E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Repair Rear Air Spring Protective Bellows

Old 07-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500
Repair Rear Air Spring Protective Bellows

My 2005 E500 only has 40,000 miles on it, and the rubber bellows for the rear air spring on the drivers side is not attached at the top any more. It has slipped out of its groove on the top of the air spring. The special nylon tie strap has been cut off too closely to be able to tighten it. The bellows also has a few tears in it.

I have read that the protective bellows are not available as a separate part, so how does one make such a repair. It would be a shame to have to replace a functional $700.00 air spring because of the "protective" bellows have small tears in them. How would you guys make an effective repair?

Thanks ahead for any advice!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:55 PM

2005 E500
Well, I did manage to reattach the bellows to the air spring. I used galvanized tie wire around the circumference of the groove in the bellows. I wrapped one strand around the groove, and twisted the wire with lineman's pliers until it was tight.

That bellows is not coming off again, but I am still concerned about the longevity of the air spring, because of the small tears in the bellows. Maybe I will think of a way to effectively repair the damaged areas.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by m4coyote
Well, I did manage to reattach the bellows to the air spring. I used galvanized tie wire around the circumference of the groove in the bellows. I wrapped one strand around the groove, and twisted the wire with lineman's pliers until it was tight.

That bellows is not coming off again, but I am still concerned about the longevity of the air spring, because of the small tears in the bellows. Maybe I will think of a way to effectively repair the damaged areas.
A pity that the protective bellows are not available separately. There must be a supplier for MB but I've never seen this supplier delivering the parts through any other shops.

If your protective bellows were detached from the top, you might need to clean the bottom, detach the bottom and and wash it and let it dry before attaching the bottom part again.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:32 PM

2005 E500
You are absolutely correct my friend! It is ridiculous that the inexpensive bellows or the really cheap, but special, nylon tie straps are not available separately. It makes no sense to have to purchase a $700.00 air spring, when the only part that is defective is the flimsy thin bellows & the tie straps.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by m4coyote
You are absolutely correct my friend! It is ridiculous that the inexpensive bellows or the really cheap, but special, nylon tie straps are not available separately. It makes no sense to have to purchase a $700.00 air spring, when the only part that is defective is the flimsy thin bellows & the tie straps.
Welcome to my and MB world. I have already replaced both rear airsprings for bellows failure. You will soon be also replacing them. Just one of the perts of owning a MB with airmatic suspension.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
vettdvr

How did you know your rears had failed/leak? dropped to the bottom and error on the FSS??

i noticed over the weekend that the rear passenger side spring control arm nut/bolt area was caked with grit/dirt. Which means that oil/grease of some sort. While the rear DS was clean as day. Taking it in to the dealer. Havent had a chance to see if its the shocks are leaking or the line??? So far no error message on FSS display. Still under warranty w/32k miles on the clock.