E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-09-2015, 04:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Replaced Brake pads - Brake warning light continues

Old 12-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black 2003 E320, 2001 BMW M Roadster
Replaced Brake pads - Brake warning light continues

I did a search and did not find an answer. I was getting a warning "Brakes - visit workshop" - something along those lines. I checked the brake pads and they were thin in the front. I changed the brake pads all around and used new sensor wires. Now, every few days, I continue to get the brake workshop warning. Is there a way to reset the FSS to remove the brake warning? I've been in the FSS and navigated the service menu. I would prefer not to take it into the dealer. Any and all help appreciated.

Last edited by willscam; 12-24-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Recheck the work..sounds like a sensor is touching
Old 12-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Almost a Member!

That's good advice. You thinks it's probably one of the sensor wires and not the FSS then. Won't be too much work to pop the wheels off and take a look. I'll jiggle the wires a bit.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI W211
Brake warning VISIT WORKSHOP

I had this propblem also.
The car went back to the workshop three times.. Finaly it was a faulty brake light switch that controls the rear brake warning lights.

Les Chesterfield U.K.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
I went through the same thing. I pulled the wheels and checked the sensors as you plan. I had the + in the service center display. It did go away when I changed oil and followed the manual for updating oil change. I think the FSS brake system will reset and delete the + when you do a update in the FSS. However if you have some other issue and are getting the RED warning it could be the SBC pump failure. About 5000 miles after doing the pads our SBC pump failed and gave the warning SBC complete brakes system failure stop turn ignition off. If you have this warning you might have failed the SBC system which is NOT a function of changing the brake pads. It is warrantied by MB for 10 years if it has failed. You might consider going to MB for check out if you don't find a sensor issue. Be sure to check front and rear sensors even if you only did one. It is possible that the other pads might be in need of replacement also.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
If you have worn into the sensor, it will display "brake WEAR- visit workshop"

something else is wrong, probably stop lamp switch...
Old 12-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks everyone. I'm not getting a red light SBC warning - just the visit workshop warning. I'm going to double check the brake pad sensors this weekend, if it's not that then I suspect it's the brake light switch. Is there an easy way to check the brake light switch (for instance, will my rear brake lights not come on if the switch is faulty)? I've got a few thousand mile before my next scheduled oil change, though I suppose I could change the oil early and reset the FSS.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:53 AM

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
S500 W223 2021

Do you have this message???

Also advise which model is ur car?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Replace the stop lamp switch already!!!!

remove three T25 torx on the left underdash panel, pull it down a little, shine a flash light in there so you can see the switch, reach your hand in and squeeze the lock lever and rotate it, disconnect electrical connect and slap in the new in the reverse order.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:49 AM

Mercedes-Benz E320 Aventgarde year 2000, Diesel
Seconded

I totally agree. Replace the stop lamp switch, and get it over with.

This is a common and known defect, and will cost you 9£ to replace. Theres no need to go into lenghty diagnostics about this one

Yours, Rumpel
Old 01-12-2013, 05:17 AM

clk 320
ihave this light on

i have this light on how do i reset it please ihave changed the fluid
Originally Posted by Tariq

Do you have this message???

Also advise which model is ur car?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
Did you have this message before you changed the fluid also?

Originally Posted by msavill
i have this light on how do i reset it please ihave changed the fluid
I am unsure what the message looks like for low brake fluid.

I have not heard of anyone associating the message you have seen with low brake fluid and I am dubious that was the problem (if the message was there before you changed the fluid.)

You have asked how to get rid of the message. I suggest two things: (1) consider other causes, such as the brake light switch (2) get to a dealer and have them check it and reset it.

If you have an SBC brake system, it is rather difficult to fully bleed & flush it without the appropriate computer software/system.

Again, did the message appear before or after you changed the fluid?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W209 CLK55 AMG Kompressor, ATV BRP 800 CAN-AM
I Had the same problem in my W209 CLK55,I Changed the rear+front pads , The rear+front sensor,still had the visit work shop wear brake...Then i changed the oil brake still had the problem...
At that time,i got angry and its really annoying each time i start the car the fault comes up,and when i off the car i have to press the resest...
At the end, i took it to one guy,he told me leave it and go...1 hours later he called me,i came and start the car so the msg went...
He told me,last time i changed the brakes,they didnt put well the sensor wire in his place,so it feel down and touched the tire while the car is moving so he crashed it,so the warning was coming out because of that..
He fixed where the wire was crashed and its all good now...I Finally can drive my car without that ****ing fault