SRS and Teleaid Malfunction in 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 02:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Unhappy SRS and Teleaid Malfunction in 2 weeks

I bought my new E320 two weeks ago. Already the SRS and Teleaid have malfunctioned. Both at the same time. Anyone having this problem. I am going to the local dealer on Tues to have this checked out.

I only have about 600 miles on the car. I cannot believe this crap on a car over $50K. I have to say that this would never happen in a Lexus. You can only expect this $h!tty quality from non-Japanese brands. Regardless, I would have still bought the new E class over any other car - goes to show you that sometimes beauty still wins over quality (atleast minor bugs).
Old 11-16-2002, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
i have the same prob, and my dealer is fixing it on tuesday, they need to replace the module, tell them resseting it wont do anything
Old 11-16-2002, 03:23 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Originally posted by bmms8
i have the same prob, and my dealer is fixing it on tuesday, they need to replace the module, tell them resseting it wont do anything
Thanks bmms8. I will tell them that. I have been perusing the message boards and it seems that a lot of people are having the same problem. I hope MB will issue a recall notice for this "module".
Old 11-16-2002, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
yea hopefully
Old 11-16-2002, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
me too, have had my E500 for about a month and tele aid has not worked since day one. Interestingly, I have only gotten one (briefly) malfunction notification, but it just doesn't work. Also, the radio does not mute when there is an incoming call. The funniest part is that I brought the car in for this a few weeks ago, and got a call from my service advisor telling me the car was fixed and I could come get it. Well, I get in the car and start driving home hit the info button and nothing! Get home, call my cell number and the radio does not mute. I call my advisor and asked him if anyone really ever looked at my car. I'm bringing it in monday and they said it may take 2-3 days. sounds like there is some kind of gateway that needs to be replaced.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:55 AM

2004 E 4matic StationWagon
Read "Interesting Development"

Ash..., Before you take your car in, you should read my tale of woe under the rubric "Interesting Development." In short, 10 days in the shop to fix the damn module and the car was filthy when I got it back.

Old 11-17-2002, 09:31 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
Thumbs up the bright side

Things can be better: I got the same SRS/Tele-Aid warning, went to the dealer immediately, the part came overnight and was installed the next day, with no further problems, and they gave me a C Class as an overnight loaner. I expect some issues with a brand new model, and the dealer responded appropriately, however KShortill had the opposite result from his dealer only a couple hours away from mine.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:58 AM
Almost a Member!

I initlally got that warning the second day after I got the car but it disappeared and never came back again. I thought it had something to do with registering for Teleaid. Anyway, do I need to still show the car to the dealer?
Old 11-17-2002, 11:18 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
If you're no longer getting a malfunction display, you're fine. 'Probably just a computer boot conflict.

Mine persisted through an off/key removal/on cycle of the car's ignition, which is probably always a good check before taking something in for a warning light or message.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
zandorf, it would go away only after you registered, so if you did register and it went away, then there was or is no problem
Old 11-17-2002, 12:29 PM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
I had the SRS light come on once and go off after restart. No subsequent problems. Our service tech told me that this is not a safety system malfunction but an indicator malfunction and that if it persists to bring it in and they will take care of it. When I first bring it in (hopefully for the wheel and/or phone install), I am going to have them complete all service bulletin items.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:46 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Re: the bright side

Originally posted by jim256
Things can be better: I got the same SRS/Tele-Aid warning, went to the dealer immediately, the part came overnight and was installed the next day, with no further problems, and they gave me a C Class as an overnight loaner. I expect some issues with a brand new model, and the dealer responded appropriately, however KShortill had the opposite result from his dealer only a couple hours away from mine.
Nice to know that someone is getting responsive service with regards to this problem. Most posts that I have read seem to indicate that the dealer does not have the part or that it takes too long to fix this problem. On the down side, jim256, I cannot believe they gave you a C-Class as a loaner.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:57 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Re: Read "Interesting Development"

Originally posted by KShortill
Ash..., Before you take your car in, you should read my tale of woe under the rubric "Interesting Development." In short, 10 days in the shop to fix the damn module and the car was filthy when I got it back.

Thanks, KS. I read that thread and others too. I am amazed at the amount of people with this problem. I am surprised that they have not issued a recall notice on this as yet. I would have expected MBUSA to mail me something at home already asking me to come in for a replacement. I guess I ask too much for a car that costs over $50K.

When I talked to the service rep at the local dealer, he did not seem to know about this problem. Infact, he first asked me to contact Tele-aid. I was like.... WHAT ARE YOU NUTS - THE DAMN DISPLAY ASKS ME TO CONTACT THE WORKSHOP - AREN'T YOU THE WORKSHOP!!!! So, then he said - come over and he would check it out.

BTW, KS, did you get a nice loaner for the 10 days that you were without your car? If this guy asks me to leave the car there for some time, they better give me a 2003 E as a loaner. I shelled out a lot of money for this car because of its size/comfort/safety/beauty/ride/handling etc... so I better not get a C-Class or even an older E.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:55 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
loaners

Personally, as long as the loaner is clean, has A/C and runs well, I could not care less what it is. The dealer also has a Dodge store, and a Stratus is fine with me. I was more than pleased with a C Class, especially since I just dropped in unexpectedly with a warning light problem when I happened to be near their town.

They treat me well, recognize that I have to make a 100 mile trip to get there, get me in and out quickly for routine service, and give me a free loaner--has been a Stratus twice before for earlier cars--when needed. The guy is in business to provide a service, but I know he also has to make a profit while doing it if he plans to stay successful. They have been a dealer since 1926, and it obviously has worked for them. One day in a Stratus makes me appreciate my MB a little more, but I sure don't expect anybody to keep a fleet of equivalent models just in case I need one overnight. I bought a car from them, not a lifestyle.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:04 AM

2004 E 4matic StationWagon
No Loaner til Day 9

I did not have a loaner until day 9 of my ordeal. On day 9, in anticipation of having to spend a second weekend without a car, my service rep called to offer me a loaner, which I accepted.

The loaner was a 2002 C class that was unbelievable battered for having only 8000 miles on it, and the "malfunction" light went on the very next morning on my way to work. It kinda makes me think either I'm cursed or the dealership is falling apart. Rationally, I think it's the latter.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:58 PM

2003 MB E500
Thankfully my tele aid has worked fine with no error messages. I did wait 4-5 days to register though. Don't know if that made any difference
Old 11-20-2002, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
rays, e-mail me your avatar, or take a new one, ill resize it if u want
Old 11-20-2002, 06:17 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by bmms8
rays, e-mail me your avatar, or take a new one, ill resize it if u want
Thanks. I'll send it to you tomorrow. I tried to make it larger but this was the only size I could get to post
Old 11-20-2002, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
oo, i see, my e-mail is bmms8@aol.com
Old 11-24-2002, 04:04 PM

2003 E320 / 2001 ML320
Smile New 2003

I had my new 2003 E320 serviced under warranty this week by Fletcher Jones Mercedes in California. It has 1600 miles on the speedometer and I had a problem with the SRS system in which they ordered a new GATEWAY (SRS computer) and replaced for it for me. While working on the car they also updated the SOS system, even though I had no problems and replaced the motor mounts to quiet the engine a bit. I am finally happy in driving my new car. Fletcher Jone went beyond the call of duty in keeping me happy.

Udo Bruehl
Southern California
Old 11-24-2002, 10:40 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Re: New 2003

Originally posted by ubruhl
I had my new 2003 E320 serviced under warranty this week by Fletcher Jones Mercedes in California. It has 1600 miles on the speedometer and I had a problem with the SRS system in which they ordered a new GATEWAY (SRS computer) and replaced for it for me. While working on the car they also updated the SOS system, even though I had no problems and replaced the motor mounts to quiet the engine a bit. I am finally happy in driving my new car. Fletcher Jone went beyond the call of duty in keeping me happy.

Udo Bruehl
Southern California
Hey Udo,

Can you scan your work order (remove the personal stuff) and post it online so that others, including me, can use it at our dealerships.

Thanks.,
Old 11-25-2002, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Angry Me too

With 840 miles on the odometer, the dreaded dual malfunction warnings (tele-aid and SRS) appeared. Two on/off, key out, key in cycles did not rid me of these beasts.

I will be interested to see how my dealership, MB of Laguna Niguel, handles it.

EDJ
Old 11-26-2002, 01:34 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Re: Me too

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe
With 840 miles on the odometer, the dreaded dual malfunction warnings (tele-aid and SRS) appeared. Two on/off, key out, key in cycles did not rid me of these beasts.

I will be interested to see how my dealership, MB of Laguna Niguel, handles it.

EDJ
EDJ... Be ready to wait a long time. Some people have had this fixed in a day and for others it has taken 10 days. Myself - I gave my car in on Fri morning and am still waiting. Not sure when they will get it done.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Weird

the malfunction notices disappeared overnight, and did not reappear during my 30+ mile commute to work this morning.

However, a rattle on the passenger side somewhere of the passenger compartment has developed. All still under 1000 miles. German engineering, one of a kind. For this I gave up my Toyota?

On another issue, the girls at the new Tustin starbucks (redhill/5) filled my coffee cup too high and it splashed while being held in that really nice, well-thought out and well designed karate-kid crane move flip out cup holder.

Niiiiice touch for a 60K plus car, don'tcha think?

EDJ
Old 11-26-2002, 12:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Re: Weird

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe
the malfunction notices disappeared overnight, and did not reappear during my 30+ mile commute to work this morning.

However, a rattle on the passenger side somewhere of the passenger compartment has developed. All still under 1000 miles. German engineering, one of a kind. For this I gave up my Toyota?

On another issue, the girls at the new Tustin starbucks (redhill/5) filled my coffee cup too high and it splashed while being held in that really nice, well-thought out and well designed karate-kid crane move flip out cup holder.

Niiiiice touch for a 60K plus car, don'tcha think?

EDJ
EDJ! you should have been more careful.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: SRS and Teleaid Malfunction in 2 weeks