A/C condensor issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes 2011 CLS550 with AMG package
Question A/C condensor issue

Crazy story,
I was on the expressway and a small object hit the front of my car, did not think anything of it. When I got off the highway and stopped about 10 minutes later to pick up a friend there was a little smoke coming from the drivers side of the car for around 2 seconds. I asked my friend; did you see that ??? ??? I thought that the car was overheating but the temp guage did not move. So I kept driving and then at a light, again smoke from the underside of the passenger side for around 2 seconds. AGAIN the temp gauge did not move. Then it started to get warm in the car. Made it to the location and then on the way home - NO A/C and the light on the a/c switch started to blink. I dropped off the car at my local mercedes dealer this morning and I did NOT tell them about the object because I forgot about it, NO body damage. They called me later and told me that something penetrated the a/c condensor and it needed to be replaced and would NOT be covered under the warranty. The dealer quoted me $1,050 to fix it, so I called my insurance company and it will be covered less my deductable.

Does this sound crazy, was my dealer trying to pull a fast one on me ???
Old 06-17-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
You could ask to see the unit, which should show a puncture mark. (Mind you, they could "stab" a hole in there). But the fact that you did not mention the object, and that they came up with a "penetrated" unit AND your A/C stopped working, seems they are telling the truth. Just my speculation. I have no idea how much it costs to replace.

You could have a seized caliper causing the smoke. But u'd prolly feel that in the steering.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by RobertM
I was on the expressway and a small object hit the front of my car, did not think anything of it. When I got off the highway and stopped about 10 minutes later to pick up a friend there was a little smoke coming from the drivers side of the car for around 2 seconds. So I kept driving and then at a light, again smoke from the underside of the passenger side for around 2 seconds. Made it to the location and then on the way home - NO A/C and the light on the a/c switch started to blink.
Dealership explanation seems reasonable to me considering the event(s) leading up to the A/C malfunction.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic,1994 C220,1965 Mustang, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600
I have personally seen that exact problem with the condensors being punctured by road debris. A lot of these cars have no screening at all over the condensor leaving it VERY vulnerable to this damage.
Try explaining that to a customer that expects it to be covered by warranty, not a lot of fun...
Old 06-18-2008, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Dealership explanation seems reasonable to me considering the event(s) leading up to the A/C malfunction.
This is correct.

I think at the price you are getting a bargin since your insurance co. will pay for the damage minus deductable. Make sure it is not being listed as Collision,, but comprensive. You did not hit the object it hit you as it was already in the air, therefore it hit you and was out of your control. Otherwise your tires would have to hit it first then it would be behind the condeser and could not hit it. You probably have a lower deductable on the comprensive which is the same as your glass repair coverage.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by RobertM

Does this sound crazy, was my dealer trying to pull a fast one on me ???
Sounds very reasonable.