E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Reverse Click on 722.6?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320 M104
Reverse Click on 722.6?

So I've heard of reverse clicking when the plates wear on the 722.3-722.5 causing the piston to contact the B3 pack, but I can't find anything on the 722.6 doing this? I have a 1997 E320 and I'm getting ready to do the conductor plate, 13 pin plug, drain and fill, filter etc. (The car leaks fluid from the plug like a sieve, and doesn't want to get out of limp) and I've very recently noticed a clicking while in reverse. Is this the same "B3" issue? Am I going to have to have it rebuilt? I barely ever do anything in reverse, and it does it warm and cold, so since it's such a new symptom I'm hoping it can be rectified easily while I'm in the trans rather than having to not use reverse for a year until I have enough money to rebuild it. Thanks for your help guys!

UPDATE: It is indeed a 722.605 according to the maintenance manual, since this was a transition year for that trans I figured I'd double check.

Last edited by GHOSTHOUND; 11-27-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
You have been reading to much HS at Ben's Wurld---the clicking has nothing to do with your tranny, for all you know it could be squirrel poop in the brakes---do yourself a huge favor--get a quick test to determine why limp mode--is it electrical or mechanical and what before you dive in and screw things up like commenting on B3!!

PS: and if someone suggests taking fan blades off or purchasing a polka scanner---be watchful!!
Old 12-01-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320 M104
Originally Posted by Plutoe
You have been reading to much HS at Ben's Wurld---the clicking has nothing to do with your tranny, for all you know it could be squirrel poop in the brakes---do yourself a huge favor--get a quick test to determine why limp mode--is it electrical or mechanical and what before you dive in and screw things up like commenting on B3!!

PS: and if someone suggests taking fan blades off or purchasing a polka scanner---be watchful!!
Thanks for the reply! I'm new to Mercedes so I was just curious on the click! Limp mode is P0715, the speed sensor was cracked (already took the plunge and replaced the conductor plate and harness connector). I was pretty sure it wasn't the transmission clicking but it just had me paranoid with all of the other transmission issues I was having. I'm limping the car about 20 miles to town today to have the TCU reset so I can have my friggin' car back. (Tired of driving our Lincoln LS V8 that likes to break random parts in the hardest to reach places, and my grandmothers C230 Kompressor) Going to do a double check on warm fluid level a couple miles away from home just in case. It's going to be a long drive in second gear but luckily I don't have to take any major roads, at least not for a very far distance. Thanks for the help!