E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

My rims keep cracking 07 E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E240
Originally Posted by mystro
No, he's simply a flamer whose likely been booted off the Honda forums for the same type behavior.

...typical behavior of a lonely keyboard tiger.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:05 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
For your edification...

Originally Posted by Scraz51
Was this a joke?
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/inde...?date=19970731

It is quite simple actually. A properly inflated tire (or one that is underinflated but still attached to the wheel) cannot compress so much that the wheel actually hits the roadway and miraculously springs back.

Mystro is also completely clueless about the purpose of the rim guard bead as its sole purpose is to try to minimize wheel damage as one drives too close to a curb.

The type of car that I happen to drive currently has nothing to do with this discussion as this is clearly not MB centric.

Folks like Mystro need to learn that they shouldn't post misinformation.

While some may not like the tone of my posts, they are technically accurate and, if there is an error in one of my posts, I'll be the first to correct it and apologize if appropriate.

That said, I stand behind my description of a "rim guard" - no tire professional would validate any of Mystro's ridiculous claim - especially after seeing the photo he posted which, btw, is a classic example or slightly riding up on a curb and then dropping down - scaping the wheel and damaging the sidewall.

In addition, it looks like the tire is not properly sized for that wheel and is "stretched" - it is a bit difficult to see with just that bit of tire. OTOH, the cause of that damage is quite obvious and has nothing to do with the wheel hitting the pavement during driving.

Let me clarify some more for the "we think ceb is an obnoxious buffoon" crowd.

The only way that a wheel could make contact with pavement is if there was catastrophic tire failure. The picture that our friend mystro posted did not show catastrophic failure. In addition, and wheel damage would be on the rim where it mated up with the (after the failure) nonexistant tire and would cause a dent rather than scrapes on the face of the rim. The only way that the face of the rim can get scraped is by hitting a curb or similar vertical obstacle - unless mystro makes a habit of driving down the road on his side - but then there'd be body damage.

Back to the OP - your damage is caused by hitting things like potholes. The best way to resolve those issues (other than avoiding potholes - sometimes difficult) is to go to a smaller wheel (it it fits your car) and the appropriately sized tire. This will give you more sidewall to flex and absorb bumps.

Most aftermarket wheels are not as well made as OE wheels and will actually damage more easily. There are, of course, high quality aftermarket wheels but those are generally more expensive than OE...

Last edited by CEB; 07-01-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo and additional info about tire size
Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Charcoal Grey E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by CEB
You Sir, are a maroon...
I love it........
Old 07-01-2009, 03:58 PM

87 MB TDwagon 287K
I blame only myself for any followups on his totally worthless dribble, sorry folks, I know better! He has no comprehension whatsoever of how people behave and conduct themselves at MBW ..zero, nada. His is maturity level really showed when he couldn't make his case, drop things and move on. Did he EVER offer his idea of a solution to the OP?????? NO! He had to continue like he was on a AOL Honda kiddie forum and totally ignored the OP and his request...pathetic.

Whatdayabet--he's looking for attention? Sorry kid, your time has run out.

cya

Old 07-01-2009, 04:01 PM

87 MB TDwagon 287K

I couldn't said it better if I tried. Thanks, I'll keep this one

Old 07-01-2009, 10:11 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

just to keep you happy....

Originally Posted by mystro
... He has no comprehension whatsoever of how people behave and conduct themselves at MBW ..zero, nada.

Did he EVER offer his idea of a solution to the OP?????? NO!

He had to continue like he was on a AOL Honda kiddie forum and totally ignored the OP and his request...pathetic.

Whatdayabet--he's looking for attention? Sorry kid, your time has run out.

cya

...I've updated my profile to include the MBs I've owned since the mid-70's.

Thank you for explaining to me that the proper etiquette on this forum is to be a fanboi for every clown that comes in here with 8k HID wannabe lights, previously nice E's dropped to the weeds and sporting dubs.

I also appreciate that one should come to this forum, spout absolutely ridiculous theories about "rim riding" and then denigrate those who dare correct these idiotic posts.

Unfortunately, you clearly didn't read my posts because I provided valid suggestions to the OP and corrected your disinformation.

The attitude on this forum makes it clear that it is a bad idea to buy a car that is at the end of its model run - the 'early models have come down in price where they get snatched up by the Civic crowd - keep your damn cars and your forum - I'm not buying an E after this experience...
Old 07-01-2009, 11:28 PM

2003 E240
Laters
Old 07-02-2009, 02:53 AM

2003 E240
Originally Posted by CEB
The attitude on this forum makes it clear that it is a bad idea to buy a car that is at the end of its model run - the 'early models have come down in price where they get snatched up by the Civic crowd - keep your damn cars and your forum - I'm not buying an E after this experience...
I've actually spent some time thinking about this today, it shouldn't have bothered me and it doesn't really but it is like one of those little itches you just have to scratch.

Since you have come on this forum you have offered a completely different opinion on a lot of subjects, that is fine, who cares, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But then instead of just simply stating alternate points of view, you then mascaraed as if yours is right and everyone else is wrong, then you proceeded to insult people that mod their cars, which is something a lot of people on this forum do. Why? Because you don't like it. That is not a reason.

Your posts about modding are the equivalent of going to the Million Man March and saying that you don't like African Americans. Fine, your country entitles you to an opinion without censorship and that is further emphasized by the internet, but why do it? You act like you could not foresee that it would annoy people to come on a forum which is filled with 95% modders and say that modding is for idiots.

After all this you act like a victim? Why? There is no point joining a forum so you can only make dissenting opinions to stir an argument or debate on a topic. It only breeds contempt which has been obviously demonstrated.

You seem to be rather intelligent as well. So why walk around like you are the smartest guy in the room, being smarter than the average person you should know that people don't like that and it will only aggravate others.

Your posts on wheel damage with regards to potholes were quite accurate and I do agree that nothing you put on your tires, except smaller wheels, will stop the rim from cracking. I mean, the car does weigh between 1.5 to 2 tonnes. The rim guards may work, but in all honesty the only way to have wheels that won't break is to make them smaller with larger tires.

In regards to reps vs oems. I would probably just buy reps as they are so cheap, something like $150 per rim vs. $600 per rim. You could basically replace it 3-4 times for the price of 1 oem. It personally seems like better value and the chances of a rep breaking are probably a lot less than that, unless you boy race everywhere. But that is just me!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:51 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just to clarify....

I've actually spent some time thinking about this today, it shouldn't have bothered me and it doesn't really but it is like one of those little itches you just have to scratch.

Since you have come on this forum you have offered a completely different opinion on a lot of subjects, that is fine, who cares, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But then instead of just simply stating alternate points of view, you then mascaraed as if yours is right and everyone else is wrong, then you proceeded to insult people that mod their cars, which is something a lot of people on this forum do. Why? Because you don't like it. That is not a reason.

Your posts about modding are the equivalent of going to the Million Man March and saying that you don't like African Americans. Fine, your country entitles you to an opinion without censorship and that is further emphasized by the internet, but why do it? You act like you could not foresee that it would annoy people to come on a forum which is filled with 95% modders and say that modding is for idiots.

After all this you act like a victim? Why? There is no point joining a forum so you can only make dissenting opinions to stir an argument or debate on a topic. It only breeds contempt which has been obviously demonstrated.

You seem to be rather intelligent as well. So why walk around like you are the smartest guy in the room, being smarter than the average person you should know that people don't like that and it will only aggravate others.

Your posts on wheel damage with regards to potholes were quite accurate and I do agree that nothing you put on your tires, except smaller wheels, will stop the rim from cracking. I mean, the car does weigh between 1.5 to 2 tonnes. The rim guards may work, but in all honesty the only way to have wheels that won't break is to make them smaller with larger tires.

In regards to reps vs oems. I would probably just buy reps as they are so cheap, something like $150 per rim vs. $600 per rim. You could basically replace it 3-4 times for the price of 1 oem. It personally seems like better value and the chances of a rep breaking are probably a lot less than that, unless you boy race everywhere. But that is just me!
...I have nothing against modding - but - I do have something against:

modding for modding sake and to be a lemming

Modding a feature (headlights in this particular example) that causes your car to be a hazard to others and to decrease your own visibility for the sake of looking "cool." 8k bulbs or HIDs in non-HID housings do that.

Modding a car without understanding the possible ramifications - lowering your car and then being surprised that handling and ride deteriorate, surprised that your suspension components get damaged and that the dealer won't cover it under warranty.

I believe that there is a difference between modding your car and screwing up the driving dynamics just to look cool - especially when you don't know that your mods just screwed up your car because everyone is just wanting to tell each other that they look cool.

IMO (and that's probably because I'm old school) there are differences in how you mod a Civic and how you mod an E. That probably comes through in my posts as I try to post factual information.

The purpose of these forums is to share information - one of my (many) pet peeves is when folks try to pass off blatantly incorrect information and, when corrected, go on the offensive with personal attacks on the individual who corrected them.

And yes, you are absolutely correct that reps may be the way to go in this instance as they are cheaper to replace frequently. But folks need to understand that the majority of reps are lesser quality than OE...
Old 07-02-2009, 10:23 AM

2003 E240
If someone wants to be a lemming let them. It is hardly any of your business to step in and tell them they are retarded.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 w211 E55
I installed my e63 reps and they weigh as much as my oem wheels, they look better, they cost less and they drive the same as my oem wheels. It has only been a week but I'm enjoying them so far.