E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

HARD downshifts into 1st gear when cruising very slowly sometimes....

Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Ohh 220S, I remember you said you don't have this issue. I think the Valve Body might have been updated on the 09 and up.

I had 2 rentals when I took my car in. A C300 which has plates already so I was thinking it was an 08. I remember this transmission was kind of acting up as well.

Well when I got my final work done recently my SA got me a brand new C350 rental. The C350 did not have any issues with the transmission and has 1,500K miles on it.
I drove it like I drive my car and the transmission worked flawlessly. I didn't even get a jerk when I came to a stop.

I believe you might have the updated Valve Body on your tranny so this is why you don't feel anything.

I think the worst year for the 7G-Tronic was 06-08 (maybe depending on build date late 08 models might be fine but for sure 09 should be fixed)

With these transmissions it's a hit or miss
Old 10-07-2009, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E550 Sports
Originally Posted by Karo
Remember what we covered 3 main points you have to mention.

• Also don't let them BS you with Adaptations (the 1st gear jerk is a common problem). When you go there say "It's the Valve Body" and make something up like "my neighbor had the same issue as mine and they changed the Valve Body and I drove it and it's fine". "I have a feeling it's my Valve Body because this will controll the downshift and my car downshifts to 1st too quickly and this is why I am getting the hard downshift to 1st. I don't think the software update might help but if you guys want to do it I don't mind" (makes you sound like you know about the software and that it usually doesn't do much for the hard downshift)
    Try to make it seem you know what you are saying and you know of this issue.
  • Tell the dealer "car hangs in up gears and then shifts horribly" basically you are telling the dealer sometimes at high speeds when it's time to change gears the transmission stalls then when it shifts it jerks.
  • Also mention "sometimes at idle I feel vibrations coming under the car and I feel it might be the transmounts" This is a common problem and most of the time they will change it. Also mention this "when putting into drive I sometimes feel a clunk from under vehicle and I suspect it might be the front sway bar links can you inspect this?"

Mention all those 3 that I posted in bold and soon you will get a new Valve body. Don't back off if they hassle you take the car back. Be aggressive and keep us updated on what they tell you.

Always remember they might give you excuses and don't be shy. Tell them you know what's wrong. Tell them the 7G-Tronic has had a lot of software issue and Valve Body issue and that you are aware of it.

Good Luck and Keep us posted,

My turn is Thursday got an appointment because my car is burning oil. I burned 3qts within 4,600 miles which the guy BSed me and said industry standard is 1qt ever 1000 miles and that it is normal. THIS IS BS good thing I know the consumption that MB accepts and does not.
Just a tip MB accept 0.3 liter of consumption at ever 1000km.
That is around 0.32 qts every 621 miles.

Anyway I spammed this thread enough already. I check here often because I have the exact same engine and transmission as the E350 but in a C class body lol

Keep us posted Pekkle,

If they give you the run around let me know and we can figure out the next step

I almost forgot 80% of the time when you ask for a manager stuff usually get's done. So don't ever be affraid to ask for their manager. BUT dont be rude when you ask them for a manager. Say something like I know you guys are doing your job and I have to do my job as a customer because I know I have a problem.

Don't threaten them or anything because that won't get you far but at the same time don't be a whimp so they can walk all over you. Also be very confident. What I have provided you is very good info. I went 4 months into hiding and read the transmission info from top to bottom

Here is a 7G Book. It has a lot of info about the transmission. It's a big file so it didn't meet the size requirements so I couldn't upload it on MBWorld.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NA8MGSJE
Hey Karo! Really appreciated your time and effort to help out your fellow board members! I will keep you guys posted about the outcome, but currently I am not really experiencing any issues when breaking to a stop on S mode, but hard shifting during driving. I will bring my car to dealer as soon as I get a chance. Once again a BIG Thank You Karo!
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e320
Hey Karo,

I finnallllllyyy got a hold of the old owner, and he doesnt remember if he has had a transmission flush done. So i think im going to start there like you mentioned. Is that something I should do at the stealership or somewhere else?

Also, I agree with you I feel like im using the break a lot more in C mode as it just feels like it coasts along.

But today while in C mode it did it again!!! UGH! so I hope the transmission flush does make a difference.

Karo, Thanks for your help
Old 10-08-2009, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
After today's incident when I went to the dealer all I got to say is "FU*K THE DEALER AND MBUSA"
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/317809-oil-message-really-need-help-5.html#post3754867
-----------------------------------------------------------
Check your owner's manual to see what kind of transmission oil you use and how many qts and don't forget the filter.
If you want to get it from the dealer (which I would) I would go with getmercedesparts.com (they are a lot cheaper than the dealer-dealer wanted to charge me 32 dollars for power steering fluid but I got it from there for 17 dollars.)

Here is how you change your fluid:

If you need any help or any more info let me know
I'm telling you bro with all the problems I had/have right now on my car I can probably open up an independent shop and do better work than the dealer

Last edited by W203E35; 10-08-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:04 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Lol. That really sucks though man. Have you tried taking your car into a different Dealer (about your engine problem)?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
I don't know what to do anymore. I lost all hope especially when MBUSA called and seemed like they were backing up the dealer and kind of acting like I don't know what I am talking about.

But I am not going to give up. But now since MBUSA got involved I have a feeling that they might mess with the numbers and add more oil and make it seem I am burning far less than what I am.

So far I have lucked out with 3 dealers (in general..where they eighter lied to me or they really didn't know their head from their ***). W.I. Simonson in Santa Monica, Rusnak in Pasadena and Keyes in Van Nuys.

I might give another one a shot. Go there and tell them straight up what has happened. I'll wait to see what MBUSA says. The more you know the more problems you have. If I believed them.... that this was normal I would have said OK and went on with my life but I know this isn't normal and this means extra headache.
----------------------------------------------

Boghos - Keep me updated about the oil and filter change. If you have trouble finding the oil and filter let me know. I can dig up some information
-----------------------------------------------
Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
A leakdown test is labor intensive and if the dealer can't get paid for it, they won't do it. The dealer is trying to fall within specs from MB before they jump to any conclusions. You might have to wait it out a bit. Going to another dealer means starting all over again. Personally I wouldn't yell at anybody at the dealer, it doesn't do any good and now it's alienated you from them. As frustrating as it can be, you sometimes just have to keep your cool.

Go here and talk to George and see what he has to say. Pay a few bucks to get loaded up with some good advice before you head back to the dealer.
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CA8QqgUwAA

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Thanks soo much 220S, I really appreciate your help.
Off the top of your head do you know how much a Leakdown test costs?

Thanks again,

Karo
Old 10-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,412 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
I don't know what to do anymore. I lost all hope especially when MBUSA called and seemed like they were backing up the dealer and kind of acting like I don't know what I am talking about.
Check PM
Old 10-18-2009, 12:42 PM

2006 e350
Originally Posted by Pekkle
It's funny how I have missed this thread and I went to dealer directly with similar issue, however not as bad as what you guys have described. My car from time to time during acceleration from stop will give me a jerking like hard shift that make me feel like the tranny is about to fail. Also from time to time during high speed acceleration and let go of the gas, the tranny would jerk also.. I don't believe I experienced this when the car was newer only more recently, and from what the dealer told me they couldn't duplicate the issue currently. Is my issue the same as what you guys have described as the valve issue?
I have had some frustration with various issues I have and dealer saying "unable to duplicate problem." I would go back if this issue is still present and ask if head tech can ride with you so you can demonstrate problem. After they changed the valve body it was more than just a hard downshift, it would scare me it would jerk so hard and it felt like I hit a pothole. No way anything normal. This was all after they reset the ECU and changed valve body. The good thing about when they change the valve body is that they have to change fluid and filter so you won't be due a service until next time due. With the new tranny I believe I have to change it after a certain mileage because it is just a break-in fluid. By the way.....does anyone know what the recommended interval for first tranny service is?
Old 10-18-2009, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by walter34payton2
I have had some frustration with various issues I have and dealer saying "unable to duplicate problem." I would go back if this issue is still present and ask if head tech can ride with you so you can demonstrate problem. After they changed the valve body it was more than just a hard downshift, it would scare me it would jerk so hard and it felt like I hit a pothole. No way anything normal. This was all after they reset the ECU and changed valve body. The good thing about when they change the valve body is that they have to change fluid and filter so you won't be due a service until next time due. With the new tranny I believe I have to change it after a certain mileage because it is just a break-in fluid. By the way.....does anyone know what the recommended interval for first tranny service is?
On the 7G you only have to change it once at 39K miles
Old 10-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,412 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
On the 7G you only have to change it once at 39K miles
MB ATF change revisions: MY04 no replacement, MY05-08 once @ 39000, and MY09 every 40000 miles therefore IMO it would be best to to change ATF every 30000-40000 miles for optimum performance.

https://mbworld.org/forums/3294991-post83.html

Last edited by konigstiger; 10-18-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:48 PM

02 E320 Blk, 09 E350 Blk
Originally Posted by Pekkle
Ha, you actually mentioned something I do experience. whenever my car idles, it actually idle pretty roughly (meaning shakes) and I thought that was normal. one thing from my past experience is I am really afraid of letting people change anything related to transmission. when I was young, I drove a honda accord and exhibit a similar problem with hard shifting and dealer has replaced the engine mount and later replaced the whole transmission, and after that my car went downhill the transmission they replaced was worse and I have since sold that car. so I am really worried if they will messed up my tranny by replacing the valve body?

I used to remember a post from this board that MB of Anaheim is not a very good dealer to take your car for service and there was one that they recommended but I don't remember which one now, I think it was by the beach. Do you or do any board member knows a good dealer down here in SoCal? the one I am closer to are either MB of Anaheim or Penske MB in W.Covina and I doubt any of the ones that I am closer are any good.

Mercedes of Anaheim (House of Imports) has the worst/poor service and too much BS's...They also will work on your car and scratches the fenders and the hood. Plz do not have free car wash at this location!!!

The best service in OC is the Caliber in Anaheim Hills as they are quick and less BS's compare to any other MB dealers in Socal...
Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Really?? That would be great.

Can anyone else verify if this is true in all Valve-Body changes??
Old 10-19-2009, 10:19 AM

2006 e350
Originally Posted by K-A
Really?? That would be great.

Can anyone else verify if this is true in all Valve-Body changes??
Well, K-A, what I am saying that in my case, after changing valve body things got worse. So much so that they changed the tranny on their own volition. I can say that with the new tranny, it runs so perfect that every time I drive the car I am reminded of how a Mercedes should run. My point is that I have had luck having the head tech ride with me so that they can't say "cannot duplicate problem." I ask the tech, "hey you feel that" and at that point problem duplicated and if they argue you can say, "well the tech felt it and said something was wrong. They tried that with me with a thrust arm bushing. The driver's side front wheel felt like it was moving when I would stop it was so bad. Guess what...could not duplicate until I had tech ride with me. Then they fixed problem. Good luck K-A, hope my info helps!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:37 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Well, K-A, what I am saying that in my case, after changing valve body things got worse. So much so that they changed the tranny on their own volition. I can say that with the new tranny, it runs so perfect that every time I drive the car I am reminded of how a Mercedes should run. My point is that I have had luck having the head tech ride with me so that they can't say "cannot duplicate problem." I ask the tech, "hey you feel that" and at that point problem duplicated and if they argue you can say, "well the tech felt it and said something was wrong. They tried that with me with a thrust arm bushing. The driver's side front wheel felt like it was moving when I would stop it was so bad. Guess what...could not duplicate until I had tech ride with me. Then they fixed problem. Good luck K-A, hope my info helps!!!
Thanks!! So far mine is seemingly a lot better, but I have felt a slight hiccup here or there.

My goal before my Warranty is up in just under 3 years is to get a new Tranny put in. I'm sure mine has been abused enough due to how badly it was working before, and I'm sure it isn't as refined as a newer copy of the 7G should be.

It would be nice if that Valve-Body change did in fact mean new Tranny Fluid in my car, as it will save me some $$ come Service time. As well, I know they can't BS me into getting it if I know that a Valve Body change made sure it got done already.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:20 PM

2006 e350
Originally Posted by K-A
Thanks!! So far mine is seemingly a lot better, but I have felt a slight hiccup here or there.

My goal before my Warranty is up in just under 3 years is to get a new Tranny put in. I'm sure mine has been abused enough due to how badly it was working before, and I'm sure it isn't as refined as a newer copy of the 7G should be.

It would be nice if that Valve-Body change did in fact mean new Tranny Fluid in my car, as it will save me some $$ come Service time. As well, I know they can't BS me into getting it if I know that a Valve Body change made sure it got done already.
Oh yeah, it would definitely mean new tranny fluid and filter because in order to do the job they would have to drop the pan and dismantle part of the tranny. Hence drain fluid. It is protocol to fully drain and add new fluid and change filter. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Doesn't mean new fluid. BMW has a machine at their dealer to filter and re-use old transmission fluid when they do work on the trans. At least thats what the service mgr told me.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:54 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Hmm, I wonder how I'd be able to get an honest answer as to whether they changed the tranny fluid or not. I'd assume the Dealer would just play dumb or deny having to have changed the fluid.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
If the mechanic had to change a lower radiator hose, he'd catch the Anti Freeze and reuse it & just top off what was lost. I see no reason why they wouldnt catch & reuse trans fluid if the only problem they were repairing was replacing the Valve Body... a burnt or damaged transmission is a different story.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:26 PM

2004 e320
New issue... it has happened 4 times now and im taking it in to get it checked out in the next couple of days when I can. I was driving at low speeds and all of a sudden I get a hard shift, it feels like an up shift but could be a downshift and the car gets stuck in that gear. When I start to accelerate the car starts revving at high RPM's and wont shift gears. Even if I try to manually change the gear it won’t move off D. I pull over, turn off the car and turn it back on and it works just fine till the next time which is at random. Any ideas what it could be?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Anyone with updates?
My 2006 R500 doing it quite often on slow rolls to stop - surprisingly, it did it even in Comfort mode, which I thought wasn't possible.
PL
Old 04-04-2013, 06:12 PM

2007 E550 4MATIC
My transmission (2007 E550 4MATIC) is doing similar things (in S mode, jerky low speed shifts). It's the 5-speed auto, so I didn't know if the same root causes applied as with the 7-speed mentioned here. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:22 PM

2009 W211 E350 AMG Sport PKG
old *** thread, i wish i had found this earlier.

i was having the exact same problem. took my car in had the mechanic look for the problem, but they couldn't replicate it. my SA said bring it back if it does it again, and it did. so i took it back with no luck again. 3rd time around, according to my SA, MB sent a master tech to check out my car, couldn't find a damn thing wrong with it even though they were able to replicate it.

my SA suggested that I take care of my 40k tranny service and so i did. still didn't fix it. took it back, and my SA said they can't do anything until the computer throws an error code or something of that sort. pretty ridiculous that MB won't do anything unless a damn computer tells them that something is wrong. makes me think that a trained monkey can work as a tech there.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 PM

W211 E350 Sport
going through the same problem when i switch to c then to s then vice versa it will get stuck in whatever gear im in from the time i pushed the c or s button.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HARD downshifts into 1st gear when cruising very slowly sometimes....