Pat Goss on the CDI..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Pat Goss on the CDI..

I posted this info in the body of a previous thread, but I don't think that it will get the attention of CDI owners like having it's own thread.. so here goes.

I sent him an email basically asking about additives to use on occasion to keep the injectors clean, etc.. here's what I said and he said..

Hi Sam:

I certainly wouldn't lay claim to being a foremost anything but as
far as my
CDI goes yes I use an additive. The one I use is made by BG
Products 248 or
BG 44-K. Both are excellent products that help keep those expensive
injectors clean without the possibility of damage to system
components.

Hope you like your CDI as much as I do. It is the most amazing
vehicle I
have driven. I love the performance and the fuel economy isn't bad
either.

Sincerely,
Pat Goss

MotorWeek
News Channel 8
WJFK Radio
Washington Post
For Vettes Only

Goss' Garage
9421 Smith Avenue
Lanham-Seabrook, MD 20706-4045
301-577-9200
PatGoss@Goss-Garage.com
www.goss-garage.com

----- Original Message -----
To: "Pat Goss" <patgoss@goss-garage.com>
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 7:25 AM
Subject: Fw: Mercedes CDI

----- Original Message -----
To: <service@goss-garage.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 10:21 AM
Subject: Mercedes CDI

Hello

Hope this can make it to Pat Goss.

I read with great excitement that Pat drives a Mercedes CDI.. I
drive one too, and love it. I wonder if one of the foremost
mechanical minds in the business can help me out with a quick
question..

Do you use any (techron, etc..) additives in your CDI at all? MB
says not to, but then they only have to worry about the car for the
first 50,000 miles!

Thanks

Sam

I like the last part of his email...
Old 07-29-2005, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
I think this is not such good advice. My owner's manual states: "Diesel Engine: If you use non-approved fuels and/or special additives, your warranty rights will be limited."
Old 07-30-2005, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I actually confirmed it with the local dealer, and indeed they believe that when the milage reaches in the mid twenties, it would merit using a quality injector cleaner. The manual says your warranty rights "may" be limited because they are concerned you're going to use some snake oil like STP or Slick50 and that stuff can harm your car. A great many professional mechanics swear by Techron (gas cars) and BK44G.

Remember, your warranty lasts thru 50,000 miles, but your car may need to last well over 100,000...

Last edited by CE750; 07-30-2005 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
I think khaug offers good cautionary advice. "May" gives the dealer/manufacturer discretion to void the warranty for a paraticular problem or component.

If, for expample, you tried a lemon law return and the manufacturer asserted your breach of their instructions (and they linked it to the failure/problem), you'd be in a tough spot.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TPAbnz
I think khaug offers good cautionary advice. "May" gives the dealer/manufacturer discretion to void the warranty for a paraticular problem or component.

If, for expample, you tried a lemon law return and the manufacturer asserted your breach of their instructions (and they linked it to the failure/problem), you'd be in a tough spot.
Under law the failure has to be directly linked to the modification and proven by the manufacturer before a claim is denied. Furthermore, the dealer I go to concurred that this is good to do on intervals, and lastly, they went as far as told me that dumping a quart of ATF (Dextron) into the fuel tank also works on older diesels (circa 1996 and older) and is approved by MB.

That all said, my thread wasn't so much about additives but about the comment that Pat love's his CDI.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ZipCar NYC / Boston
Wow Pat Goss drives a CDI!!! Good Find! I have been watching him on MotorWeek with John Davis since they were on PBS when I was probably 8 or 9...
Old 08-04-2005, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by onpaws
Wow Pat Goss drives a CDI!!! Good Find! I have been watching him on MotorWeek with John Davis since they were on PBS when I was probably 8 or 9...
yeah, me too... I really love that show. I posted this because I though it was cool that Pat loves his CDI so much and didn't want to get hung up on the additive debate (I prolly should have just edited the emails).
Old 08-04-2005, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by khaug
I think this is not such good advice. My owner's manual states: "Diesel Engine: If you use non-approved fuels and/or special additives, your warranty rights will be limited."

I 100% endorse Khaug's comments. Mechanic's do indeed speak from experience and with the greatest of respect what experience do they have on these very modern CDI engines?

These vehicles are regularly used by our emegency services which thrash the living daylights out of the engine. The vehicles are expected (and do) last for three years after which time they are bought back by the supplying dealer. Each vehicle will do approximately 100,000 miles per year and have its oil changed at approximately every 20,000 miles in accordance with the Advanced ASSYST servicing system. These vehicles are being used because of their excellent reliability, and brilliant buy back price (300,000 miles on the speedo???) (They are mostly 320CDI Avantgardes fitted out with Police equipment)

The 320CDI is proving to be extremely reliable especially when you consider the service intervals, and NO repeat NO additives are put into the fuel (unless the dealerships decides to put a recommended product in at service).

This to me is experience! We will never drive our vehicle in the way the emergency services drive theirs and if the car is good for possibly 300,000 miles of hard earnt motoring, then I'm sure it will survive the mileage that the average owner will acheive without putting any 'additive' into the tank.

It is always worth absolutely flooring the throttle periodically just to 'clear out the old tubes' but I would avoid additives like I would avoid listening to a political speech.

Finally European 211's have the 30 year Mobilio warranty which is free and provides a free breakdown cover anywhere in Europe\Great Britain for the thirty years, so they must be pretty confident.

Have a nice day,
John
Old 08-04-2005, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
John,
I love reading your responses. The fact that they can beat up their engines in that manner yet still are reliable is very reassuring to me.
Cheers!
Jay
Old 08-04-2005, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by saffrontiger
John,
I love reading your responses. The fact that they can beat up their engines in that manner yet still are reliable is very reassuring to me.
Cheers!
Jay
Hi Jay,
I couldn't believe it when I first saw these vehicles being used, but like you, I looked on the positive aspects of it.

Police vehicles are usually serviced at there own workshops, but the 211's are very much the exception. They always go back to the nearest Mercedes-Benz dealership, although I don't think they get a courtesy car.

Nice speaking to you, and take care,
John
Old 08-04-2005, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This speaks well for the OM648 engine... which the guys in the 60x engine forums certainly won't want to hear. We keep getting told that these new CDI's are not going to last half as long as the older 240 and 300D's.. but time will tell.

As for additives.. my mechanic (Dealer) said they will run a cleaner (BG44K) thru at the 13000 service.. so I am willing to suspect that your commercial fleet gets some kind of treatment during their 20,000 service. Diesel, at least here in the US, has a lot of particulate matter, and what your fuel filter doesn't catch will cause your injectors to clog up, and reduce (not eliminate) your fuel milage and power.

The purpose of the manual statement is so that end users don't just go grab any old additive off the self at a local car parts store and dump it in indiscriminately. Pat Goss, and my mechanic are enough proof of the need for good additives on occasion for me.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CE750
Diesel, at least here in the US, has a lot of particulate matter, and what your fuel filter doesn't catch will cause your injectors to clog up, and reduce (not eliminate) your fuel milage and power.
Hi CE750,
An excellent point, your diesel fuel is indeed 'different', and your dealer will no doubt be fully informed on how best to deal with this. I still believe that it might not be the wisest move to simply pour in any old 'off the shelf' product. Stick with main dealers that get regular and updated information from Mercedes-Benz will always be my choice of servicing.

The 320CDI is indeed a tried and very trusted workhorse, don't forget it has been available in Europe for over five years, some European countries even use them as taxi's!

There will no doubt be the exception and someone somewhere will no doubt know someone's uncle, whose aunt has a nephew whose father had a 320CDI that blew up after only 20,000 miles.

This is our fifth CDI powered vehicle (second 320CDI) and I can see no reason to ever go back to a petrol powered car.

If you ever get the 420CDI over there then this 4ltr diesel will blow away the E500 and laugh at petrol stations as it cruises by them. Let old dyed in the wool folks laugh, but I respectfully suggest it is the laugh of maybe a little envy?

Happy motoring,
John
Old 08-04-2005, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a 420CDI being imported into the US would cause me to have to sell my 320CDI at a loss, so I can't have that happen just yet.. let me get 2-3 years of enjoyment out of my investment, then I can pony up the $60K+ for a 420CDI.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CE750
a 420CDI being imported into the US would cause me to have to sell my 320CDI at a loss, so I can't have that happen just yet.. let me get 2-3 years of enjoyment out of my investment, then I can pony up the $60K+ for a 420CDI.
It has been deemed uneconomical to adapt this vehicle for us 'civilized' folks who drive on the correct side of the Queens Highway!

So no 4Matic's, and no V8 E-class

Regards,
John