E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Reprogramming dome light assembly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz E320
Reprogramming dome light assembly

Hi all,

The receiver unit housed within the dome light assembly in the front of the vehicle seems not to want to work most of the time so I snatched myself one off of a different 99 e320. The problem is that I dont think it will be as simple as attaching four connectors to get it to work. I am assuming some reprogramming will be required. Am I correct in my assumption? If not, please post a reply containing the reprogramming procedure.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
98 E320, 02 LS430
If it is from the same model year / type car it should be fine to replace it. No version coding is needed (or even possible).

The question is, if your N70 module (the IRCL) is kind of working, what makes you think that it is faulty? The main suspect would be a bad antenna connection from the unit to the antenna lead. I would take the unit out and inspect that first.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz E320
The dome light assembly I was told houses a receiver for the key fob. I noticed a few weeks ago that the dome light would work only intermittently so I decided to take it apart. I noticed that there were burn marks where the bulb was so I thought that it was just a burned bulb. I didn't have a spare bulb in hand so I just put the assembly back and all of a sudden the "burned bulb" worked again. My key fob also began to work (prior to this it only worked if pointed near the driver and passenger door handles) which I thought was strange. After doing some research I found that the dome light assemblies are known to have electrical problems and it turns out in my case that it did. Anyways, I just installed the new assembly off of another 99 e320 and it works great. I can be almost 50 meters away and it will still register.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
98 E320, 02 LS430
Nice to see your problem is resolved, but I do not think it had anything to do with the burnt bulb You could take it out to simulate a burnt bulb, but now you replaced it with a new unit, that is a moot point. You probably cleared a bad connection somewhere by playing with it. Note that the indoor temperature sensor is in the same area. Make sure that the replacement unit has a working one (from your a/c unit hidden menu you can display the readings).

Also I hated those bulbs. They never made good connection and burn prematurely. I replaced them with LED bulbs (actually flat LED squares) with the right size and connections. Since then never had any problems. Since they are internal lights you do not need special can_bus compatible ones, as they will not cause lamp defect errors.