E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Mercedes-Benz E-Class reliability - how does it truly compare?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550
I signed up, but not sure how good your results will be since it didn't ask what model or options. The only problems that I've had are E550 specific (airmatic) and P2 option specific minor problems. If I had a E350 P1, I would have never had it in the shop for anything other than scheduled services in the 45,000 miles currently on my car.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by lovnlife
I signed up, but not sure how good your results will be since it didn't ask what model or options. The only problems that I've had are E550 specific (airmatic) and P2 option specific minor problems. If I had a E350 P1, I would have never had it in the shop for anything other than scheduled services in the 45,000 miles currently on my car.
That's still good information. The airmatic rear springs and compressor failed on mine at 80,000 miles. You can read here $$$$ if it had not been for the 100000 warranty. I have about 6 months left remaining on time and looks like I won't hit the 100000 but probably around 94,000 by the time it expires.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lovnlife
The first time you respond to a survey it will ask about bodystyle and powertrain. I've considered asking about options as well, but that might be asking too much of many people.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:45 PM

1982 300SD
I am in the aftermarket car parts biz and I have been reading and studying reported problems for almost ten years now. I wonder if the samples might be overrepresented by those who are motivated by the anger of having been dealt an "outlier" or troublesome car. In my little VW diesel world the reported problems are overrepresented as compared to those whose cars are relatively trouble free. A lot of the motivation of getting online is to solve a problem or to vent that you are having a problem from what I have seen. It's more rare to hear what is going right even though my gut says there are many more reliable cars out there than you would think. I think it is human nature to vent frustration if you have it and keep peace and joy to yourself, at least in the online world. It seems that this forum is more positive than most I've been to which is nice.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 PM

2009 E350
I'm filling out the surveys for the True Delta website. Every survey has faults and anyone reading results should hopefully be open minded with that thought and also get as much information as possible. I think the data on that website is useful and helpful for me.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dieselgeek: This would be the case with the typical online survey, but our research process is designed to counteract this factor. I can show you many examples of cars where hardly any owners have reported a repair, and where none have had an especially troublesome car. If your hypothesis was correct, all of the models in the survey would appear troublesome, and this is far from the case.

sunnySD: I'm glad to hear you found the results useful.

There's far more I'd like to offer, but in many cases the stats I'd like to provide require larger sample sizes. So the immediate challenge is to get more owners involved.

Car reliability research

Last edited by mkaresh; 10-09-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Sign me up. Our E500 03 has been a solid good performing car. Don't understand why one of the mag's that report to consumers rate it so poorly.
We have had only the heater water valve fail in the first 60,000 miles. Only other items are normal service but brakes tend to wear out at 30,000 miles. Have already replaced front and rears, now it is time for fronts again.

We had the trim plate cover on the ashtray and of course the cup holder issues. Wheel alignment for US is different than from Germany so tire wear was noticed and solved with alignment.

Otherwise the little lady drives it to and from church on Sundays, then to the interstate for cross USA drives.

Great solid car . What's the fuss . vettdvr
Mines has everything broken, mechanically, physically you name it. The vent knobs cracked off, the mirror cover on the visor thingie, the cupholder, the armrest opener, the cigarate lighter, the rear cigarate lighter door stuck, almost everything that was made of plastic in my interior is broken! My airmatic strut dropped, crankshaft sensor failed, ball joints and bushing, brake caliper, A/C makes weird noise and doesn't cool efficiently, my gas consumption is not normal, and many more.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Ecin
Mines has everything broken, mechanically, physically you name it. The vent knobs cracked off, the mirror cover on the visor thingie, the cupholder, the armrest opener, the cigarate lighter, the rear cigarate lighter door stuck, almost everything that was made of plastic in my interior is broken! My airmatic strut dropped, crankshaft sensor failed, ball joints and bushing, brake caliper, A/C makes weird noise and doesn't cool efficiently, my gas consumption is not normal, and many more.
You are correct. I was being nice and not listing all the failures. But just for you to compare notes.

Failures

Lighter
Cracked ash tray cover
Ignition switch
door locks
hot water valve for a/c
ball joints
sbc brake system (towed in)
air springs rear total replacement by pulling entire drive line
arm rest bubbled
memory seats

All of this is on top maintenance of cupping tires and tire replacement every 15,000 miles, 3 sets of brakes, plugs, belt tensioner bearings,fan belts, batteries both and all the other stuff I forgot.

Considering we have driven 80,000 miles and had 9 Failures of which 7 required going back to the dealer is approximately 1 failure every 10,000 miles. This doesn't include when the dealer broke the windshield and had to leave it 3 extra days or when the put the incorrect size tires on the car and it had to go back again. Each dealer trip is 200 miles of driving so for warranty repairs and dealer uh oh's I drove at least 11, 200 mile trips for a total of 2,200 miles of 80,000 for warranty. Given a low ball cost / mile of $.25 this would be over $500 spent to get the warranty work done.

So am I impressed in MB quality. I'll let you answer that one.

Sorry if I bored those that have been following my sterling reliability.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:10 PM

Today my pano roof, wouldn't close, I found a piece of broken plastic in there. WTF!!! I'm so pissed with this FF POS car.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Today my pano roof, wouldn't close, I found a piece of broken plastic in there. WTF!!! I'm so pissed with this FF POS car.
That should not be a problem, just go to the dealer, open your wallet and tell them to help themself if they will repair your roof.

Now lets talk about MB Reliability
Old 10-29-2009, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by vettdvr
That should not be a problem, just go to the dealer, open your wallet and tell them to help themself if they will repair your roof.

Now lets talk about MB Reliability
I'm never buying another one again. I'm a college student, full time and don't work, so I can't afford any repairs. Even when i did work, the amount of damage that this car occurs on it's own is countless, therefore i still wouldn't be able to afford to upkeep this. there's always lexus, gtrs, aston martin, shelbys depending on how much i'll make after school.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
I'm never buying another one again. I'm a college student, full time and don't work, so I can't afford any repairs. Even when i did work, the amount of damage that this car occurs on it's own is countless, therefore i still wouldn't be able to afford to upkeep this. there's always lexus, gtrs, aston martin, shelbys depending on how much i'll make after school.
Your assessment is quite accurate. I am sure you will remember this car for years and make future purchases with reliability as a primary selling point.

About 40 years ago I worked a 40 hr week job night and went to College full time also and didn't have a dime to buy a coke at the end of the day while walking 2 miles to the campus student parking. I bought my brake shoes for my junker (1958 Ford) in the junk yard for $.50 / wheel because I could not afford the $2.00 for new onew. I didn't have money to throw at car repairs that were self inflicted either. I agree with you my 2003 E500 is almost as failure prone as the 1966 Ford my wife owned when we were married while still in school.

I still have the wife she was a keeper, the unreliable cars are gone and the MB E500 is hers. But it will be gone in the next 18 months or so given economy improvement.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Updated results again later this month.

We're going to start providing new stats for the odds of requiring no repairs and the odds of getting a lemon. These require larger sample sizes, so additional participants would be helpful.

For the details, and to sign up:

Car reliability research
Old 12-21-2009, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We have updated results for the E-Class to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 33, better than avearge

2007: 67, about average

2006: 126, worse than average; actual repair rate probably lower, based on other results

2005: 84, about average

Small sample sizes for all but the 2006.

Everyone who has been helping, thank you, once again. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class reliability comparisons
Old 12-28-2009, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
What, is it reality check time again?

Oh, please! Lexus, Infiniti, Cadillac, Audi, Jaguar and very soon Hyundai all make cars that "compare" and some build cars that regularly severely beat Mercs about the head and shoulders in terms of reliability.

I have a 92 LS400 (16 years) and a 06 E320, they are both very good cars to drive, but the LS has been very reliable while the E320 has yet to prove itself in the long run.

By the way, MB Command and MB Nav are both an abomination and are the definition of poor use of technology.

- nopcbs

Originally Posted by lkchris
The reliability kerfuffle is stupid.

If you've been installing the same lump of an engine for 50 years, it could possibly be "reliable" but it won't be interesting.

If your car has an engine that gets 0.5 horsepower per cubic inch, it may prove more "reliable" than one that gets 1.0 or greater hp/cu inch, the latter describing most Mercedes engines.

If your car has no electronic features, none will break down.

If your car company seldom tries anything new but instead just copies rather than leads, your car (?) may prove more reliable.

Is your car ever used as a Taxi?

If you can find a car that compares to a Mercedes, then you can compare "reliability."

For sure, BMWs are less "reliable." (Proactively replace your radiator, water pump and thermostat every 60K miles or risk your engine.)

Porsches may be a bit better than Mercedes.

Nothing much else really compares, does it?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by nopcbs
Oh, please! Lexus, Infiniti, Cadillac, Audi, Jaguar and very soon Hyundai all make cars that "compare" and some build cars that regularly severely beat Mercs about the head and shoulders in terms of reliability.

I have a 92 LS400 (16 years) and a 06 E320, they are both very good cars to drive, but the LS has been very reliable while the E320 has yet to prove itself in the long run.

By the way, MB Command and MB Nav are both an abomination and are the definition of poor use of technology.

- nopcbs
I have to agree with this. My E500 has been a great driver car but anything but Reliable. I would call it a hanger queen. We are considering a new car in the next 18 months. I drove a new E350 and it is a nice car but I have the reliability of a hanger queen experience. So I drove the Jag XF, Lexus GS350, Infinity G37, M35 and Caddy (didn't like at enough to take it off the lot).

So far the Lexus GS350 is on top. I checked and the dealer is telling me oil change every 3500 miles. I told him nuts I won't buy a car that requires that much service. Too much of my time. MB is still in the 12,000+ range. I have for the last 20 years run full synthetic oils and 10,000 miles with never an engine issue. Dealer then told me Lexus was changing freq to 10,000 miles.

The Jag feels big and spartin on the interior. The Infinity feels a bit harsh interior. Ok so I don't buy based on outside but how it drives and feels for me driving. V8 is smooth.

The E350 and GS350 are in my buying book ties. So the next 18 months on reliability will tell the tale on which I buy. GS350 is silky smooth.

Lets see. E500 issues

ignition key, memory seats, door locks, total sbc failure, rear air spring failure, airmatic compressor, blower fan, hot water valve, front air shock seals, transmission leak at switch connector, and throw all this on top of 3 sets of brakes/rotors beginning at 30,000 miles.

So lets consider reliability AS a MINIMUM requirement for me to purchase the next vehicle. Then throw in maintenance freq, dealer service, loaner car,

Ok I expect a lot but I also Pay a lot for a new vehicle.

Now if the reliability on the E500 had been anywhere close to the new corvette I bought in 99 I would not hesitate to buy another MB E series. For the corvette,, sure I would buy another great reliable car.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You can't trust the dealer on maintenance intervals. They'll often claim that the car requires more frequent maintenance than the manufacturer calls for.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by mkaresh
You can't trust the dealer on maintenance intervals. They'll often claim that the car requires more frequent maintenance than the manufacturer calls for.
You are so correct. My Brothers Avalon gets service at 10,000 and my daughter's honda Accord at 10,000. Only the Lexus service/owners manual will give the straight scoop. So I dont' buy in on the 3500 service, but it is fun to watch the dealers/salesman face when I tell him I won't buy a car that requires that much service. I chuckle inside when they think "lose a sale on this one". Then they get to crawfish (Louisiana term for back up really fast). Which is why the Lexus sales guy immediately said, "well Lexus is going to 10,000 mile servicie". Which is what I would expect them to be now.

But it was fun watching while keeping a straight poker face.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:55 PM

2009 E350
Vettdvr, what's your research telling you about reliability of the different models you've looked at? I'm sort of surprised that Lexus' GS is the step child in their line up and that CR doesn't favor it like they do with all the other Lexus models.

I'm guessing Infiniti is the most reliable of the bunch? I hop on the Hyundai Genesis forum once in awhile too and it seems like those users are happy so far. Too early to tell yet in my opinion.

So far, with my 2009 E350 and 5K miles, it's been solid. I know, too few miles still but at least there's no infant mortality and everthing I've been following on this board suggests I'll have many happy and reliable miles ahead of me.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by sunnySD
Vettdvr, what's your research telling you about reliability of the different models you've looked at? I'm sort of surprised that Lexus' GS is the step child in their line up and that CR doesn't favor it like they do with all the other Lexus models.

I'm guessing Infiniti is the most reliable of the bunch? I hop on the Hyundai Genesis forum once in awhile too and it seems like those users are happy so far. Too early to tell yet in my opinion.

So far, with my 2009 E350 and 5K miles, it's been solid. I know, too few miles still but at least there's no infant mortality and everthing I've been following on this board suggests I'll have many happy and reliable miles ahead of me.
Interesting you asked. The GS350 is lower than average on issues than most cars and about in the range of the Infinity. Yesterday I got a wild hair and thought about the Chrysler 300C. This is the V8 luxury flagship for Cry. The reliability on it is checking out about even with the GS350 and E350.

The 300 was a nice car and lots of power with 25mpg. Concerned of course about the Company as a whole but the car was solid, quiet, power, and 25mph. Had all what I was looking for but I won't buy one without driving the 300 C to determine how comfortable the seats are on a long trip.

I use to only buy GM but when they decided to save $$ by having FWD as the primary I switched to Lincolns to stay with RWD. But Lincolns are so dated in RWD and the new ones are FWD I am considering all RWD options on the market in the 300 hp range.

Noticed you drive the E350. How is it? I test drove one a few weeks ago. I am undecided what to buy to replace the E500. I like the car but our reliability has been what I would call a little on the Dark side.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 PM

2009 E350
I really like the E350. Being perfectly honest, it's taken me a bit to warm up to my first MB. At 1-2K miles, I planned to get rid of it. It drives much different than my Accord or IS350. I've become accustomed to the feel of the E350 now and it's my preferred car to drive.

Regarding reliability, I hope it's what I've been reading on this board. 2007 and newer have the early teething bugs worked out. Your posts and others prompted me to get the extended warranty from MB. Now, I'm thinking I'll go back and cancel it to get my $4K back. I've never purchased an extended warranty in my life and have never regretted the decision. Knock on wood for the E350.

I'm actually thinking about getting a 2001-2002 E430 now as a local beater car because of the grown enjoyment of the E350. I've found a good local indy shop and the owner there told me that last model years for the E430 are good. Just don't get a 2003/2004 E class. Sorry to hear about all your problems with your 2003.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by sunnySD
I really like the E350. Being perfectly honest, it's taken me a bit to warm up to my first MB. At 1-2K miles, I planned to get rid of it. It drives much different than my Accord or IS350. I've become accustomed to the feel of the E350 now and it's my preferred car to drive.

Regarding reliability, I hope it's what I've been reading on this board. 2007 and newer have the early teething bugs worked out. Your posts and others prompted me to get the extended warranty from MB. Now, I'm thinking I'll go back and cancel it to get my $4K back. I've never purchased an extended warranty in my life and have never regretted the decision. Knock on wood for the E350.

I'm actually thinking about getting a 2001-2002 E430 now as a local beater car because of the grown enjoyment of the E350. I've found a good local indy shop and the owner there told me that last model years for the E430 are good. Just don't get a 2003/2004 E class. Sorry to hear about all your problems with your 2003.
I don't know if I would cnx the warranty. One small item could exceed the amount you paid.

Best of luck I hope it works out for you.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Information I've seen on extended warranties suggests that you have, at best, a one in three shot at having it pay for itself. Which makes sense, since the price must include their admin costs and some return for taking on the risk.

On the survey, 403 E-Class owners now signed up. A good start, but more remain needed to cover all model years.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research
Old 03-01-2010, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We have updated results for the W211 E-Class to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 35, better than avearge

2007: 73, about average

2006: 107, worse than average

2005: 97, about average

Small sample sizes for the 2005 and 2008.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class reliability comparisons
Old 04-03-2010, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May, with a preview for participants in mid-April.

Car reliability research

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz E-Class reliability - how does it truly compare?