E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

NSS wiring rotten

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 e320
NSS wiring rotten

OK I need some help. Washed my wife's 96 e320 about 4 months ago and screwed something up. After washing it we went to dinner started her up and when I shifted to reverse made a loud grind noise then stopped and everything was fine, so we thought. Found that I had no reverse lights. Checked the fuses on the driver's side dash and found the #4 fuse blown. Replaced started and as soon as I went to reverse blown again. With the fuse out no problem just no reverse lights.
With fuse in can put key to start position, shift to reverse and the starter starts the car. Do I thought has to do something with the NSS. Went looking and found the wire harness all rotten.
Waiting for new NSS switch to arrive I went to try to figure out where all the wires go and do. From the NSS upto the engine compartment a 6 pin connector.
Pin 1 red/blk and pin 2 gry -reverse lights to nss
Pin 3 blk- think it goes to kickdown switch???
Pin 4 purp-to NSS hot on startup
Pin 5 brn - ???? Grd??
Pin 6 - r/brn - ???? Always hot???

When I separate the two halves I did a continuity test and had a tone from pin 5 brn/wht and pin 2 gry/grn
And with a fuse good fuse in 4 I get a tone pin 5 brn/wht and pin 1 gry.

I think I definitely have a short but am not able to make sense of all this. Help