E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Mercedes-Benz E-Class reliability - how does it truly compare?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Dodge Charger R/T
Originally Posted by lkchris
The reliability kerfuffle is stupid.

If you've been installing the same lump of an engine for 50 years, it could possibly be "reliable" but it won't be interesting.

If your car has an engine that gets 0.5 horsepower per cubic inch, it may prove more "reliable" than one that gets 1.0 or greater hp/cu inch, the latter describing most Mercedes engines.

If your car has no electronic features, none will break down.

If your car company seldom tries anything new but instead just copies rather than leads, your car (?) may prove more reliable.

Is your car ever used as a Taxi?

If you can find a car that compares to a Mercedes, then you can compare "reliability."

For sure, BMWs are less "reliable." (Proactively replace your radiator, water pump and thermostat every 60K miles or risk your engine.)

Porsches may be a bit better than Mercedes.

Nothing much else really compares, does it?
Great response...very well put....so there!
Old 10-27-2007, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't make recommendations based on reliability unless someone says it's very important to them. My general philosophy with this research is that the key thing is to provide actual repair rates, and not just red and black dots.

With actual repair rates, people can decide if a car's advantages outweigh whatever its repair rate might be, or vice-versa. Often the differences between cars are much smaller than people think they are.

The key thing is that each car buyer should be able to make this decision on their own, not have it made for them by someone who decides that any car with a below average repair rate (whatever the average might be) ought to be avoided.

TrueDelta's November results will finally include a Mercedes model, the 2007 GL-Class.

Vehicle reliability research
Old 10-29-2007, 06:36 PM
rjm

Multiple
Originally Posted by DerekACS
If you have another occasion to speak to a Lexus salesman, ask him to explain why the number of Toyota/Lexus cars recalled worldwide in 2006 exceeded the number of cars they built in the same year !!!!
So much for Lexus reliability !!!!
I don't know where you get your data from. I've owned an E-Class Mercedes, a Lexus LS430 (still do) and a BMW 328i (still do) and I can tell you the Lexus and the BMW exceed the reliablility and dependibility of the Mercedes by a wide margin. My Mercedes spent more time in the garage being fixed than on the road.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The purpose of this research is to help provide some readily comparable repair rates for these cars. Where I do have numbers, the differences tend to be what people expect them to be, but not as large as people expect them to be.

2003, 2005, 2006, and 2007 are now all over half way to the minimum number of enrolled cars needed to get started.

Auto reliability research -- need more E's!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:32 AM

08' E350 with P2 & AMG sports package, 03' BMW 325i

For sure, BMWs are less "reliable." (Proactively replace your radiator, water pump and thermostat every 60K miles or risk your engine.)
Have you owned a BMW?? I'm not sure where did you get that info. about replacing radiator, water pump and thermostat every 60K miles. I've never had that issue on mine nor past cars.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think some clear numbers will help take some of the emotion out of the subject. In general, repair rates are lower than most people expect.

Still not to the minimum with the E-Class, but getting closer.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003, 2005, 2006, and 2007 are now all over half way to the minimum. Definitely getting there, but not there yet.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Go to the MB Service department On a Monday around 3 PM & ask the service advisor how many E class cars are in the shop. There are virtually no '07s, a couple of '06s, some '05s, & a bunch of '03s & '04s. Ask how many of each have been there for a few days or more.

He will be most proud to tell you that there are virtually no '07s in the shop for anything other than a Lube Oil & Filter.

Hit a couple of dealers & do the same thing. (I did). Tell them you have an '08 on order & you want to see how well they have fixed the 211's problems. I t really appears to me that they have finally fixed the W211 E Class.

it could also mean that after about three years, they start becoming quite unreliable...
Old 01-16-2008, 02:53 PM

05 E500
I have had an 05 E500 for a year and only had an issue with alarm going off on its own. So far it has been a very reliable vehicle. I bought it with 22,000 and now it has 43,000 miles. I could not be more happy with the way this vehicle has performed. I hope it stays this way.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the responses, guys.

If we can get enough owners involved in the survey, TrueDelta can provide some actual numbers on repair rates for the E-Class. Closer, but not there yet.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:47 PM

E430 4Matic
For me, reliability goes beyond full-out breakdowns. It's the rattles that pop up out of nowhere, the way rubber trim pieces come loose and plastic frames discolor. It's the way climate control vents get stuck in place or the rear window drops all of a sudden when you're driving on the highway (extremely dangerous) or your radio turns itself on and off and fails to work after one hour. As for quality, it's how trim pieces don't align perfectly or the sunroof shade is not tight enough in its track so that it bounces and rattles when you hit bumps, it's how the paint is just a bit too thin and swirls much to easily. Or how the foglights are never out, but don't always work, especially in wet weather. Or how the shift lever becomes loose in its track. It's the ease with which the factory wheels dent over potholes, which by the way are transmitted far too easily. It's the rain sensing wipers that disagree with the rain, and then swing nonstop in a drizzle. It's the way the xenon lights just don't illuminate well, and allow the car behind you to cast shadows over your path. It's the rust that grows prematurely, and the windshield wiper that just isn't tight enough for the entire blade to fit the contour of the glass. It's the way the rubber radio knob falls apart (essentially melting) and the rubber coating rubs off the steering wheel buttons. It's how the seats are not in sync with the car and "float" separately. It's the fact that you have had to have your car fixed three times for the same problem-refusing to start (not turning over).

That is what quality and reliability are?
Old 02-09-2008, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
why does MB still only offer 4yr/50k rust warranty??? really sad
Old 02-10-2008, 01:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
17 SL550 (Designo Edition), 08 C300, 13 Mini Cooper, 17 Macan GTS, 18 720s
Had a 2006 E350, with 55K miles - no issues and bullet proof in my opinion - traded it in on a 2008 E350...

MB
Old 03-04-2008, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ProV1
why does MB still only offer 4yr/50k rust warranty??? really sad
Good question. Does anyone even have a problem with rust?

Generally rust warranties only cover rust that's all the way through the panel, not just surface rust. This is very rare these days. So you'd think Mercedes could extend the warranty at very little cost to them.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:16 PM

'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
The reliability kerfuffle is stupid.

If you've been installing the same lump of an engine for 50 years, it could possibly be "reliable" but it won't be interesting.
Hmmm. the Supra's inline 6 cylinder engine has its roots going back to the 60's, and the last version was good for 600whp stock AND has world-wide known Toyota reliability. AMG who???

If your car has an engine that gets 0.5 horsepower per cubic inch, it may prove more "reliable" than one that gets 1.0 or greater hp/cu inch, the latter describing most Mercedes engines.
If your car has no electronic features, none will break down.
No car today has no electronic features.

If your car company seldom tries anything new but instead just copies rather than leads, your car (?) may prove more reliable.
That's no excuse for unreliable products.

Is your car ever used as a Taxi?.
Go to Europe - plenty of MB taxis there:

In fact one noted he's seeing less and less MB taxis nowadays due to higher reliability issues of said car....

If you can find a car that compares to a Mercedes, then you can compare "reliability."
That statement says it all.

Nothing much else really compares, does it?
That statement says it all
Old 03-05-2008, 02:04 PM

I've owned BMWs (including M's) and MBs. Frankly, all of them have been quite reliable for me - however comparing the two the BMWs have been slightly more reliable. I have had virtually zero issues with my M-Roadster and M3 except for replacing tires too often.

My W208 has had fuel gauge sensors go bad and MAF sensor go bad. Also, front steering shock absorber. In 86K miles that isn't bad -but is certainly no better than the BMW.

Though I'm not afraid of MB reliability (I'm about to take delivery of an '08 E350 next week) in no way do I believe that MB is superior to BMW, Lexus or Infinity in terms of quality and reliability. I'm buying the '08 E because I got a great deal and like driving the E.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It all depends on whether you focus on relative or absolute numbers.

Other sources only give you relative ratings. As a percentage of the average, many German cars continue to appear unreliable.

Even with my site, some people fixate on the relative difference between models. But I provide the actual repair rates for a reason: they make it clear that no cars these days are "in the shop all the time." Your experience sounds about average for a German car.

Unfortunately, still no result for the E-Class, as too few owners have signed up. But whenever E-Class owners decide they're ready for better reliability info on the car, I'll be here.

Maybe not too much longer. A few years are now within ten cars of the minimum sample size.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We're now just a couple owners short with the 2008, and many other model years are about 2/3 of the way to the minimum. Getting there.

Results for about 120 other model/model year combinations in May.

To help get your model year included:

Old 05-10-2008, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've added the 2008 to the main survey.

The 2003, 2005, 2006, and 2007 are all about 2/3 of the way to the minimum. Getting close.

Help get your year included:

Old 06-07-2008, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Closer, but not there yet. Up to 160 for all years, compared to 218 for the 5-series and 225 for the A6.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now 177 for all years (compared to 233 for the 5 and 236 for the A6).

The 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 are now all close to the minimum sample size.

Help get your year over the top:

Old 07-30-2008, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And now 192. The 2005 is now a single owner short of the minimum, and the 2003, 2006 and 2007 are all within five.

The 2008 is already in the survey, but more participants are needed for it as well.

To get your year into the results:

Old 08-24-2008, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The 2005 has been added to the survey--but it's right at the minimum--while the 2003 is only three owners short and the 2007 is just four.

The latest results were recently posted for many other models--would like to get the E in future sets.

Those results:

Vehicle reliability survey results
Old 09-25-2008, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The next set of results will be in November. It's not clear if any model year of the E-Class will be included--it's going to be close, and a few more participants could make the difference. Some years of the 5-Series and A6 will be in this set.

To help get your year included:

Old 09-25-2008, 09:53 PM

2006 E55 - obsidian black, all options except pano roof - gone but not forgotten
My 06 E55:

At 10k - new steering rack

At 12k - new battery

At 40k - left valve cover gasket leaked, needed replacement; trans bushing replaced at the same time

Lighter does not work

Thank god for warranty!!!

For comparo: My previous car, 1993 Mitsu diamante station wagon at 258k had only a problem with a drivers window switch

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz E-Class reliability - how does it truly compare?