E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Clunk noise when Trunk is opening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Porsche 997 Black Sport Exhaust, '06 Mercedes E350 4MATIC Iridium Silver Apper+Prem Package
Clunk noise when Trunk is opening

Hello all,

I am wondering if the noise from trunk I am experiencing with my E350 is normal or not.

Several months ago, there was something wrong with Electronic trunk closer which made the trunk open insanely fast. My wife almost got hit by trunk at the very first time and it was really scary. I have it fixed at the local dealership. According to them, they replaced trunk lid control module(211-870-30-26) and synchronized it.

When I brought my car home, I found new problem. Now, the trunk makes clunk noise when it reaches full open position. Strange thing is that this noise is really loud when I open the trunk very first time of the day, but it gets a little bit quieter and quieter and finally disappears. And of course, it comes back next day.

The local dealership took it a part many times(3 times), but couldn't find what's making that noise. Now they kind of gave up on this and told me that "We can't find anything wrong. I don't know what to tell you." Does anybody have similar noise or is this really normal? Actually, I am more concerned with trunk going bad again rather than the noise.

Hope to hear your expert opinions!
Old 11-20-2007, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Does it make the sound when the car is running or off? Or does it only make it when its running.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:56 AM

'06 Porsche 997 Black Sport Exhaust, '06 Mercedes E350 4MATIC Iridium Silver Apper+Prem Package
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
Does it make the sound when the car is running or off? Or does it only make it when its running.
I usually tried it when the car is off. I am not sure if I have ever open the trunk to check the noise when the car is running. I can try tomorrow morning if it makes any difference when the car is running.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Heejin
The local dealership took it a part many times(3 times), but couldn't find what's making that noise. Now they kind of gave up on this and told me that "We can't find anything wrong. I don't know what to tell you."

Have them compare your vehicle to another vehicle with trunk closer feature. I have this feature and it does not have a clunking noise.

In addition, suggest they inspect the surface of the trunk lid hinge stops for wear (located under the rear hat shelf) and replace if necessary. Although their function is to stop the trunk lid from springing back down they could have been damaged with the trunk repeatedly opening so quickly before the module was replaced.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:45 PM

It still makes noise when the car is running.

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Have them compare your vehicle to another vehicle with trunk closer feature. I have this feature and it does not have a clunking noise.

In addition, suggest they inspect the surface of the trunk lid hinge stops for wear (located under the rear hat shelf) and replace if necessary. Although their function is to stop the trunk lid from springing back down they could have been damaged with the trunk repeatedly opening so quickly before the module was replaced.
They know that it's different from other cars since we checked other vehicle together. However, they just don't know why my car is making that noise.

I will ask them to check "trunk lid hinge stops". Thanks for your help.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:49 PM

I have escalated this issue to Service Manager at the local dealership since it's getting nowhere. I hope he could resolve this problem.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Originally Posted by Heejin
I have escalated this issue to Service Manager at the local dealership since it's getting nowhere. I hope he could resolve this problem.
In my opinion be agressive and a pain to them until they can figure out what the problem is and I'm sure they can fix it.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:23 PM

'13 E550 W4
Is it possible that the trunk lid is opening so fast and hard that when it gets to the top it is actually shaking the car and bouncing the rear seat headrests inside the vehicle which then make a "thunk" sound as they come back down to rest...??
Old 11-20-2007, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Reason I ask is I have a thunking sound from the trunk area also but its only when the car is running and can also be heard inside of the cabin and while standing on the right side of the car.. I have had it in 3 times so far and it has yet to been fixed.. Every time the tech comes out and says "I know exactly what it is" but it never goes away.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:53 AM

Reason I ask is I have a thunking sound from the trunk area also but its only when the car is running and can also be heard inside of the cabin and while standing on the right side of the car.. I have had it in 3 times so far and it has yet to been fixed.. Every time the tech comes out and says "I know exactly what it is" but it never goes away.
Guess what! "I know exactly what it is" That's exactly what technician told me when brought my car in. It doesn't look like they have a clue on this issue