E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Did Diff Oil Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
to extract the "greasy clumpy" stuff in your diff, here is what we do.

support the rear wheels off the ground using jack stands
drain as much as you can of the diff fluid
refill diff with GUNK motor flush. This will cost about $4
start the engine and put in D. allow the motor to idle in D which should spin the tires. you want to just let the engine idle. both rear tires should be spinning at a speed of around 10 mph.
to clean spider gears, I stop one of my rear tires by hand and allow the opposite rear tire to continue to spin. CAUTION - this is not possible if you have a posi-traction installed. I go back and forth stopping each rear tire so that spider gears get a good flush.

after 5 minutes, stop the engine and drain GUNK engine flush. fill with inexpensive gear oil. this gear oil will only be used for final flushing.

repeat the procedure of spinning the rear tires for a few minutes

drain again, refil with 85w-90 sold by Mercedes dealer. I do not recommend using another brand.

good luck!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by mikekuriger

start the engine and put in D. allow the motor to idle in D which should spin the tires. you want to just let the engine idle. both rear tires should be spinning at a speed of around 10 mph.
to clean spider gears, I stop one of my rear tires by hand and allow the opposite rear tire to continue to spin. CAUTION - this is not possible if you have a posi-traction installed. I go back and forth stopping each rear tire so that spider gears get a good flush.

after 5 minutes, stop the engine and drain GUNK engine flush. fill with inexpensive gear oil. this gear oil will only be used for final flushing.

drain again, refil with 85w-90 sold by Mercedes dealer. I do not recommend using another brand.

good luck!
Yes that will work!.

That is why I recommend to anyone if you open the diff, don't touch anything. The more you touch the more you contaminate. This method of flush will not open the diff and therefore contamination is minimal. Clearances in the pinion and ring gear bearings are preloaded for a zero clearance when heated up. This means ANY contamination that passes through will damage bearings. Gears are tougher, but the bearings will be damaged with contamination.

All this discussion on other oils. Why not just use MB approved 1st and be finished. I used full synthetic 85/140 in my Lincoln several years ago. I pulled a 2000 # trailer with it. There was no issue with the diff before change. After about 35,000 miles the surface hardening was worn off the ring gear to the porus metal underneath with failure to soon occur.

I learned my lesson and this is why I recommend if you are changing MB fluids use ONLY approved fluids. There may be other fluids that will work but unless you are a lub. engineer and understand all the testing that goes into lubrication I would keep it simple.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:02 AM

His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Originally Posted by 007_e350
I would advise you to use 85w-90 sold by Mercedes,
You'll pardon me if I don't take your advice, based on your... extensive experience, mmk? LOL

thisstuff is made in Belgium,
Uh-huh. And the Belgians make the best of everything then?

hypoil something & is better than putting in 75w-90
Most all gear oils are Hypoid oils.

hypoid |ˈhīˌpoid| (also hypoid gear)
noun
a bevel wheel with teeth engaging with a spiral pinion mounted at right angles to the wheel's axis, used to connect nonintersecting shafts in vehicle transmissions and other mechanisms.

- they say its a one time change so cost shouldn't be a factor (I paid $62 for 2 litres)
And you listen to "them"?

Glad you got everything worked out in the end. Next time, I suggest (and I can reliably do so because I change gear oils in all my vehicles every 20K miles - I know, a little overkill), that you look in the owner's manual. There, in black on white, it will tell you what oil viscosities you will need.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes E320
Originally Posted by crazypotato
TOO THICK!! Run a risk to blow out the seals
are you guessing or have any experience of using this type of oil? Yeah I know that E 320 needs 85w90 but BMW Use 75w140 and MB AMG use the same thing
Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 AM

2006 E-350
check this link

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...nt-matter.html
Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S6 LP640 E500
This is new to me so please take an easy on my question. After you drain the old oil how do you position the bottle to fill the diff. as I assume the bottle needs to be elevated from the fill hole?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:59 PM
brm

2008 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by jta00r1
This is new to me so please take an easy on my question. After you drain the old oil how do you position the bottle to fill the diff. as I assume the bottle needs to be elevated from the fill hole?
Nope. It sits on the floor. That's why you buy the little pump. They're $6-10.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S6 LP640 E500
Not sure why but I can not locate the fill plug, I only see the drain?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
Originally Posted by jta00r1
Not sure why but I can not locate the fill plug, I only see the drain?
Other side...
Old 06-18-2011, 10:20 AM

2006 E320CDI
Originally Posted by mikekuriger

good luck!
Use the Gunk Motor flush at you own risk. I would not want my worn seals to be contaminated with this stuff. I wouldn't put it in my engine and much less a differential. Just use a 80w-90 GL5 oil to flush the differential and drain and fill with the 85W-90 MB Spec 235.7 fluid.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:43 AM

E220
W211 PINION BEARING

HI LOOKING FOR PART NUMNER FOR PINION BEARING FOR E220 W211 2005
HAVE NUMBER OFF BEARING NTN ECO- CR- 05A75.1. AS DEALER ONLY SELL COMPLETE DIFF.IS THERE ANOTHER PART THAT WILL WORK. THANK YOU
Old 05-31-2013, 10:27 PM

2008 E320 Bluetec
don't be stupid!

in reading this post, I'm seeing a few people trying to second guess the oil viscosity, use cheap fluids or make elementary mistakes. This is a DIY forum...you're already saving tons of money by doing the work yourself and learning about basic mechanics. Don't second guess the manufacturer - use the correct viscosity oil and work from a know procedure that is documented. You can go around in circles asking for ideas for people that have a wide range of skills. An excellent web site is http://www.alldatadiy.com ...cost a few dollars for a subscription but well worth it. the web site list procedures, torque specs, recall information, maintenance procedures, illustrations, etc...tons of stuff.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
That's an open forum----it's about subscribers/advertisers and money. There is one group that should be renamed "The Wrench of Fortune"----extremely entertaining!!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Chip2011
in reading this post, I'm seeing a few people trying to second guess the oil viscosity, use cheap fluids or make elementary mistakes. This is a DIY forum...you're already saving tons of money by doing the work yourself and learning about basic mechanics. Don't second guess the manufacturer - use the correct viscosity oil and work from a know procedure that is documented. You can go around in circles asking for ideas for people that have a wide range of skills. An excellent web site is http://www.alldatadiy.com ...cost a few dollars for a subscription but well worth it. the web site list procedures, torque specs, recall information, maintenance procedures, illustrations, etc...tons of stuff.
Pretty what I was trying to politely say. USE MB FLUIDS and don't experiement unless you are ready to buy a new diff.