Teleaid - Analog vs Digital Q&A

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Teleaid - Analog vs Digital Q&A

Will my analog Tele Aid still provide service after January 1, 2008?

No. The unit will function but no longer have a network to support it. Beginning January 1, 2008, Tele Aid will be accessible only through equipment that has the ability to operate on a digital cellular network (i.e. dual-mode equipment).

Most Model Year 2005 and 2006, and all Model Year 2007 Tele Aid-equipped vehicles feature dual-mode (digital/analog) equipment, which will be unaffected by the digital transition.

Why is this upgrade not covered under warranty?

The upgrade is not covered under warranty because the Tele Aid unit is not defective. It works properly with an analog signal, which was still the most prevalent wireless signal available at the time of the vehicle's design. The phase-out of the signal is not an issue that is within the control or the responsibility of Mercedes-Benz.

http://www.mbusa.com/care/client-care/teleaid.do

MBUSA bulletins:
P-I-82.95/536 MY03-04 211.026/065/070/082/083 and MY05 211.026 (e320 CDI)
P-I-82.95/520 MY03-04 211.265/282/283

Digital Tele Aid Control module part # BQ4820124
Installation requires Star Diagnosis to activate inclusive of version coding the Electronic Ignition System (EIS) and Central Gateway.

IMO the upgrade should be covered, in or out of warranty, if the owner has a paid Tele Aid subscription term that continues past January 2008. The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled in November 2002 that wireless carriers would no longer be required to support the analog wireless network as of January 2008. Although the MBUSA statement analog signal was the most prevalent wireless signal available at the time of the vehicle's design is true, MBUSA had to be aware that the unit would no longer have a network to support it come January 2008. On the basis that the analog control module will become defective January 2008, owners should be entitled to a free modified digital control module upgrade. It is the only fair solution since paid-for subscription services (i.e.: emergency aid, Roadside Assistance, Remote Door Unlock, Anti-Theft Alarm Notification, Stolen Vehicle Recovery, etc.) will be denied.

If you are a MY03-04 (05 CDI) Tele Aid subscriber whose subscription continues past January 2008 and would like to request a free digital upgrade with the option to choose lifetime subscription forward your email address by PM and I will send MBUSA contact information. Understand this is not a guarantee success will depend on the number of viable requests received by the responsible person within the three-month window. So spread the word.

In 2002, the FCC announced the start of a five-year "sunset period," after which time cellular providers would no longer be required to provide or support mobile phone services on analog networks. According to the class action complaint, the Tele Aid wireless carrier notified Mercedes-Benz that it would cease to provide service to the Tele Aid units after December 2007. Mercedes-Benz nonetheless continued to install analog-only Tele Aid systems in their vehicles and to market these systems to consumers without adequately informing them of the systems’ limited lifespan.

In late 2006, , Mercedes-Benz belatedly told its customers that the Tele Aid systems installed in their vehicles would no longer work after December 2007. Mercedes-Benz told the customers that they would need to pay approximately $1,000 for an “upgrade” if they wanted to continue receiving Tele Aid’s safety services.

On April 27, 2009, the Honorable Dickinson R. Debevoise of the District of New Jersey issued an order granting plaintiffs' motion for class certification in the In re Mercedes-Benz Tele Aid Contract Litigation.

The class is defined as consumers who purchased or leased a Mercedes-Benz vehicle equipped with an analog-only Tele Aid system after August 8, 2002, and either (1) subscribed to the Tele Aid service until they were informed that such service would be discontinued at the end of 2007; or (2) purchased an upgrade to digital equipment.

http://www.girardgibbs.com/teleaid.asp
http://www.girardgibbs.com/teleaidorder.pdf
The following users liked this post:
SK7 (02-19-2018)