E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-10-2015, 12:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models

Old 08-08-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E63 S-AMG
Exclamation

i just did this mod on my friend e63, however it did not stop the flickering. i upgraded the capacitor to the 4700µF 35V 20% Axial-Lead Electrolytic Capacitor

and that worked perfect.

the only thing is i cant seem to figure out which way the capacitor goes:

poistive ~~~> negative
or
Negative~~~~>> to positive

if you install the capacitor backwards the lights will still work but then the capicitor blows and you need to try again with a diffrent one.

also what kind of product should i use to tap the capacitor to the balast wire?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Originally Posted by gstatus929
i just did this mod on my friend e63, however it did not stop the flickering. i upgraded the capacitor to the 4700µF 35V 20% Axial-Lead Electrolytic Capacitor

and that worked perfect.

poistive ~~~> negative
or

if you install the capacitor backwards the lights will still work but then the capicitor blows and you need to try again with a diffrent one.

Take Radioshack capacitor for example.
There is " >>>>> " symbol on the capacitor.
POSITIVE >>>>>> Negative is the Correct way!

Use direct connect w/ electronic tape is the best way, since the capacitor's lead is long enough to do that, or you can use heat-shrink tube to seal them.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230
Guys, I installed the HID kit and everything, but I have a couple of ?'s. First of all, I rode with them on for like 10 minutes with the AC on and when I parked and popped the hood it was really hot. I'm guessing it was hot since I just finished driving it and the AC. Anyway, the ballast and the capacitor were pretty hot too but my guess is they were hot because of the metal surrounding them. Can you guys help me out? I don't want anything to happen. Thanks
Old 08-18-2007, 12:09 AM

Ballast meant to get hot! Just make sure it is properly insulated and keep it away from ABS controller.

In hot summer, inside the hood, EVERYTHING will get hot. But don't worry, HID kit is not rocket science. Just think of it as a super bright halogen bulb w/ attached extension cord.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63; 2010 Range Rover Sport; 2006 4Runner Limited (sold); 2003 CLK55 (sold)

and that worked perfect.

poistive ~~~> negative
or

So you got this to work on the E63 foglights? And do the fogs still turnon when turning?

Is anyone running 3000k HIDs for the fogs? I am very interested in running yellow HIDs in my foglights but want to make sure it works.

I see that No_Clue is in my neck of the woods so perhaps he could help?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:29 AM

It has been more than 20 years since physic 101.

3000k light produce lower freqency wavelength, travel further w/ less heat.
In other word, it can penatrate better than higher frequency wavelength.

I would strongly vote against putting 3000k HID for your normal driving light.
It will not reflect like higher frequency color wavelength. It might be great if you are driving in the rain or fog, but most likely you can NOT even see the "STOP" sign under clear night.

On the other hand, if you using 8000K+ HID, you can spot "STOP" sign's reflective coating (mainly metallic/ white) mile ahead, but most likely can't even see a deer 100 feet ahead of you. ( okay, maybe deer's eyes )
Old 08-27-2007, 09:48 AM

2007 E63; 2010 Range Rover Sport; 2006 4Runner Limited (sold); 2003 CLK55 (sold)
Originally Posted by no_clue
It has been more than 20 years since physic 101.

3000k light produce lower freqency wavelength, travel further w/ less heat.
In other word, it can penatrate better than higher frequency wavelength.

I would strongly vote against putting 3000k HID for your normal driving light.
It will not reflect like higher frequency color wavelength. It might be great if you are driving in the rain or fog, but most likely you can NOT even see the "STOP" sign under clear night.

On the other hand, if you using 8000K+ HID, you can spot "STOP" sign's reflective coating (mainly metallic/ white) mile ahead, but most likely can't even see a deer 100 feet ahead of you. ( okay, maybe deer's eyes )

Thanks No_Clue, I agree and that is why I want to run the 3000 HIDs for the foglights and keep the 4300 for my driving lights.

I am just curious to know of how many have managed to make the HIDs work on the E63 foglights and whether there were any error messages, flickering and if the active turning still worked.

Also any recommendations on where to buy the HID kits? I found one on ebay for $130. Will this work?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:16 PM

Dont' know about AMG though..
Old 09-10-2007, 12:45 AM

2004 E320
hey guys... i'm new around here and have found this thread very very useful. i did the capacitor mod for the hid kit i bought for my 04 e320. but after i run the car and lights for a few min the capacitors get really hot. i don't know if i just have the cap on the wrong way.

does the neg end of the cap connect to the black (ground) or does it connect to red (power)?

right now i have (-) end of cap. connected to power and
(+) end of cap connected to ground.

I just don't want anything to blow up. If anyone could help i'd really really appreciate it.

Last edited by bjferrer; 09-10-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by bjferrer
hey guys... i'm new around here and have found this thread very very useful. i did the capacitor mod for the hid kit i bought for my 04 e320. but after i run the car and lights for a few min the capacitors get really hot. i don't know if i just have the cap on the wrong way.

does the neg end of the cap connect to the black (ground) or does it connect to red (power)?

right now i have (-) end of cap. connected to power and
(+) end of cap connected to ground.

I just don't want anything to blow up. If anyone could help i'd really really appreciate it.

Positive should go w/ power.
Negative should go w/ ground.
BUT!!!! I have no idea where did you get your capacitor. I will ONLY advice capacitor from RadioShack for clear instruction.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:15 PM

2004 E320
it's a radio shack cap. the same one as in the pictures from the earlier thread.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:43 PM

you can read from 10th reply up.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Excellent write-up! We sell our kits with similar capacitors that plug in-line. They definitely help.

-Aaron
Old 09-17-2007, 06:18 PM

e500
Originally Posted by StealthAuto
Excellent write-up! We sell our kits with similar capacitors that plug in-line. They definitely help.

-Aaron

aarons a homo
Old 09-26-2007, 01:10 PM

If anyone is interested we sell the HID fogs, you can pick them up here:
http://www.creativeautoworks.com/sto...h=732_802_2125

Also we have D2SHID replacements, those can be purchased here.
http://www.creativeautoworks.com/sto...oducts_id=4285
Old 09-28-2007, 09:49 AM

C270 CDI 2002 Avantagarde
Great thread..

I have fitted my cheap ebay HID kit today and had lotsof flickering..

So i got the Capacitor like you said and it has solved the flickering....

HOWEVER....

If i start the engine and then turn the lights on they dont come on.. after a few seconds they try and start flashing on and off..

If i turn the engine off.... then turn the light on and start the engine afterwards they work fine! Very wierd...!

I can then turn them on and off at will and they work fine..

So just have to remember to turn the light on first before the engine!

any ideas why?... is it because i have not got the Xenons present setting changed by MB?

UPDATE - if i start off with the lights off and then after a fewmins turn the lights on they dont start and i get the BULB OUT warning on the display!!

Thanks

Dean

Last edited by dward; 09-28-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by dward
Great thread..

HOWEVER....

If i start the engine and then turn the lights on they dont come on.. after a few seconds they try and start flashing on and off..

If i turn the engine off.... then turn the light on and start the engine afterwards they work fine! Very wierd...!

any ideas why?... is it because i have not got the Xenons present setting changed by MB?

UPDATE - if i start off with the lights off and then after a fewmins turn the lights on they dont start and i get the BULB OUT warning on the display!!

Thanks

Dean

Don't know how C-klass work. But do you have capacitor on each side?
In E-klass, you also need to switch off DRL. (it give out less current)
Old 10-11-2007, 08:36 PM

2014 E350 4M
Originally Posted by dward
Great thread..

HOWEVER....

Thanks

Dean

i have the same issue on my e class,
Old 10-19-2007, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class

and that worked perfect.

poistive ~~~> negative
or

I know I'm bring this back from the dead,but I just installed hid's into my fog lights(W209).And didn't get any luck with the smaller capacitor,BUT after trying out the upgraded (4700µF 35V 20% Axial-Lead Electrolytic Capacitor) That did the job.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:20 PM

'03 E500
Thanks for the good info!!!!!

I'm new to the board.. When I started reading the thread I had more questions, but the more I read, you guys answered most of them.

I've got a '03 E500 and I want to upgrade to HID, but have been leery of the HID systems for sale on eBay ond other sites.

I've got a 2001 Chevy Suburban Z71 with a McCollough HID Conversion kit. The 8000K system produced a brilliant blue light that made my truck 'stand out'. I kinda want the same for my E500, but was apprehensive about installing anything.

But after reading your comments, I'm feeling better about purchasing a kit and cracking the hood and 'gettin to it'....

Old 11-11-2007, 11:56 AM

03' E320
This method work great for me. My only problem was the poorly made HID system. The ballast's crapped out on me after a cpl of months. Now i dunno which company to trust. Any recommendations?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by SuperCarver
This method work great for me. My only problem was the poorly made HID system. The ballast's crapped out on me after a cpl of months. Now i dunno which company to trust. Any recommendations?
Hella or Philips
Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 AM

GOOD NEWS!!!!

I just finish install a HID kit and been testing for the past weeks.. This kits does NOT require a capacitor like other kit. Its "plug and play". Only modifcation you would need to do was enlarge the stock bulb hold to fit the HID bulb. I place the HID ballast inside my headlights (there's plenty of room) for a clean oem look. Most important it DOES NOT display the error code or required you to visit the dealership to turn on the HID option (=$$$$)... Oh.. NO FLICKER with engine off and on!!!!.

Here's pictures with only one HID installed on passenger side
HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models-1.jpg

both installed:
HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models-2.jpg

Closer shot of the lights:
HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models-dsc01631.jpg

Finally, shot of my gauge.. look mom... NO ERROR
HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models-dsc01630.jpg

Enjoy.. any questions you can post here or pm me...

Last edited by angeleye328i; 11-20-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
Originally Posted by angeleye328i
GOOD NEWS!!!!

I just finish install a HID kit and been testing for the past weeks.. This kits does NOT require a capacitor like other kit. Its "plug and play". Only modifcation you would need to do was enlarge the stock bulb hold to fit the HID bulb. I place the HID ballast inside my headlights (there's plenty of room) for a clean oem look. Most important it DOES NOT display the error code or required you to visit the dealership to turn on the HID option (=$$$$)... Oh.. NO FLICKER with engine off and on!!!!.

Here's pictures with only one HID installed on passenger side

both installed:

Closer shot of the lights:

Finally, shot of my gauge.. look mom... NO ERROR

Enjoy.. any questions you can post here or pm me...

What kit did you use and where did you get it from?Thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 06:42 PM

2003 e320
mine worked fine for a year and now...

I had HID installed on both fog and head lights and they worked perfectly for over a year. Now that the year is done, the right headlight does not come on at the start of the vehicle 4 out of about 5 times. 1 out of 5 start ups are flawless and I have no problems. Out of the 4 times, once i start driving, the headlight eventually turns on.

Another thing I noticed is my right fog light (only sometimes) starts to flicker.

I have tried different combinations of turning lights on - starting engine and vice versa along with setting the lights on auto. Sucks for me =(

Im going to try the capacitor sometime soon.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models