Computer says "F+" Service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Computer says "F+" Service

Hello All,

MY QUESTION(s): What all does F+ service include? What does the "+" mean?

It's time for my first service on my 2003 E500. I am at 55k miles, and the "flexible rating" pops up saying 200 miles until.

I called RBM of Atlanta and asked what all F+ service includes. The guy said it's basically "B" service, but that they would need to hook it up to the computer because it will need more than that. I can understand that, but he really didn't say what all B service included. He mumbled the following:

-Oil and Filter change
-Tire Rotation
-Replace cabin filter
-Inspect undercarriage, throttle body linkage, brake pads, lubrication etc..
-Top off fluids
-$400 for B service, plus whatever the computer pulls up

I could not seem to find the answers doing a search, so figured I would ask the experts here

Thank you for your assistance,

Nick
Old 02-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Read the service sticky of this forum. Second from above. It'll tell you how to get into the FSS and get a readout of the code interpretation and the services it calls for. If not this, your maintenance manual/book might also help you.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:31 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
If not this, your maintenance manual/book might also help you.

Thank you! I will go there next.

After posting, I thought I might get a "RTFM", so thanks for putting it kindly. However, it did not provide much.

Anybody else have experiences with "F" service?

Thanks~
Old 02-21-2007, 02:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by Nickc0844
Thank you! I will go there next.

After posting, I thought I might get a "RTFM", so thanks for putting it kindly. However, it did not provide much.

Anybody else have experiences with "F" service?

Thanks~
Take amdeutsch's advice and check out what FSS tells you so you know what is supposed to be done for this service, and then you won't get any suprises from the dealer. The air filters take a few minutes to replace -- the fuel filter takes much, much longer.

My 03 E320 had "F" service back at ~52Kmi. In addition to what you were told, you'll probably need the air filters replaced as well as the fuel filter. The "+" sign means that the 50% wear brake pad sensor has tripped.

Regards,
paul...
Old 02-21-2007, 02:14 PM

2003 E500
Thank you Paul. I took a break and checked it out:

Services 1,4,7,9,12, and 14 popped up on the first menu. According to the sheet, I should now expect:

-1 Check brake pad thickness. If they need to be replaced, I will go with aftermarket I believe

-4 Replace dust filter

-7 REPLACE SPARK PLUGS???????? It says not until 100,000 miles or 5 years. The car isn't even 4 years old yet??

-9 general check

-12 Engine and filter change

-14 another check

However, upon going to the menu below that (I just forgot the name), it says: US Services 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. So while I have more info, I am a little confused.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Thank you Paul. I took a break and checked it out:

Services 1,4,7,9,12, and 14 popped up on the first menu. According to the sheet, I should now expect:

-1 Check brake pad thickness. If they need to be replaced, I will go with aftermarket I believe

-4 Replace dust filter

-7 REPLACE SPARK PLUGS???????? It says not until 100,000 miles or 5 years. The car isn't even 4 years old yet??

-9 general check

-12 Engine and filter change

-14 another check

However, upon going to the menu below that (I just forgot the name), it says: US Services 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. So while I have more info, I am a little confused.
Its always good to change the engine at 50+k miles.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Its always good to change the engine at 50+k miles.
Actually, back in 2002 MB released a TSB regarding cylinder wear on the aluminum block engines showing cylinder wall scuffing and when to determine whether the block should be replaced or not.

So, maybe nickc0844's typo has some truth to it!

But seriously, it's really strange that his FSS came up with the spark plug service -- I would have expected it to show the fuel filter service (as mine did at that time). I never got the spark plug service showing during my "F" service, although I changed them out anyway to avoid any potential problems at 100Kmi.

Regards,
paul...
Old 02-22-2007, 01:30 PM

2004 E500, 2019 S560
I had a service D done recently. The entry a SA can only do in their "front-end" system is either A or B. The tech then needs to go into the FSS and figure out the other items that needs to be done.

Attached is the cost of what the dealership I go to charges and what a B service contains:
Attached Thumbnails Computer says "F+" Service-scan0002.jpg  

Last edited by SushDawg; 02-22-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:01 AM

2003 E500
What about belts? On my domestic cars, I've typically had to change belts around 60k. I haven't read anything on MB about them yet...
Old 02-23-2007, 01:00 PM

What about belts? On my domestic cars, I've typically had to change belts around 60k. I haven't read anything on MB about them yet...
The only belt on these MB's is the poly-V belt (aka serpentine belt). There's no recommended service interval to change, but it needs to be checked when the service item #14 comes up. You would look for excessive wear, cracks, deterioration, etc.

Regards,
paul...
Old 02-26-2007, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SushDawg
I had a service D done recently. The entry a SA can only do in their "front-end" system is either A or B. The tech then needs to go into the FSS and figure out the other items that needs to be done.

Attached is the cost of what the dealership I go to charges and what a B service contains:
Those prices in the attached document are hefty to say the least! 220 dollars for an SBC brake fluid change, 574 dollars to change a W211 fuel filter! I don't think I want to take my car to a dealer at 60,000 miles.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Wiesmann
Those prices in the attached document are hefty to say the least! 220 dollars for an SBC brake fluid change, 574 dollars to change a W211 fuel filter! I don't think I want to take my car to a dealer at 60,000 miles.
Frank,

Some things to consider:

1) The dealer tech needs to use the Star Diags System to do a brake bleed operation in accordance with the factory procedures -- everytime the dealer hooks up the SDS, you can expect to pay more since they have to recover the costs associated with the SDS and periodic software updates.

2) The fuel filter for the W211 is in the fuel tank and is a big PITA to replace. I did mine and it took about 2.5 hrs. I bought the filter thru a dealer who gives discounts to MBWorld members (filter cost me $100 + another $90 for the special tool to get the caps off). So assuming that the filter list price is $175 - $200, and about 2 hrs labor, this would bring you into the $500 range.

I'm not defending anyone, just giving some rationale why the prices are high.

Regards,
paul...
Old 02-26-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paulv
Frank,

Some things to consider:

1) The dealer tech needs to use the Star Diags System to do a brake bleed operation in accordance with the factory procedures -- everytime the dealer hooks up the SDS, you can expect to pay more since they have to recover the costs associated with the SDS and periodic software updates.

2) The fuel filter for the W211 is in the fuel tank and is a big PITA to replace. I did mine and it took about 2.5 hrs. I bought the filter thru a dealer who gives discounts to MBWorld members (filter cost me $100 + another $90 for the special tool to get the caps off). So assuming that the filter list price is $175 - $200, and about 2 hrs labor, this would bring you into the $500 range.

I'm not defending anyone, just giving some rationale why the prices are high.

Regards,
paul...
Paul,

thanks to you I know how to change the fuel filter cost efficiently. (By the way, it would be great if you could PM me the dealer info so I could get the fuel filter parts). I wasn't trying to bash this particular dealer, it just makes me wonder whether this complicated and expensive to maintain technology (SBC, fuel filter in trunk) is such a good idea for long term owners like us.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Frank Wiesmann
Paul,

thanks to you I know how to change the fuel filter cost efficiently. (By the way, it would be great if you could PM me the dealer info so I could get the fuel filter parts). I wasn't trying to bash this particular dealer, it just makes me wonder whether this complicated and expensive to maintain technology (SBC, fuel filter in trunk) is such a good idea for long term owners like us.

Frank,

check your PM's

Regards,
paul....