E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-15-2015, 01:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Third Brake Light Unit (LED) Removal and Replacement

Old 06-02-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-270 Avantgarde
Third Brake Light Unit (LED) Removal and Replacement

A basic guide on replacing the third LED brake light which is found on the boot/trunk lid.

The new part:

Part no: # A2118201256
Cost: £71.80 inc VAT (UK)

Third Brake Light Unit (LED) Removal and Replacement-partno.jpg

If you look at the third brake light unit, you'll notice it comes in two parts.

1. A black housing which has the PCB and the LEDs itself. This has two sliding black tabs which help it hook onto the red plastic bit. This is refered throughout the guide as black housing.

2. The outer red plastic bit (the visible part of the unit from outside the car). On the underside, it has grey plastic tabs which fit into the black housing. This is refered throughout the guide as red plastic bit.

The guide:

1. Open the boot/trunk lid.

2. Remove the Warning Triangle from it's braket.

Third Brake Light Unit (LED) Removal and Replacement-locations.jpg

3. Using a flathead screwdriver, pull out the small grommet pins then the grommets itself. Four in total, check picture for locations.

4. Using a flathead screwdriver (narrow head) or an allen key of the correct size, unscrew the six screws holding the plastic trim along the bottom of the boot/trunk lid. Six screws in total, check picture for locations. Remove the plastic trim.

5. Once the grommets (four) and screws (six) have been removed, unhook the carpet from where the plastic was located and pull back the carpet until you can see the third brake light housing at the top corner. You may need to unclip the power to the boot/trunk light to allow you to do this.

Third Brake Light Unit (LED) Removal and Replacement-mainstrip.jpg

6. The image above is what you should see. There are two sliding tabs which need to be moved in the directions shown which will then unhook the black housing. Note: The left tab has been moved across and is unhooked. The right tab is in it's original position and still needs to be slid across. Now, slide the two tabs to unhook them. You will need to use moderate pressure, but they should move easily enough.

7. Here is the tricky bit. Once the two sliding tabs have been unhooked, using a kind of forward and back wiggling motion loosen the black housing. If you notice, the hole you're working through is smaller than the length of the housing. What you need to do is to push the black housing to the left, then once the right side is clear of the hole's edge on the right, pull it out. Pull out the black housing so you can see the power plug. Unclip the power plug (picture below) then the black housing will be free.

Third Brake Light Unit (LED) Removal and Replacement-powerclip.jpg

--- NOTE ---

Now at this point, I tried to install the new black housing to finish the job, but because of the tight space, there was no way for me to get the grey plastic tabs (from the red plastic bit of the light) into the slits in the black housing. I had no choice but to remove the red plastic bit.

--- END NOTE ---

8. Now working on the outside of the boot/trunk lid, using a flathead screwdriver, lift up the red light from it's recess and slowly pull it out of the hole. There is a sticky foam strip which holds the part in place. If you can, pull that out and then the light should pull out with moderate effort. I broke my light as you can see. Since you have a new red light, you may as well snap yours apart (much easier!). See below.

Third Brake Light Unit (LED) Removal and Replacement-brokenlight01.jpg

9. Using white spirit and a cloth, wipe the grime left by dirt and glue from the recess. Otherwise the new sticky foam strip may not make a good contact.

Third Brake Light Unit (LED) Removal and Replacement-grime.jpg

10. Open your new part box and remove the new third brake light unit. Seperate the black housing and the red light bit from each other. Working back inside the boot/trunk lid, connect the power plug to the black housing unit.

11. Carefully put the left side of the black housing back inside the hole and position it as far left as you can until the right side can pop inside the hole. Then move the black housing to the centre of the hole.

12. Remove the backing paper from the sticky foam strip found on the underside of the red light bit.

Third Brake Light Unit (LED) Removal and Replacement-backnewlight.jpg

13. Push the new red light bit through the hole on the outside of the car and press firmly into the recess.

15. Push the black housing onto the grey plastic tabs and then slide the black plastic tabs in the opposite directions as previously mentioned above. This should now lock the black housing in place. Once again, a moderate amount of force will be needed. You'll hear a 'click' for each tab once it's in place.

16. If you unplugged the boot/trunk light, reconnect it now.

17. Unfold the carpet back to how it should be and work backwards from instructions 5 to 1.

18. Check that you have no left over screws, grommets and grommet pins.

19. Close the boot/trunk lid and test your lights.

20. Victory dance.

Hopefully this will be of help to some of you.

Last edited by ArcaneE270; 06-02-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Very informative post, good job !

Edit : AND, his first post no less !

Last edited by starbrite; 06-02-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM

2003 E320
This is awesome! I know myself and several other forum members have been looking for a how-to on this topic. Great job!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 E500
Good stuff!!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 03:48 AM

E-270 Avantgarde
Thank you.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,412 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by ArcaneE270
A basic guide on replacing the third LED brake light which is found on the boot/trunk lid.

The new part: Part no: # A2118201256 Cost: £71.80 inc VAT (UK)

If you look at the third brake light unit, you'll notice it comes in two parts.

1. A black housing which has the PCB and the LEDs itself. This has two sliding black tabs which help it hook onto the red plastic bit. This is refered throughout the guide as black housing.

2. The outer red plastic bit (the visible part of the unit from outside the car). On the underside, it has grey plastic tabs which fit into the black housing. This is refered throughout the guide as red plastic bit.

The guide:

1. Open the boot/trunk lid.

2. Remove the Warning Triangle from it's braket.

3. Using a flathead screwdriver, pull out the small grommet pins then the grommets itself. Four in total, check picture for locations.

4. Using a flathead screwdriver (narrow head) or an allen key of the correct size, unscrew the six screws holding the plastic trim along the bottom of the boot/trunk lid. Six screws in total, check picture for locations. Remove the plastic trim.

5. Once the grommets (four) and screws (six) have been removed, unhook the carpet from where the plastic was located and pull back the carpet until you can see the third brake light housing at the top corner. You may need to unclip the power to the boot/trunk light to allow you to do this.

6. The image above is what you should see. There are two sliding tabs which need to be moved in the directions shown which will then unhook the black housing. Note: The left tab has been moved across and is unhooked. The right tab is in it's original position and still needs to be slid across. Now, slide the two tabs to unhook them. You will need to use moderate pressure, but they should move easily enough.

7. Here is the tricky bit. Once the two sliding tabs have been unhooked, using a kind of forward and back wiggling motion loosen the black housing. If you notice, the hole you're working through is smaller than the length of the housing. What you need to do is to push the black housing to the left, then once the right side is clear of the hole's edge on the right, pull it out. Pull out the black housing so you can see the power plug. Unclip the power plug (picture below) then the black housing will be free.

--- NOTE ---

Now at this point, I tried to install the new black housing to finish the job, but because of the tight space, there was no way for me to get the grey plastic tabs (from the red plastic bit of the light) into the slits in the black housing. I had no choice but to remove the red plastic bit.

--- END NOTE ---

8. Now working on the outside of the boot/trunk lid, using a flathead screwdriver, lift up the red light from it's recess and slowly pull it out of the hole. There is a sticky foam strip which holds the part in place. If you can, pull that out and then the light should pull out with moderate effort. I broke my light as you can see. Since you have a new red light, you may as well snap yours apart (much easier!). See below.

9. Using white spirit and a cloth, wipe the grime left by dirt and glue from the recess. Otherwise the new sticky foam strip may not make a good contact.

10. Open your new part box and remove the new third brake light unit. Seperate the black housing and the red light bit from each other. Working back inside the boot/trunk lid, connect the power plug to the black housing unit.

11. Carefully put the left side of the black housing back inside the hole and position it as far left as you can until the right side can pop inside the hole. Then move the black housing to the centre of the hole.

12. Remove the backing paper from the sticky foam strip found on the underside of the red light bit.

13. Push the new red light bit through the hole on the outside of the car and press firmly into the recess.

15. Push the black housing onto the grey plastic tabs and then slide the black plastic tabs in the opposite directions as previously mentioned above. This should now lock the black housing in place. Once again, a moderate amount of force will be needed. You'll hear a 'click' for each tab once it's in place.

16. If you unplugged the boot/trunk light, reconnect it now.

17. Unfold the carpet back to how it should be and work backwards from instructions 5 to 1.

18. Check that you have no left over screws, grommets and grommet pins.

19. Close the boot/trunk lid and test your lights.

20. Victory dance.

Hopefully this will be of help to some of you.
MBUSA part #s: MY03–06 A2118201556; MY07–08 A2118201456
Old 04-28-2009, 03:39 PM

2004 E320 4Matic
So does A2118201256 fit on MY04? And if so, how different is it from A2118201556?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 PM

W211 E240
I have just replaced my brake light unit and everything went well thanks to this post!
Thanks a lot!
PS: breaking the red part made the whole process much easier indeed.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CLS500 M113
I had to replace mine. Didnt get the 2004 one but the new facelift one with fewer, 12(?) LEDs fit fine.
I had a little corner of mine chip off and we are now in the midst of fairly heavy rain, my trunk was almost flooded and the carpet was getting real smelly!!!! I couldn't, for the love of God, figure out where the leak was from, but the culprit showed up when i took off the trunk lid lining!
Old 07-25-2009, 02:31 PM

E270
Great post thanks, just few questions!
1. Where is the best place to buy A2118200156 or A2118201556 in the UK? dealer wants £70 for just the part!
2. what’s the difference between A2118200156 and A2118201556, my 2003 currently has A2118200156.
3. Does anyone have a circuit diagram for the led strip?
From the power connecter the first 4 LEDs are dim! Was hoping I could fix it!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:04 PM

FYI guys. I ordered and received today part number A2118201556. $108 shipped from UK to US. Stealership wants $200 plus tax in the SF bay area.

Here is the website I ordered from:
http://www.partsformercedes-benz.com

Good luck.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:11 PM

E320 year 2004
Smile Third Brake light Removal & Replacement

I read the removal & replacement thread about third brake light for E320 MB, but what happened to the pictures that were mentions in the thread? can you please download those pictures.

thanks
Old 08-11-2010, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Pictures are all there.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:31 PM

E-270 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by sami
I read the removal & replacement thread about third brake light for E320 MB, but what happened to the pictures that were mentions in the thread? can you please download those pictures.

thanks
Hello, I got your PM. The pictures are working as mentioned above. As requested, I'll email them to you just in case.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Thanks for the informative post. I will more than likely be tackling this job soon as my third brake light just went out. I may try and purchase some similar led's and solder them on there first.

Aaron
Old 12-08-2010, 12:59 PM

E 320cdi W211 Avantgarde
Hi all,
The leds can be replaced individually if you can handle a soldering iron. Have a look here:
http://www.mbfaq.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=109212

Regards

Ted
Old 12-08-2010, 06:36 PM

2006 E320 CDI 235 hp 420 ft tq
I replace mine and the gasket that let the water in to make the LED lights go out.
The part was $212 USD it was the whole 3rd brake light with the new gasket.
I could not find it any other way it.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
I must say thank you very much !! I followed your 100% clear and accurate instructions and got my 3rd brake light in there and I'm not even that handy. Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:33 PM

2014 E550, 2003 E500, 1999 GMC Sierra, 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD
Changing third brake light

Good instructions. Was an easy job. One note though, after prying the red lens off I was left wondering why I even need to remove the red lens at all. The LED's are in the black housing. Could have done it in half the time just snapping on the new housing and leaving the lens
Old 04-09-2011, 03:39 PM

2014 E550, 2003 E500, 1999 GMC Sierra, 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD
Changing third brake light

Originally Posted by TedMartin
Hi all,
The leds can be replaced individually if you can handle a soldering iron. Have a look here:
http://www.mbfaq.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=109212

Regards

Ted
If only I could read spanish haha. I see I could have done that if I knew the part# for the leds
Old 04-10-2011, 03:35 AM

E-270 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by pdwilkersn
Good instructions. Was an easy job. One note though, after prying the red lens off I was left wondering why I even need to remove the red lens at all. The LED's are in the black housing. Could have done it in half the time just snapping on the new housing and leaving the lens
I agree, if you only need to change the LEDs then it can be done in half the time. However, in my case the red lens had cracked, so I made a full guide to replacing everything.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:53 AM

S550, E320 Sport Wagon and A170CDI :)
Do you guys know how to replace the third stop light in wagon?> I have the model before facelifting and wanted to change the third stop light to the wider one which is great!

hubi
Old 06-23-2013, 02:54 PM

E220 CDI
Thank you, Great Thread.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC63
Oh man, what am I getting into. I'm selling my e39 M5 today and buying a W211 E550 tomorrow. I just had to do this on my M5 and it took like 10 minutes. Granted, that light is at the base of the window vs. in the trunk, but geez.....
Old 10-01-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55
I love this place. Thanks for the help, smooth replacement and didnt need to change the cover. I did howeve rhave a wiring issue that I probably should have inspected first. Now Im pretty sure my original unit was working fine and it was just a wiring issue. Oh well you live and learn, now I have what I presume is an extra used but fully operational LED brake light and brand new cover sitting around.

Last edited by twowheelmarc; 10-03-2013 at 09:19 AM.