E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E320 CDI Power Loss and Limp Home Mode

Old 11-08-2005, 04:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota

This is info from another website that could be useful:
"I have a 2005 CDI just 1 year old, 21K miles on it. I've had similar issues. After about 6 months the car would accasionally cough and stall, or cough then run.......coasting off a highway ramp, asked for power, got none. Acceleration was limited and engine noise was distinctly louder...... MB found that stopping and restarting it restored power. They told me this was the computer putting the car in the Limp Home Mode. This code occurs when the computer thinks that continued use might damage the engine, so it restricts output to half throttle and transmission to lower gears.

AFTER THE EGR VALVE WAS REPLACED, CAR IS BACK TO DELIGHTFUL SELF....."

It looks like they are having some EGR problems. I am putting a note in my Operating Manual regarding the loss of power problem.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm

It looks like they are having some EGR problems. I am putting a note in my Operating Manual regarding the loss of power problem.

seems to be a common problem, this happened to me and it was the same problem
Old 11-08-2005, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
holy smokes, that sounds exactly what i've been experiencing with the sputtering and hesitation. Sorry for the basic question but what exactly is an EGR valve?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Originally Posted by kort677
seems to be a common problem, this happened to me and it was the same problem
Kort have you had any issues after this? Did the CEL come on? Did they also take a look at the transmission. Just trying cover all of the possible diagnoses. Ontop of the diesel smell and leaks which have now been fixed, the ongoing hesitation continues especially after driving at highway speeds and taking my footy off the gas pedal (ie. exiting the ramp) the car begins to hesitate and feels as though if i don't give it some throttle it will stall. Frustrating but after all of this, i still love the CDI. Go figure
Jay
Old 11-09-2005, 07:00 AM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
Originally Posted by saffrontiger
Kort have you had any issues after this? Did the CEL come on? Did they also take a look at the transmission. Just trying cover all of the possible diagnoses. Ontop of the diesel smell and leaks which have now been fixed, the ongoing hesitation continues especially after driving at highway speeds and taking my footy off the gas pedal (ie. exiting the ramp) the car begins to hesitate and feels as though if i don't give it some throttle it will stall. Frustrating but after all of this, i still love the CDI. Go figure
Jay
Nothing came on, the car just went into limp mode, took it to the dealer and they replaced the egr valve, no problems since then and that was 30k miles ago
Old 11-09-2005, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by saffrontiger
holy smokes, that sounds exactly what i've been experiencing with the sputtering and hesitation. Sorry for the basic question but what exactly is an EGR valve?
Exhaust gas recirculation valve.... does exactly what it says, and keeps the engine warmer inside, and aids combustion.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by CE750
Exhaust gas recirculation valve.... does exactly what it says, and keeps the engine warmer inside, and aids combustion.
It actually feeds some exhaust gas back into the intake manifold to reduce ignition temperatures and that will reduce NOX.

The valve should only open at part throttle. At idle or with a closed throttle, the valve should close to prevent exhaust gasses from getting to the intake. If the valve fails to close you can have a rough idle or similar problems. With modern engines, electronics and sensors are used rather than the old vacuum method so there could be something else besides the EGR Valve at fault.

EGR is designed for one purpose, to reduce emissions. Otherwise, it woudn't be there.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:08 PM

2006 E320 CDI
W211 CDI EGR Replcement

I wanted to thank all who contribute to this forum, I have learned alot, and saved countless $$ from the info on these forums. My '06 CDI has been misbehaving, and finally pinned it down to the EGR. The P0404 code led me to the EGR, I took the EGR apart, and cleaned the soot under the plastic cam cover, still goes into limp mode. Aftrer removing the EGR again I was able to determine that the tempered steel return spring was broken and the cam would not return to the home position. If you follow other threads, there's no way to rebuild these due to the welded cam. A little patience and a lot of research yielded the following: Mercedes offers a rebuilt Wahler EGR also if you buy one from the dealer, there is a core charge. You can pick one up for under $400 delivered, then return the core. I hope this helps someone , as this forum has inspired and helped me.......
The following users liked this post:
blissjoy (06-07-2022)
Old 03-17-2016, 02:55 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
e320
Great info, thanks for posting this
Old 03-17-2016, 09:35 PM

2006 E320 CDI
I will update when I recieve the parts, I expect final cost to be around $370, From an online parts site, after shipping back the core. I haven't seen anything cheaper.
With the $$ I save I will replace the flexible disc on the driveshaft, then onto the upgrading the calipers and rotors......
Old 03-24-2016, 03:02 AM

2005 cdi

The turbo has an actuator in it that sticks because of carbon in the vanes. If you take the air filter off start the engine and run it at about 2000 rpm spray water in the intake about half a bottle of distilled water in a spray bottle , take your time and shoot the water in slowly. This should free up the vanes in the vnt turbo. Once the carbon is freed up in the turbo it will all go out the exhaust. Worked for me after getting all the BS from the dealer. I actually used my windshield washer reservoir and routed the hose into the plenum after the Maf sensor. While I drove I squirted water from the washer button into the engine. Not a sniff of limp home mode now for over a month. I drive it every day and lots of miles.------now working for over two years. cost me 5 dollars to fix
blissjoy (06-07-2022)
Old 05-03-2016, 11:02 PM

2006 E320 CDI

Well finally i got the credit for the core on my EGR from parts.com, so far no issues with limp mode or CEL. In my case I know the EGR was the issue, I still get a little black smoke every now and then, I think something else is amiss, but I am happy with it. after shipping and returns, the EGR was around $375, was the best deal I could get. I took photos, will post when I find camera......
Anybody know where I can get a decent tune for low $$ I'd like to go with GDE but I have kids to put through college.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:01 AM

2006 E320 CDI
Help please- My 2006 E320CDI goes into engine limp mode occasionally. No warning lights no visible problems. Only happens if the car is not driven for a couple of days. After a short drive, shut off and restart runs fine.
Took it into my dealer who confirmed there are no problems only the electric motor that operates the limp mode is faulty.
Quote for parts and labour $3K.
Is there any way to override limp mode via the computer or eliminate limp mode mechanically?
Car is like new, 150K km full dealer service history from new,
Thanks

Last edited by Al Spaeth; 06-18-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:36 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Al Spaeth
Help please- My 2006 E320CDI goes into engine limp mode occasionally. No warning lights no visible problems. Only happens if the car is not driven for a couple of days. After a short drive, shut off and restart runs fine.
Took it into my dealer who confirmed there are no problems only the electric motor that operates the limp mode is faulty.
Quote for parts and labour $3K.
Is there any way to override limp mode via the computer or eliminate limp mode mechanically?
Car is like new, 150K km full dealer service history from new,
Thanks
A limp mode electric motor??? Konigstiger where are you? Is there such a servo?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,411 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Common limp mode causes:
- Faulty mass air sensor (MAS)
- Electronic throttle actuator problems
- Broke, cracked, loose wiring harnesses
- Faulty brake light sensor
- Corroded computer module contacts (i.e.: transmission control unit, transmission shift module)
- Problems with transmission valve body and/or conductor plate

Ask dealer to clarify exactly what it is they are suggesting to replace.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:05 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Thumbs up EGR fix

I'm fairly new to CDI, but have been a tech for a long time now retired. Bought this car (2005 E320 CDI) with 160K miles. . Kept going into limp mode. Some times no check engine light or code (using very basic scanner). Finally got it to throw a code for EGR. Took the valve off. Noticed the valve return spring wasn't able to close the valve reliably. The valve stem was carboned up and sticking. Used chem tool to saturate down into the stem guide and stroked the valve open and closed for quite a bit until I was able to dissolve the carbon. Used Kroil to lube the guide roller and stem. The action of the valve is now night and day better. Closes nicely. Put it back on and voila! The electrical part of these valves is bulletproof as far as I can tell. The only failure that might spell real trouble is if the return spring is broken. You would have to grind the weld off the shaft to get the arm off the shaft and figure out a replacement spring, then tack it back on. It seems barring anything breaking, the failure mode is these valves just sticking, and a good cleaning and lubing will fix em right up.

Last edited by Doug Ferguson; 04-28-2020 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo
blissjoy (06-07-2022)
Old 11-28-2023, 01:24 PM

2005 e320 cdi
Same problem but EGR valve replacement didnt solve the problem

Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm
This is info from another website that could be useful:
"I have a 2005 CDI just 1 year old, 21K miles on it. I've had similar issues. After about 6 months the car would accasionally cough and stall, or cough then run.......coasting off a highway ramp, asked for power, got none. Acceleration was limited and engine noise was distinctly louder...... MB found that stopping and restarting it restored power. They told me this was the computer putting the car in the Limp Home Mode. This code occurs when the computer thinks that continued use might damage the engine, so it restricts output to half throttle and transmission to lower gears.

My 2005 CDI with 200k miles has the coughing problem and occsional loss of power. Check engine light came on and it threw the EGR value issue. After changing the EGR valve, the check engine light went away but the problem of coughing hesitation and occasiional loss power still exists although diminished. I looked at this blog and someone had posted switching to lower gear and blasting the carbon deposits in entry ramps to highways and stop driving like an old lady. When I switch to the lower gear, the power is back on. Any suggestions from the group is much appreciated. There are not too many trained mechanics that I know of who can deal with Mercedez Diesel who are reasonable in Sandiego area. Thanks in advance for your input.