E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

COMMAND w MOST or D2B?

Old 03-01-2006, 04:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
COMMAND w MOST or D2B?

Hey, I've been trying to find out if my car has MOST or D2B and if it has the command system or not so I can find out if I can retrofit a DVD-command system in it. It's a 2003 e320. Currently it does not have the NAV command system, but I'm not sure if the head unit I have now is COMMAND or is compatible with MOST. I know I have the Harmon Kardon sound system with Logic7 but I dunno if that makes a difference. Anybody know how to find out? Dealer wasn't very helpful. This picture is exactly like the inside of my car

http://www.jff2k.de/daten/wallpaper/...11-18_1024.jpg
Old 03-01-2006, 04:57 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
If it's an '03, it's got MOST. The '03 North American head units are not compatible with map-based navigation. It's possible to retrofit map-based navigation to an '03, but it's not cheap or easy because it requires replacement of the head unit.

Oh, and the site you linked your image from doesn't allow direct linking. "Nasty", indeed.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320, looking to buy a Black 03 ML500
Newbie question....What is MOST?

Thanks
Will
Old 03-01-2006, 09:17 PM

Thnx DWP, this pic might help alittle more.

J3cubcapt
MOST is a term for the way that the entertainment systems in mercedes cars handle all the info. It stands for Media Oriented Systems Transport. In a nutshell it's a fiber optic network kinda like a LAN network of computers that communicate with each other to do the complex tasks of an interactive entertainment system such as controlling everything from one head unit, steering wheel control with display etc. They all have to have a way to communicate with each other. The older mercedes cars used a fiber optic network called D2B or Digital Data Bus that was slowere than MOST and became obsolete. I guess the good thing aobut MOST is that you're supposed to theotically be able to plug-and play a device and have it work seemlessly with your OEM stuff which you can't do with D2B... We'll see how that goes in the next few years. The problem is that not many manufacturers make MOST enabled devices which make us stuck with getting electronics from the dealer. If they do come out with more "plug-and-play" aftermarket products that actually work in the Mercedes cars, that'll definitely be cool.
My $0.02

Old 03-01-2006, 10:48 PM

Nick, thanks for taking to time to "Learn" me that!

Will
Old 03-01-2006, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Nickthegreek
Thnx DWP, this pic might help alittle more.

J3cubcapt
MOST is a term for the way that the entertainment systems in mercedes cars handle all the info. It stands for Media Oriented Systems Transport. In a nutshell it's a fiber optic network kinda like a LAN network of computers that communicate with each other to do the complex tasks of an interactive entertainment system such as controlling everything from one head unit, steering wheel control with display etc. They all have to have a way to communicate with each other. The older mercedes cars used a fiber optic network called D2B or Digital Data Bus that was slowere than MOST and became obsolete. I guess the good thing aobut MOST is that you're supposed to theotically be able to plug-and play a device and have it work seemlessly with your OEM stuff which you can't do with D2B... We'll see how that goes in the next few years. The problem is that not many manufacturers make MOST enabled devices which make us stuck with getting electronics from the dealer. If they do come out with more "plug-and-play" aftermarket products that actually work in the Mercedes cars, that'll definitely be cool.
My $0.02
I keep hearing that new hardware will come for just the things you suggested.

However ..... the Mercedes W211 head unit does not use text code to generate buttons but instead it uses pixels (bitmaps) so even if you do score some new devices they must always comply with the head unit setup.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:39 PM

Earlier I submitted a post about the idea that maybe you can scrap the head unit and use a custom built car PC with a MOST-PC interface that could "trick" the car into thinking that it is the headunit. But I'd doubt that that would be anytime soon. Prolly not enough motivation to develop software. Plus mercedes prolly wouldn't want that known. I've seen a developer interface for a PC but it is expensive and you need extensive knowledge of the mercedes progamming. I spoke to a guy from OASIS silicon technology which is making the interface and he said that in a Mercedes there is alot more than just simple commands. The MOST has to communicate with the CANbus for diagnosis and other commands and you could end up with weirds quirks. Man if I could only scrap that head unit and go with some sort of aftermarket touchscreen that retains full functionality that'd be the S@#$t. And if you can integrate a mini-PC that you easily upgrade, then I can tell the dealer to go take a hike.

That'll be the day,

Wishful thinkin
Old 03-01-2006, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Nickthegreek
Earlier I submitted a post about the idea that maybe you can scrap the head unit and use a custom built car PC with a MOST-PC interface that could "trick" the car into thinking that it is the headunit. But I'd doubt that that would be anytime soon. Prolly not enough motivation to develop software. Plus mercedes prolly wouldn't want that known. I've seen a developer interface for a PC but it is expensive and you need extensive knowledge of the mercedes progamming. I spoke to a guy from OASIS silicon technology which is making the interface and he said that in a Mercedes there is alot more than just simple commands. The MOST has to communicate with the CANbus for diagnosis and other commands and you could end up with weirds quirks. Man if I could only scrap that head unit and go with some sort of aftermarket touchscreen that retains full functionality that'd be the S@#$t. And if you can integrate a mini-PC that you easily upgrade, then I can tell the dealer to go take a hike.

That'll be the day,

Wishful thinkin
ALpine and Becker have a hard enough time making a decent head unit. They would have a dozen guys on it full time. The interface screens with all of the logos and button images takes another several dozen people to cope with all of the languages needed.

If you start now you will have a result but I can say with some confidence that by this time next year you will have a new appreciation for what is currently being sold.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:02 AM

This is what I would like to install in my car!!! It has everything I would ever want....

http://streetdeck.com/
Old 03-02-2006, 11:15 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by j3cubcapt
This is what I would like to install in my car!!! It has everything I would ever want....

http://streetdeck.com/
... at least until the next New Big Thing (digital radio, DVD audio, etc.) comes along. Looks like the "satellite radio" is XM, which would be swell with me. No AM radio, though? How am I supposed to get my daily dose of Rush?