects you to vehicle inspection, this may
be a deal breaker. your call.

check under this link under "light"
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...cal-order.html

search this 210 forum for other threads on retrofitting. success will depend on your
craft and fabrication skills. not difficult for some people. challenging for others. so
read the DIY posted by others to see if they make sense to you.

check Youtube for headlight removal.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:59 PM

E320
Don't get stock HIDs!!!!!

I just bought a set of genuine E320 headlights that came with HID stock, and the light output is abysmal. To anyone even considering this swap, forget it. I'm going straight to the DEPO retrofit.

Thanks for the link Raymond. Our inspector just looks for the word "DOT" on the lens, so I'm good with that. I've been spoiled by my Acura TL projectors. I just happen to have a set of bixenon Merceces projectors laying around that I was going to use for an HID flashlight project, so I plan to use those.

Originally Posted by raymond g-
yeah, that's the label, leveling system. it didn't come to me earlier and I made it sound
more complicated than it was.

retrofitting is technically illegal. if your location subjects you to vehicle inspection, this may
be a deal breaker. your call.

check under this link under "light"
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...cal-order.html

search this 210 forum for other threads on retrofitting. success will depend on your
craft and fabrication skills. not difficult for some people. challenging for others. so
read the DIY posted by others to see if they make sense to you.

check Youtube for headlight removal.