E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Lights won't work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Lights won't work

2000 E320 wagon; I'm not sure what the lights below the high beams are called but mine are not working. Bulbs are good. 12 volts coming out of the socket. Sockets are good. Perplexing. Is there an amperage requirement for these lights to work?
Old 01-13-2017, 03:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If you have the proper voltage at the socket and you say your bulbs are good--then you have found one of the mysteries of the universe--dark bulbs----they will never emit any light and very useful for day time driving.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
if you've verified that the bulb filament is intact and lights up via independent power source,
and you've verified that 12vdc exists at the bulb socket when the light switch is deployed,
then the only thing I can think of is that it is experiencing power interruptus between the
socket and the bulb so clean the bulb contacts AND the bulb socket contacts.

then, plug the bulb into the socket, turn on the power, and take another voltage reading
because I'm presuming you did the aforementioned verifications separately.

it may be something bigger, as the odds of both bulbs being out at the same time is low
unless the cause is from something further upstream. It's a very simple circuit so you'll
just need to be systematic with troubleshooting.

also, it would help if you are specific with your descriptions and to detail how you've
arrived at the fact that the 'bulbs are good.' also, why did you only test one socket
instead of both for voltage?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Are you saying both original bulbs "died" at the same time ?

Are you saying - one originals dies first - and when you went to replace both at same time (which is smart) - the replacements don't work ?

If you have replaced the original bulbs with "new" bulbs - there are two metal stubby alignment pins on the base of the bulb to guide into the socket - check the "pin" alignment on of a original bulb - and the alignment of the pins on the replacement.

Bulbs can be same/correct Bulb# - if I remember correclty late tonight - I believe Mercedes (and Audi - maybe even VW) use a 12PM/4:30-5PM pin alignment - and US/Japan (much more comment) with same bulb use a 12PM/6PM alignment - I "think" - jamming in the US/Japan 12PM/6PM into the 12PM/4:30-5PM socket can cracked the socket/and-or lead to non-working.

Hope this helps - again it's from my late-night head..
Old 01-17-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
I did a number of tests to determine what the issue was and came to the conclusion that there is an ampere requirement. I checked out a junkyard car and found a resistor along the wiring going to the bulb. Why it's there, I don't know. I liked the response about the daytime lights. Thanks everyone for their input. I've decided that my car doesn't like me and like a dog that gets shuffled to a new owner will rebel and be non-cooperative. More issues to come.