E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-10-2015, 12:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

"Brake - Visit Workshop" message = stop light switch = $10 part / 10 minute Easy DIY

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350 4Matic
Codes 6210, 6230 and 6240

Hello all! Hoping someone might be able to help with my issue. I have a 'ESP Malfunction: Visit Workshop' message on display. Went to local mechanic and checked it out. Got error codes 6210, 6230 and 6240. He told me ESP has something to do with the braking system.
Also everyday as I'm moving the car for the first time, my brakes squeak. Only does it for the first few times I depress the brakes as I'm moving the car. Main concern is finding out exactly what these codes mean.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Dtone99
Hello all! Hoping someone might be able to help with my issue. I have a 'ESP Malfunction: Visit Workshop' message on display. Went to local mechanic and checked it out. Got error codes 6210, 6230 and 6240. He told me ESP has something to do with the braking system.
Also everyday as I'm moving the car for the first time, my brakes squeak. Only does it for the first few times I depress the brakes as I'm moving the car. Main concern is finding out exactly what these codes mean.
by googling them you'll find out exactly what they mean. Good mechanics print out the error messages for your records.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:30 PM

2006 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Mackhack
by googling them you'll find out exactly what they mean. Good mechanics print out the error messages for your records.
Actually they did. Said I needed to replaced my whole braking system. Pads, rotors, fluids, lines etc.. First search result on google actually brings me to guess who--MBWorld. Need to know if anyone did something other than clear the error message.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Since they did, why don't you let us have those messages?
Lot of codes are model-specific and not having your car hooked up to SD, we can only guess.
6210 search on the net shows that code does not exist on the first hit.
The following users liked this post:
Mackhack (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 09:13 PM
Banned

Actually they did. Said I needed to replaced my whole braking system. Pads, rotors, fluids, lines etc.. First search result on google actually brings me to guess who--MBWorld. Need to know if anyone did something other than clear the error message.
He must have used an universal OBD HANDHELD SCANNER or else because these error messages are nonsense as you can see. I'm not blaming you for not knowing. So don't take it personal. MB has their own codes (couple thousand to be precise) with very descriptive explanations about the problem.

Go to MB or somewhere with Star Diagnosis. If you're in SoCal you can contact me and I'll read them out and hand you printouts.

Our brake system has many components with lots of control units and all are involved. Get a second opinion before he repairs your car for as much money as another used car. Sounds like it to me.

Squeaky brakes could mean the calipers are not fully opening, could mean a rotor has an imperfection, worn out pads and/or rotor (metal on metal). The inner pads are often worn down more than the outer ones.

Last edited by Mackhack; 09-27-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
You need to find another mechanic. It's probably the pump which is a well known failure item on an SBC equipped car.

Here's a few other reference threads:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...stem-ever.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...rst-brake.html

There was a 10 year warranty on the pump at one point, but a 2006 and this time of the year, it's probably over by now. They go by the in service date of the car so unless the car sat on the lot for a while, the 10 years is probably up by now.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:32 PM
Banned

If he got the white or red message in his cluster interface we can assume it's the SBC unit. But even then it could mean it's the pump reservoir only. Many still get that replaced at goodwill if there is a capable service advisor knowing the ins and outs of how to word the goodwill request. Other things would be where was the car serviced, within the service intervals and the like.

The "I hate the SBC" thread is 100% inaccurate. They talk about 30k brake pedal depressings. The common internet knowledge is 300k. That's incorrect as well. It has nothing to do with how many times you depress the brake pedal. Because if you use Distronic or SBC-S/-H nobody uses the brake pedal. The car brakes by itself. Every 5 pump launches the counter goes up by 1. My E320 has over 500k, my E55 over 630k and im still driving around with the first SBC units.

Last edited by Mackhack; 09-27-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:10 PM

2006 E350 4Matic
Well, I didn't want to go to the stealership to get it diagnosed, but it looks like I might have to. My mechanic used the MaxiDAS Alldata scanner tool. I might have been skeptical if I didn't read the code and fix on the computer myself. I don't know anyone with SD and unfortunately I'm pretty far away from SoCal. I'm in NY. 6230 is the search, but that's irrelevant. Mackhack, you're right, I really don't know which is why I thought I would come here before I went to the stealership. Thanks for all the input.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Bare in mind you are talking about advanced technology.
Would you take your android phone to guy who is expert in fixing dial-mechanism?
This is what is happening with car mechanics.
When cars mechanically are becoming bulletproof (well, balance shafts are exception to prove the rule), not too many mechanics can catch up in technology.
My late friend was indy in Los Angeles area and at least once a year he was traveling hundreds of miles for another symposium that would update him on new programs.
As indy he was dealing with cars past the warranty period and yes, he had college degree.
Bottom line, I am skilled in mechanics, yet I look at some car programs with big "WHAAAATTT ?" in mind. I have good memory, but I recall only 3 indy people on whole West Coast who have knowledge and tools to do what Mac can.
Dealer can send his people for training to Germany and they have whole World support, making them on some occasions the only source that can deal with new technology.
Yet reports that after 3 months dealer can't figure out what is wrong are not that rare.
The following users liked this post:
Mackhack (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:25 PM
Banned

Well, I didn't want to go to the stealership to get it diagnosed, but it looks like I might have to. My mechanic used the MaxiDAS Alldata scanner tool. I might have been skeptical if I didn't read the code and fix on the computer myself. I don't know anyone with SD and unfortunately I'm pretty far away from SoCal. I'm in NY. 6230 is the search, but that's irrelevant. Mackhack, you're right, I really don't know which is why I thought I would come here before I went to the stealership. Thanks for all the input.
No problem. We try to help
Old 09-28-2016, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
I will throw my two cents in which is about all it is worth.

I agree with all above that you should take it to the dealer and have them read codes and provide you with a print out. With good codes, the guys here can help you much better.

below is the Extended Warranty on SBC. As there are only three months left in 2016, the chances of your car being covered is not great, but it is still worth checking. The warranty covers only a few very specific codes as well. I would take the doc to the dealer or at least inquire about it, although I suspect the dealer gets paid from MB on all warranty issues so they love doing warranty work and will look to see if you are covered. If you want a pdf version, PM me an email address, and I will send it.

Finally, regarding ESP issues. Just a long shot here, but next time you start the car, turn the steering wheel lock to lock (full left & full right) a couple of times. See if this clears ESP. Like I said, long shot, but costs nothing.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
A reputable Mercedes independent mechanic that is up to date on Mercedes software would be a better source instead of your current mech. You may find one at the following site:
http://www.benzshops.com/?gclid=Cj0K...U6gaArel8P8HAQ
Old 09-28-2016, 10:54 AM
Banned

I just remember one more thing: ESP could also be an issue if the wheel sensor(s) are worn out. Or after the main battery was disconnected and the tech didn't move the steering wheel all the way to the left then right.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I used an X431 Launch EasyDiag Plus ($48 on eBay) to pull codes on mine. When I got an ESP inoperative message, mine was the steering angle sensor. But the code for that was a 9334, steering angle sensor is defective. Not sure what the codes are for the wheel sensors. When they've gone bad for other people, the wires leading to the sensor were bad, you should take the wheels off and have the wires to all wheels checked. Also when I scanned my other car, there were lots of old codes that were never cleared. Usually when it's brakes it's some other message about brakes being inoperative. When doing a quicktest, it takes several minutes to scan the system and it tells you the fault code for each subsystem so just getting a print out of the codes without knowing which subsystem it's referring to might not be that helpful.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Banned

Well if you get the quick test print out from Star Diagnosis it lists each control unit with its corresponding stored codes incl. the descriptions.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:45 PM

2006 E350 4Matic
So I brought it to another mech who specializes in Benzes so I thought I would get a better read. He used a tool called CRP129 and the input the code in MB software. Told me it was my lateral acceleration sensor. I was like the readings from these two mechs was too far off. That was on friday. I took it to the dealer on Sat. SBC pump, Steering angle sensor and intake manifold. What made me want to cry... warranty expired in April. What made me want to cry even more... the code has been on long before that. Here's a secret, I know someone at the stealership and I could get my diagnosis for free at the very least. The problem is they are at a great distance away from me. That's why I waste my time looking for closer help. The guy that looked at my car the first time is very good and the only one that looked at my older cars, but his reader is unreliable when it comes to the Benzo. I replaced the steering angle sensor.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:23 AM

2006 E350
I was directed to this thread as I am working on a 2006 (12/05 build) E350 wagon with inoperable cruise control. The 'ESP Malfunction: Visit Workshop' message is displayed in the instrument cluster. The following codes will not clear:
4CF1 Component B24/15 Rotary Speed & Lateral Acceleration Sensor (Yaw sensor)
9003 Airbag Low Voltage

I have replaced the brake switch with no changes.

Suggestions for next step?

Last edited by DPDISXR4Ti; 11-12-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:34 AM
Banned

Replaced the wrong part. Star Diagnosis told you what is wrong. Why did you translate the yaw sensor into the brake switch? If you need help with the sensor let me know.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:57 AM

2006 E350
Replaced the wrong part. Star Diagnosis told you what is wrong. Why did you translate the yaw sensor into the brake switch? If you need help with the sensor let me know.
On the Benzworld forum a mechanic indicated that he had experienced instances where replacing the brake switch fixed this exact problem. Given that the part was cheap and easy to fix (and a failure-prone part regardless), I agreed it was worth a shot.

At this point you would suggest replacing the Yaw sensor rather than the Steering Angle sensor? It's a similar scenario to what I had before - the Yaw sensor is a cheap and easy part to replace, unlike the Steering Angle sensor.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Banned

That's what i would do. Again why deviate from the actual error message? If your SD tells you the right brake light is out, do you go ahead and replace the headlights instead?

And about the Benzworld post. Any proof that he really did what he said or even had the problem? I doubt it because it simply makes no sense (switch vs. sensor).
Old 11-12-2016, 01:25 PM

2006 E350
That's what i would do. Again why deviate from the actual error message? If your SD tells you the right brake light is out, do you go ahead and replace the headlights instead?

And about the Benzworld post. Any proof that he really did what he said or even had the problem? I doubt it because it simply makes no sense (switch vs. sensor).
No proof, but I did question the suggestion and he seemed to speak from a position of knowledge.

This is a wagon, so the yaw sensor is located in the spare tire well area, yes?
Old 11-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Banned

VIN for more pinpoint help needed.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:53 PM

2006 E350
VIN for more pinpoint help needed.
WDBUH87J36X200828
Old 11-12-2016, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti
No proof, but I did question the suggestion and he seemed to speak from a position of knowledge.

This is a wagon, so the yaw sensor is located in the spare tire well area, yes?
No. That sensor is located at the cross bar under the passenger seat (on both W211/S211).

Was "4CF1 Component B24/15 Rotary Speed & Lateral Acceleration Sensor (Yaw sensor)" this the exact error message because Star Diagnosis doesn't have that error in the list. Just checked.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:41 PM

2006 E350
Was "4CF1 Component B24/15 Rotary Speed & Lateral Acceleration Sensor (Yaw sensor)" this the exact error message because Star Diagnosis doesn't have that error in the list. Just checked.
That error was generated from the ESP menu option on my Launch Creader VII+. I'm pretty sure I copied it exactly as generated.

Thanks for the location of the sensor. For clarity, are you talking front seat passenger? I know on the earlier cars it's located under the rear seat driver side.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: "Brake - Visit Workshop" message = stop light switch = $10 part / 10 minute Easy DIY