E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Advice on buying a new E500

Old 02-09-2003, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on buying a new E500

I just test drove an E500 on Saturday and love the car. I have a few questions - US version. Thank you in advance.

Seats -- Dynamic, Multi-Countour, or the standard seats? My wife wants heated seats. Is that option available on all three? What about ventilated seats? Is that available on all three. Very confusing. What about Nappa leather? I didn't think the seats were all that soft?

Drive - We live in the Northeast and were thinking of a 4-matic but it is not available until 2004 year. What is a 4 - matic other than 4 wheeel drive. How does it drive and handle differently than the standard rear wheel drive? Resale value? Is it worth waiting for the 2004 when the 4-matic will be available? How does it comapre to a Quattro in an Audi?

Navigation system -- Is it worth the wait until possible April/May build? Anyone know the features and ease of use. The old command system was not user friendly.

Color - Pewter? I kind of like it with the charcoal. I know subjective but any thoughts?

Finally, any ideas on what additional if any changes/options will be made to the car for the '04 year.

Bob
Old 02-09-2003, 08:58 PM

2013 S550
I have Pewter/Charcoal, and I like it. I don't have the sport package, so I have the Burl Walnut wood -- I like the contrast, especially if you order the wood/leather steering wheel.

The consensus on the board is to go with the standard seats or the drive-dyanmic, but avoid the multi-contour.

COMAND II is pretty controversial at this time, especially since there are no "official" details from MBUSA. There are two or three threads about this.

I have the AVS and think that is the way to go rather than heat only.

Can't address the other questions.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:52 PM

Chris,

Your car sounds beautiful. I'd pretty much order the same car. I like the contrast with the wood and the charcoal insides. It sounds like the only real diffference with the sports package is wheels and some minor body stuff. I noticed you ordered the keyless entry. What do you think? I'm still torn between the sun roof and the panoramic one. Ron
Old 02-09-2003, 11:40 PM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
The AVS seats are really great. Good for muscle aches with heat (we don't have much use for heat otherwise here in So. FL, but you may) and the cooling keeps you from sweating. The drive dynamic seats (we have them on our SL) are good for cornering but are a little snug for me even when fully open.

On color, take a look at Pewter/Stone too.

On Navigation, bummer. For me, it is a toy. But, I like toys. I would probably wait to see if they announce something in the next month and go for it without if they don't.

If you get the E500 however equipped and in whatever color, you will love it.

Jeff
Old 02-09-2003, 11:42 PM

2013 S550
Initially I was quite frustrated with the Keyless Go, but eventually it was determined that I had a faulty amplifier in one of the pillars. Once it was replaced, I find that this is one of my favorite options. It's very convenient, and I'm simply not cognizant of relating a key to an automobile any more.

Another major difference in the Sport package is the use of chrome-edged Black Birdseye Maple instead of the Burl Walnut. The instrument panel also has different color and lighting. I think this is a matter of personal taste. The Bi-Xenon headlights (E1) come standard with the Sport package (E3); otherwise you need to order that option separately.

I think everyone who got a panoramic roof really likes it. My perception is that it really makes a difference if you have kids or other passengers riding frequently in the back. It makes their riding experience really unique. If you are the sole driver, I'm not sure how much difference it makes; I've never ridden in an E with a panoramic roof.

You will really love the car. The longer I have it, the more I enjoy it. If you go with Pewter, I would suggest reading about Zaino in the detailing/car care forum on this site. It really makes this color glow.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I have the panorama sunroof, and I think it's totally cool! I vote a big resounding YES on that feature!

Also, I absolutely love the factory-installed in-dash 6-CD changer, which actually gives you 7 CDs. The loading is simple, and I'm totally happy with it!

I have the standard seats and am very happy with them.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:32 PM
dtm
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 320 Cab
Some additional thoughts

1. On 4Matic, I have one on order as well, so I have done a bit of sniffing around. No way to tell specifically about the difference in driving feel since it isn't available yet on the E500, but I have driven standard and 4Matic versions of the S-class. Other than a very slightly 'heavier' or 'thicker' feel to the steering, you won't notice the difference until it counts...on slippery surfaces. And to answer your other question, 4Matic is all about 4WD...no other new features come with this. Price is likely to be $2-$3K more than for standard E500.

2. Color: Pewter is beautiful, esp with charcoal. I ordered tectite only becuase I noticed a significant amount of brown in the metallic Pewter paint under bright lighting, not to my liking, but very popular on this forum.

3. Definitely avoid the multi-contour seats, the controls are a joke and no real benefit. Plain seats or drive-dynamic.

4. Panorama - in addition to the good comments about the benefit to rear-seat riders, I think another benefit of Panorama roof is, to the extent it matters to you, that it helps distinguish the car from others...not only other W211's but also from other cars on the road...one more thing to get heads turning.

Can't offer any insight on Keyless Go, although I also have it on order. My package:

'04 E500 4Matic - Tectite/Charcoal, Sport Pkg, Drive Dynamic Seats, Keyless Go, Panorama, Parktronic, HK, CD changer, fold-down seats, rear window blind, AVS, integrated phone, COMAND, wood/leather wheel.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:33 PM

I can't recommend the Drive Dynamic seats strongly enough - they basically have all the features of the other seats, plus the amazing inflatable side bolsters and massage pulse functions. The perforated leather (for the ventilation) has matching leather throughout the cabin (back seats too, even though they aren't ventilated) and the quality of the leather is much better than the standard, so all in all, it's the most you can get for your option dollar, let me assure you!
Old 02-10-2003, 05:57 PM

Very helpful on the dynamic seats. I'll include them in my order.